Sign in to follow this  
scouserlad13

Fat fighters, Australian troops being called obese

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/National/2...ese_305359.html

Personally, me and my dad find it quite amusing, partly because he is part of the ADF. He says its all the officers who sit at their desks and are getting on in terms of age. What are your thoughts?

ROFL To fat to fight hahaha

Edited by scouserlad13

I've seen a few tubby gents since I joined. But the thing is that all ADF personnel are graded to different degrees, depending on their age and their roles. A 50 year Op-Admin will have PFA standards that differ from a someone in Supply to a 17yr old Rifleman and that's different again to a Crew Attendant in the AF to an Engineer in the Navy. The fact remains, if you don't meet the standards set in the assessments given, maybe that career path may not be for you (which is one of the reasons I'm not a rifleman)...

That said, I bet every single one of them can move like a gazelle when they need to!

Obese, in military terms, doesn't mean the same thing as obese in civilian terms. By military standards, I would be considered obese, but as a 6 foot well-built type who weighs in at a shade below 100 KG, I'm not obese as a civvie, just a bit well rounded. Before we start imagining jelly-bean clad Diggers with 50-inch girths and ten double chins tabbing it round the local Tarzan Course, it might be an idea to see what criteria the Oz Mob is actually applying.

Admittedly, the British Army's been "Fighting the Flab" for years, too, and you do see some rather heavily-built lads here and there. But they are generally Administrative SNCOs, not as SayWhat correctly points out, riflemen.