Sign in to follow this  
SFP1Ace

Aircraft shelters in SF2 are...

Well here's my thing: first time I was assigned strike mission to bomb AS I went with the default load out of 18 500 pound mk82s. At least 1 bomb hit the target (I noticed a crater in the middle of the AS) but didn't destroy it. In after action report it was said that the target was only damaged. So the next time i took them 750 pounders but with the same effect (or lack of it - hit the shelter, but didn't destroy it)...You guys think maybe I should finally use the 2000 pound ones? :D

You cant go wrong with bigger bombs. :haha:

You cant go wrong with bigger bombs. :haha:

Yeah, third's the charm, no?

BTW, the funny thing is that those shelters were of the ground/dirt-type with the camo net over it...One would have thought that you wouldn't need so much ordnance to destroy them...I can understand reinforced concrete, but a dug up hole in the sand? C'mon... :blink:

dug up hole in the sand?

Precisely :biggrin: How can you destroy a hole with a bomb, the purpose of which is to make a hole?

Hehe, I've never thought of it :lol: Well then, shall I use those mk89s implosion bombs then? ^_^

Apart from the obvious (destroying what amounts to a raised "hole" in the ground), why would one go to a heavier weapon? If there's a target inside an open-topped earthen revetment (ie., something called a "plane" or an "aircraft"), the best way to destroy it, is with a CBU. :wink:

If there's a target inside an open-topped earthen revetment (ie., something called a "plane" or an "aircraft"), the best way to destroy it, is with a CBU. :wink:

Oh, come on. Where's the fun in that? Would you rater drop a handfull of high explosive grapefruits at your target or 2000 pounds of Uncle Sam's finest in a slick case, destined to blow the target, the target's revetement and anything else in the immediate area into the next dimension with an explosion that would put the Death Star to shame?

Like most problems in life, this one can be solved with brute force. Remember, if it doesn't work, you're just not using enough.

Why not just extract the _types ini for the terrain in question, find the "Shelter3" (and Shelter2) item, and give it a 0 target value??

That way, it'll never show in you "items to strike list"

Wrench

kevin stein

Why not just extract the _types ini for the terrain in question, find the "Shelter3" (and Shelter2) item, and give it a 0 target value??

That way, it'll never show in you "items to strike list"

Wrench

kevin stein

Nice idea Wrench, but I'm not the type to give up easily. I'm definitely gonna give mk84 a try ;)