Sign in to follow this  
Spectre_USA

Why do I never get carriers?

Back in the old WoV days, I had all the Nasal Radiators taking off from the waves of the Tonkin Gulf, now with ODS it is the Persian Gulf;

post-310-1235422754_thumb.jpg

I could do like I did before and actually fly a USN aircraft, which made the carrier appear, but that is a tad rash with all the fine USAF aircraft available. :biggrin:

I figured with this new way of ground objects having their own folder, it'd be a thing of the past. What have I done wrong to offend Posieden and his denizens?

Back in the old WoV days, I had all the Nasal Radiators taking off from the waves of the Tonkin Gulf, now with ODS it is the Persian Gulf;

I could do like I did before and actually fly a USN aircraft, which made the carrier appear, but that is a tad rash with all the fine USAF aircraft available. :biggrin:

I figured with this new way of ground objects having their own folder, it'd be a thing of the past. What have I done wrong to offend Posieden and his denizens?

Now you've got me all confused. Is this Screenie from a scripted single mission, or a generated one?

I only ever fly scripted missions - I'm biased that way - but always get the carrier to behave in ODS - or WOV for that matter by ensuring that I add it as a GroundMission entry in the mission .msn file. Also I believe that the carrier in ODS is a Type (as in DS_types.ini entry) so should be placable like any other ground object in a target area - should you need one as a target, rather than a floating airfield.

Please fill me in with the details and hopefully we'll sort it out.

Thanks, regards, comrpnt.

Edited by comrpnt

Dude, ODS brings my computer to its knees. Its too intense lol. I experience random shutdowns when I play it over 3 missions.

On topic, is there a possibility of painting a carrier deck on the sea tiles and placing a building shaped and painted like the island?

Edited by bucklehead101

Dude, ODS brings my computer to its knees. Its too intense lol. I experience random shutdowns when I play it over 3 missions.

On topic, is there a possibility of painting a carrier deck on the sea tiles and placing a building shaped and painted like the island?

just install the carrier.

did you install all the pieces?

I've installed the ODS mod into its own folder and have no problems with it. I've not modded a thing beyond adding a beta aircraft in development just for grins.

I am currently flying a carrier based campaign. No problem. The carrier is there.

Played F-18 for a while and the carrier is there.

That is the thing, I just go outside and see who's with me on the way downtown. I hear, Red Crown, Python Flight airborne," hit F6, and zoom my way out to sea in the camera.

This is what I see. Every time. Intruders, Hornets, the gamut, blasting across the ocean.

This is in a campaign, and I am flying Strike Eagles outta KKMC.

The CVN's are there in the GroundObjects directory, they just don't want to show up. I reckon I'll strap on an F/A-18 in a single and see if that improves things. I bet they

will, as that is always how it worked for me in WoV. If you fly from them, they're there. If it is AI only, the desk is long, and parallel to the ocean's surface...

That is the thing, I just go outside and see who's with me on the way downtown. I hear, Red Crown, Python Flight airborne," hit F6, and zoom my way out to sea in the camera.

This is what I see. Every time. Intruders, Hornets, the gamut, blasting across the ocean.

This is in a campaign, and I am flying Strike Eagles outta KKMC.

The CVN's are there in the GroundObjects directory, they just don't want to show up. I reckon I'll strap on an F/A-18 in a single and see if that improves things. I bet they

will, as that is always how it worked for me in WoV. If you fly from them, they're there. If it is AI only, the desk is long, and parallel to the ocean's surface...

Part of the problem, I think, is that F6 will zoom you out to the other aircraft's locations but will not show any ground objects, until you (as in your player-controlled aircraft) get within a certain distance of the object yourself. The game does not render all ground objects in theatre to same on processing power - it will only render those within a certain visible distance from your current location. BUT, if the object is explicitly defined in a mission file - using a GroundMission definition, then you will be able to zoom to it using F7 (I think that's the key).

Certainly you can define the ODS carrier as a target entry (in DS_targets.ini) - but you won't see it until your close, and even then you'll fly straight through it if you try to land - well, that's my experience. Put it in a single mission though, as a GroundMission, and it'll be solid and visible from all distances. Try this out by loading a single mission in ODS (choose a land-based mission), then press F7 to zoom to the carrier. It should work and you can land on the carrier (but you won't see the rest of the fleet until you fly YOUR aircraft near to the carrier's location, as the fleet ships are defined as targets only whereas the carrier is hardcoded into the single mission file).

Hope this helps explain it.

comrpnt :-)

Actaully its something that has been around for awhile. In fact here is why from JSF_Aggie

This is a limitation of the game, and has always been this way.

The game only puts the carrier out there if it's the Player's flight taking off from it. All carrier-born AI flights takeoff and land from the water.

There's one exception, if there's an AI flight that's stationed at Player's carrier, it will at least land on it. I don't know if it'll take off from it or not, never seen it happen.

That's why you never see any carriers out there but your own (use <F7> to check). Kinda sucks, but I assume he did it that way to avoid the logic of carriers running into eachother.

Actaully its something that has been around for awhile. In fact here is why from JSF_Aggie

This is a limitation of the game, and has always been this way.

That's not totally accurate. An AI flight that's assigned to launch from the same carrier that the player's flight launches from, will use the (visible) carrier. If you have WoV, check out the "Haiphong Strike "67" mission, in the downloads section, and you'll see A-6s's and A-4's from another flight using the carrier.

That's not totally accurate. An AI flight that's assigned to launch from the same carrier that the player's flight launches from, will use the (visible) carrier. If you have WoV, check out the "Haiphong Strike "67" mission, in the downloads section, and you'll see A-6s's and A-4's from another flight using the carrier.

Yes it does but that is a single mission where it was placed by a person. Thus it will show up. The campaign engine doesn't work like that though.

I am lost in the questions.........

I have wanted to fly a strike carrier aircraft in "Create Mission" Single Player but can't get the random mission creator to make waypoints that originate and return to a carrier.

From what I have read in the forums...........that is not possible???? The Random Mission Creator will not do that ......no matter what?????

Is that the issue here............or am I not getting the right thread......

Is it possible to get the random "Create Mission" builder to automatically create a strike mission that starts from a carrier with return waypoints -----yes or no

.....I still think I am missing a yes out there in the forums somewhere???

I can get KMD to create one ............with all the addon on carrier materials in the download section.

Yet, I have been unsuccessful at getting random "Create Mission" generator to make a random theater (terrain) one.

Edited by ClutchCargo22

I am lost in the questions.........

I have wanted to fly a strike carrier aircraft in "Create Mission" Single Player but can't get the random mission creator to make waypoints that originate and return to a carrier.

From what I have read in the forums...........that is not possible???? The Random Mission Creator will not do that ......no matter what?????

Is that the issue here............or am I not getting the right thread......

Is it possible to get the random "Create Mission" builder to automatically create a strike mission that starts from a carrier with return waypoints -----yes or no

.....I still think I am missing a yes out there in the forums somewhere???

I can get KMD to create one ............with all the addon on carrier materials in the download section.

Yet, I have been unsuccessful at getting random "Create Mission" generator to make a random theater (terrain) one.

No

So what about if I'm flying a campaign mission that starts from a carrier, I fly the mission and when I return ..... the carrier's gone - but not always. It's been a while since I've done it so some of the details are fuzzy but I basically fly to the last waypoint and there's no boat. I ask Red Crown for vector to home base and she basically tells me I'm right on top of it but it's not there. Is this a waypoint problem or would I be better off noting the carrier's heading when I take off and then flying that heading when I get to the last waypoint and try to find it?

I was thinking maybe during the mission I just got off schedule, and maybe the last waypoint was where the carrier was supposed to be at a certain duration into the mission. So if I arrived there either early or late the ship wouldn't be there. Or is Red Crown right - I'm in the right spot but for some reason the carrier object isn't displayed? Is it "smart" enough to know that being a carrier home base is a moving target or is it strictly wherever the last fixed waypoint is? This is in a campaign generated mission - not a standalone single mission. This happened to me a few times in the Burning Sands '83 campaign.

Metalmania,

The boat's there - it's just moved a bit from the last waypoint. Go eyes out of the cockpit and look around, or use your ground search radar. If you haven't found her close to the final waypoint, just go into a box search and you'll bump into her. Or wander off for a bit, and watch to see where your wingies go... they never have trouble finding it!

SB

Metalmania,

The boat's there - it's just moved a bit from the last waypoint. Go eyes out of the cockpit and look around, or use your ground search radar. If you haven't found her close to the final waypoint, just go into a box search and you'll bump into her. Or wander off for a bit, and watch to see where your wingies go... they never have trouble finding it!

SB

yup. the waypoints don't exactly point to the carrier.

Thanks for the ..........No

No carrier operations for the random Single Player "Create Mission" in "Wings Over X"

Carriers are mobile ground objects, and therefore, from the sim's perspective, not an airfield. The latter is the reason why you cannot use a carrier in a randomly created single mission. You can however, script a single mission so you launch from, and recover to, a carrier. It's not that difficult.

You can also add a carrier station and a carrier to a terrain, and then add the necessary carrier based squadrons, to allow you to operate off of a carrier during a campaign. You'll find the instructions in the knowledge base.

Sorry, forgot to check back in here.

Many good answers here, which I appreciate. It really kicks immersion in the tail feathers, but is a needed evil for frames, I s'pose.

Cheers gents...

Hi guys, I'm having some problems with Le Missioneur...I have carriers, but the carrier I take off from doesn't follow the heading I give, it turns to 176 degrees,and advances on that route even if there's land...I tried static mission, no use....no matter what initial heading I choose....What am I doing wrong? THX for any info

Carriers have their own "minds" and will go whereever they go. There should be a CVN71_static I believe came with ODS. Or you can edit the _Data.ini and set the motor speed to zero.

pistitom,

When using LeMissioneur are you setting a specific route for the carrier to take. I use LeM and havent noticed that problem. A reason it could be turning that direction is due to the locaiton of the ship near the game generated "Wall".

KRFRGE

Well, never thought of that...usually I give 3-4 waypoints, with an initial heading and speed...As for the 'wall', I don't think I ever went so far up north, mainly cruised near the coast....aircrafts never had any problem going even further up north...I set the speed to zero in the data.ini, the carrier turned to 176 deg. and didn't move...At least now I now from which angle to approach :biggrin:

It really kicks immersion in the tail feathers, but is a needed evil for frames, I s'pose.

You're not suppose to be hitting F6 anyways, that's a bit of a cheat eh! :wink:  

For the ultimate immersion just keep your eyes in your own cockpit, like a real pilot. And you won't even notice those missing carriers.