Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

SBD-5 Dauntless Pak, Mid-1944

SBD-5 Dauntless Pak, Mid-1944

SBD-5 Dauntless, VB-10 USS Enterprise, Battle of the Marianas - For SF/WoV/WoE WW2 PTO Installs-

This is a semi-complete aircraft pak, based on Wolf257's SBD creating the later, and most produced version, the SBD-5. I say "semi-complete", as the aircraft LOD and the "new" cockpit folder are NOT included.

Modifications include the use of the cockpit (not included) from Geo's Hellcat, as it has the requisite look for a Navy aircraft, and the required reflector gunsight. Data ini mods include a slight upgrade in engine HP, and the 'fixing' of the rear gunners twin 30 mount. (see 'Note and Other Ramblings below for a full list of stuff), and some location tweeks to the 3 weapons stations (ie: raised them up a tad). Adjusted loadouts include the 58 gallon drop tank from Pasko's F4F Wildcat; these are identical in shape to those used on the -5 and -6 Dauntless.

A new skin, from my enhanced template, is done up in the "Tri-Color" of mid-1943 to early/mid 1944. It represents aircraft from VB-10 aboard USS Enterprise and/or VB-16 from USS Lexington II at the time of the Invasion of the Maraina Islands.

In this respect, it may also be considered a rather "generic" Tri-Colored Dauntless for the time period (albeit with some differences for some ships in how the parting line between the lower white-gray and 'intermediate blue' was done). As this was just before the "G System" of marking came into effect, it can be used for either squadron. Individual modex and BuNums for 38 aircraft are included. The BuNums are correct as they ARE for the -5 Dauntless, but I claim no historical accuracy as to if these particular aircraft were assigned to the squadrons in question. The 'holes" in the dive brakes have also been repainted, to clean up their lines. "Simulated" fabric texture covering the control surfaces has also been painted on.

A new -only available in this mod!!- WoE style carrier deck Hangar screen is included, as is the damage tga. My original early model loading screen, R.G. Smiths painting of the "Famous Five Minutes" is also enclosed. It's such a great piece of artwork, how could I resist??

-= NOTE: You MUST have the Bunyap Weapons Pak of 6/06 to get the WW2 weapons and guns and such =-

-== This aircraft has been tested in SF/WoV/WoE and post-patch WoI (8/08) as well as post 9/08 & 10/08 SF/WoV/WoE. There still are some 'issues' with prop-plane flight models, but there has been a MARKED improvement!! You use it in these Post Patch Environments at YOUR own risk. It's reccomended usage is for versions of the game at the 2006 level ONLY. ==-

-=NOTE: You MUST have Geo's F6F-3 Hellcat for the cockpit!!! If you don't, you can get it from his site:

As expected, there's a detailed readme with all the instructions needed for installation, and the usual Notes and Other Nonsense section

Good Hunting!

Wrench

Kevin Stein

Now thats my fav. ground carrier based ground attack plane of the war. Not too versatile, but it did its job and it did it good. I loved taking that bird around in IL2 until my computer messed up.