Sign in to follow this  
Piecemeal

Suggestions or Solutions Anyone?

Does anybody know what might be causing this slightly annoying little 'glitch'?

post-29988-1235491049_thumb.jpg

It's only happening with the Trooper's Tornado pit repaint. I've a sneaking suspicion it might just be my graphics card limitations but I thought I might ask anyway (just in case it's not)

...hey man, those look like cockpit reflections.

try turning "reflections" off in your graphics options screen. :ok:

either that, or find the reflection .tga's and fix em... :dntknw:

...hey man, those look like cockpit reflections.

try turning "reflections" off in your graphics options screen. :ok:

either that, or find the reflection .tga's and fix em... :dntknw:

* Cockpit reflections have been off for a long long time.

* As regards fixing tga files; I wouldn't have clue where to start :no:

Possibly due to having the open cockpit declaration set to true (though I've never seen that anomally before). If that's the case, you're looking at the "external" canopy glass.

Caution: The game's canopy "reflection" option does not work with 3rd Party cockpits, or at least those that don't use the stock canopy "reflection" tga. Turning OFF canopy "reflection" only works for stock Thudwire cockpits, or it may work if the stock tga is used, but I can't be sure.

But, there is something going on with that Tornado canopy tga's appearance. I tried it and don't see that.

It may be a problem with my graphics drivers not being powerful enough to handle the game. Over the past few months I've turned a lot of graphics settings down - which has helped things - but obviously not enough. I have the same problem with all my TW apps. Here's another example of my graphics woes (top left of screenshot):

post-29988-1235526178_thumb.jpg

As regards the Tornado pit 'glitch', it's the only one I have that problem with

Man I don't want to be the bringer of bad news, but this does not look good.

I have seen a handfull of graphics glitches related to malfunctioning hardware and theese pretty much look like it.

Now since I can't be apsolutely certain make sure to check the drivers, if it does not go away check the cooling of your gfx card...

How are other games going?

Man I don't want to be the bringer of bad news, but this does not look good.

I have seen a handfull of graphics glitches related to malfunctioning hardware and theese pretty much look like it.

Now since I can't be apsolutely certain make sure to check the drivers, if it does not go away check the cooling of your gfx card...

How are other games going?

Don't have any other games installed other than the TW collection. With regard to the graphics bugs in the shots; those 'spikey' things have been in all my TW installs since I got this laptop about six months ago. They either get bigger or smaller depending on my AOA and (thank f**k) they only appear when looking to the far left or right.

I'm planning on upgrading from 2gb RAM to 4gb as soon as I can get the money together. Hopefully it'll at least improve my fps which is something like 10-15 fps in normal flight then down to between 5 to 10fps in combat situations (campaigns).

On the subject of cooling, yeah, I have noticed the air coming out of the vent being a little 'warm' :blink: .

What graphics card are you using? I got the same issues with my Intel GMA965 whenever I upgraded drivers. The driver that originally came installed on my system is the only one that works for me.

Edited by malibu43

I hate graphics drivers!!

I agree it looks like a driver problem. I have tried to upgrade by Nvidia drivers for my 6800 and it always seems I hit problems that force me to regress to a previous version.

What graphics card are you using? I got the same issues with my Intel GMA965 whenever I upgraded drivers. The driver that originally came installed on my system is the only one that works for me.

I haven't got a clue where to find info on what kind of card I've got and what its specs are :dntknw: . Could you point me in the right direction?

A lot of mobile Nvidia graphics cards form the past year were faulty and Nvidia only came out and said it way after the fact. It is very likely that if you have a mobile geforce card that you could have a faulty one. It's no exaggeration when I say that the laptops that use the faulty cards are dropping left and right. The problem has to do with a solder issue.

http://www.slashgear.com/nvidia-notebook-g...lummet-0312385/

There are a lot of articles on it. If you have an Intel card then it could be because the Intel IGPs outright stink. I have tried playing several games on a laptop with Intel graphics (gma950 to be exact) and there are a lot of weird graphics errors.

Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Devices

Click the plus sign next to "Display Devices" and it should say what your display device is.

Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Devices

Click the plus sign next to "Display Devices" and it should say what your display device is.

Windows Vista has a different set-up but (I think) I found the filepath:

Start > Control Panel > System > Device Manager

If I'm reading this set up right, the info I need to know is under 'Display Adaptors' when I click the plus sign:

Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family

I just noticed there that by right clicking the above, I'm being given the option of updating the driver software. I take it this would mean going online to Microsoft in order to achieve this Would anyone recommend this?

You will most likely want to go to your laptop vendor. You can also try Intel.

Microsoft will have a driver but it will be only the most basic functions (they provide just enough of a driver to get the system up with basic graphics.)

Windows Vista has a different set-up but (I think) I found the filepath:

Start > Control Panel > System > Device Manager

If I'm reading this set up right, the info I need to know is under 'Display Adaptors' when I click the plus sign:

Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family

I just noticed there that by right clicking the above, I'm being given the option of updating the driver software. I take it this would mean going online to Microsoft in order to achieve this Would anyone recommend this?

Ok. You have the same graphics chip that I have. The driver I’m using right now (that came installed on my system) is from May 2007 or something like that. Every time I’ve updated the driver when a new one is available, I’ve ended up with the canopy reflection issues that you have. Unfortunately it took two complete system re-installs for me to figure out that I need to back up my working driver before trying anything new.

*edit* - here's my original thread about the problem.

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=26971&hl=

My picture isn't there anymore, but it was the exact same problem you're having. I even made the comment about the Tornado :D

I have the driver backed up on a disc at home, and I can try sending that backup to you, but I don’t know if that is a good idea or if it will work, since it’s from a different system. In the meantime, try contact intel support and see if they can provide you with a download link to the GMA965 driver from May 2007 (or close to that). Then use Driver Magician Lite ( a free download) to back up your current driver and try installing the new driver.

Hopefully, that will fix the problem.

Edited by malibu43

That's some good info bud. I'm thinking what I might do at this juncture is leave it to the experts, ie, I might have a chat with my brother who builds PCs for people in his spare time. I'll also show him the info from this thread.