MadJeff

New Site Layout - Please Vote!

New site layout  

26 members have voted

1. 1. New site layout

• Love it!
    • Hate it!
    • Do not care either way.

I wanted to give a public preview of the proposed site layout and get some feedback on it from all of you. The graphics are still being worked on (T-bone is currently working hard on that...) and are not yet complete, but the text layout is just about how I would like to organize it.

I'm trying to go for a "everything at your fingertips" approach to this. I want to give a clear compact view of everything new on the site at the top of the frontpage, with everything onsite within a single click of the frontpage. All without getting too cluttered. Not an easy task... :blink: There is still some missing stuff, like a "Last 10 forum posts" block and a few other pieces of code I'm working on. But I want to make sure I'm working in the right direction here.

So, now's your chance to voice your opinions and help guide what you want to see out of the site. Also, please be specific on what you like and do not like. B)

Jeff,

I think it's all a question of compromise, and it might be a bit difficult to judge from a person who comes often on the site. I think that for the people who hang out alot here, it'll be pleasant to have everything at our fingertip, just a click away.

On the other hand, if there is less eye-candy (i.e. thumbnails related to the various articles), then people might be less inclined to click on the title for a further read. (Some people do not take the time to really scroll down much)

Also, this might be just my connection today or the server, but things seem slower.

But on the whole, for myself, I give it a positive note. Good work!

I was just about to write some negative feedback, when it dawned upon me that it might be the browser I'm using (Opera 7.21) that makes it look unpolished.

Tried it in IE and it looks very nice!

If you can fix the column alignments for other browsers, it's a bonus!

I've checked it in netscape, mozilla and Safari (Mac) but not Opera... I'll see what I can do.

Not getting much feedback here folks, I take it no complaints means you all love it? :D

My preferred browser is Opera 7, too (for speed so text is fine).

The column alignments are definitely not right in Opera.

Image14.jpg

How do these new graphics look to you guys?

T-Bone

I like your current approach best. Keep changing things all the time.  :D

Very Funny ;)

I think it looks great. Hell...it's better looking than my ex-wives.

ex-wives

Yes that means more than one. As they say "The 4th One's A Charm". No wait.....that's the 3rd.....lol. Boy, I can see the negitive feedback now.

For the new visitor, it can be a bit overwhelming (ie. information overload.) I remember feeling that way myself with my first few hits here.

But once you understand how the site is structured and get your bearings, it is very handy to have so many different areas of the site clickable on the front page. It is clean and organized.

I like your current approach best. Keep changing things all the time.  :D

Hey, you wouldn't want things to get boring and repetitive around here would ya? :lol:

Preciselessly the point, My Good Man! I really DO like it when you change things. All of the layouts have been fine as far as I'm concerned. It's just nice to see new stuff instead of the same thing all the time. :D

OK, here's one that's purely text. On the news page, latest forum posts, could it be indicated to which forum each of the latest posts apply? I often click only to find that the post is in a forum that I don't usually visit. Can't tell by the title of the post alone.

Shouldn't be a problem, I just have not had a chance to get back to that script yet... ;)