MK2

Screen Shots, Videos, Media, OFF Posters

Jasta 3 launched a huge surprise attack against my home airfield. (I guess we pissed them off about something!) While me and the rest of the boys from RNAS 8 tried to scramble to get airborne, a flight of Nieuport 17s from ESC 79 tangled with the Huns to keep them occupied. There were so many planes in the sky when I first looked up after take off that I damn neared crashed my plane just watching them all tear it up in a huge furball. It is an impressive dogfight with the first few moments of it spent just trying to latch onto a target without letting a Hun pilot latch onto my six. The video is from take off to landing, one single take with no editing (except for added text, of course). Once again, since the length of the video reached 10 minutes, my editor refused to convert it all to 1080 HD, so rather than splice it up into two 5 minute parts, I converted it to 720 HD so you could watch the dogfight totally uninterrupted.

I hope you enjoy watching it as much as I did flying it. Damn I love this sim.

Hellshades Campaign Video #23 (10:00) 720 HD

Enjoy,

Hellshade

Thank you guys! Are those red-white barberpoles still in use in England and America?

Hellshade, I count 19 German Albatros over your field. That would indeed be the whole Staffel attacking you.

They are not one of the best units, as far as I know, but the sheer number of craft is impressive.

You were quite lucky with that assistance of the French. I very rarely had another German flight over my fields.

Would help to get airborne, surely.

I'll check for your video later this evening.

I had so much fun that I had to do a "Refly Last Mission", even though it was so incredibly dangerous. The weather is on AI Generated so this time it's overcast with no rain. I saw at least two custom painted german planes during the fight so apparently there were at least two aces up there. This time I broke the video up into 2 parts so that I could convert them to true 1080 HD format. 720 just looks too grainy for me and I find it distracting. Anyways, despite being broken up into two parts, this one is also once again filmed in a single shot from take off to landing. Also, I changed tactics and instead of pursuing a plane until I got the kill, I did more switching to targets of opportunity unless a quick kill was possible.

Refly Mission (4:36) part 1 of 2 - 1080 HD

Refly Mission (6:04) part 2 of 2 - 1080 HD

Enjoy,

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Someone please refer me to the sticky on how to take screen shots is there is one.

Thanks

Welcome to OFF, GHunter!

If you press "Escape" ingame, you get a menue; click there on "Controls".

Check what key is assigned to "Screenshots" I think it's F12.

You can assign another key or button, if you want.

You could make "Screenshots" by pausing the sim in a good moment, go to

outside views (F4) and zoom in and out with + or -.

The screenshots are saved here:

(your computer name) > documents > CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields

Have fun!

PS: If you send me a PM with your town and country/state, I will add your name

to our OFF Forum Pilots maps. Thanks!

They actually seemed to be the least allowed to enjoy colour, nbryant. Nice one! Perhaps - can you get the yellow a bit "warmer"?

CANOEING IN THE ARGONNE FORREST

I think it was ZoomZoom (long time not seen) who told me that Albatros can be used for canoeing.

I had to try that, when we clashed with THREE flights of SPAD VII over the Argonne forrest today. Couldn't save one of my wingmen,

but I got down two of the "Storcks", before my engine was hit, and I was descending with too little engine power.

If you have ever flown over the Argonne forrest, you may know: it's veeeery large. No space for landings, where I was.

So I had to take the river.

ZoomZoom, canoeing only works with engine shot out of the craft, I suppose - my bird sank within seconds! Good I can swim...

They are excellent for other water sports as well, Olham.

Albatros_skier_01.jpg

:grin:

BTW, your new "barber pole" Alb is a beauty Sir. I feel your pain trying to line up all those stripes. Well done.

Thank you, Lou! Still a work in progress - not yet all fitting, but I'll continue trying. Yeah, the Albatros as a "sea bird" has many talents. :yikes:

PS Over 5,000 views since the video thread opened just about 4 months ago!

I can see why. That is, without doubt, the best video I've seen yet. Between your flying and FRAPS, the victim is almost always on screen. Hollywood has a place waiting for you choreographing dogfights!

Masterly flying, shooting, directing and cutting, Hellshade. :good:

Only question that remains open: seeing your flying style, I ask myself, how often you collide??? :stars:

I saw at least two custom painted german planes during the fight so apparently there were at least two aces up there.

Aye, in the second vid, the first chap you had a pop at was Menckhoff, immediately recognisable from the 'M' on the fuselage sides and the underside of the lower wings. The silver-bodied fellow was Kohze - had to watch it again to check for the KO on the side, first time through I thought you might have had Jasta 11 in the mix too!

Great vids, HS, I'd like to see you put some 'in character' commentary with them specualting about the aces... definitely one to link from the OFF official site. It's not often you get such a scene in a scramble mission.

Olham......... you have raised the bar to a whole new level. Damn, I need to go back and practice. Not as elite as Olhams Alb, here is a pic of a reskinned Nieup 11 dressed in camo. She looks nice in game so feel free to try her, and her mates in the DL section. Posted here is a skin representing Norman Prince, Esc 124, 1916. Included in the DL section will be one representing Bert Hall, Esc 124, 1916, as well as two representing Jim McConnell also of Esc 124. "Mac" as he was known initially marked his crate with his nickname Mac, but later changed to a foot representing an affiliation he had with a society in college. For Bert Hall I found a pic that kind of shows the text type on his crate and came close with the font (I think). Before anyone complains, yes the starboard side text is reversed......... thats how he did it! I took the liberty of adding the squadron logo but do not think it was in place early on in 1916. Would love some constructive criticism and any links anyone has to better show these obscure aircraft markings. I have around 30 links now but always searching for more information.

normanprince1.png

normanprince2.png

Edited by nbryant

nbryant, some more nice skins you have going there Sir. In particular I like the Spad you posted on September 29.

Olham, lining up those stripes on your new kite reminds me of Bristol F2b #D8084, (flown by Capt Sydney Dalrymple of 139 Squadron RAF), which I did about a year-and-a-half ago:

OFF_Bristol_F2b_t_RAF_139.jpg

I was swearing at the walls on more than one occasion with that one myself.

nbryant, your Nupe looks very good - I like how the roundels just shine through the top wing camo.

Are these guys you name not already in OFF - or are they from Squadrons we don't have yet?

(I'm not so well informed about the French departement).

Lou, I had thought the Brisfit would be easy, as square as it is? Not?

I have found, that Pearson's profile is wrong, in that it presents a top, that doesn't match with the fuselage sides.

First I thought I'd start all over again, but now I don't know, wether the top view or the side view is right, and so

I will just carry on with what I have. The tail section is extremely distorted on the 3D model, and a real PITA.

Olham, I wouldn't say that because the Brisfit fuselage is square that it is easy, just slightly less a pain in the arse. And if you think about, all the planes in OFF have a "square" fuselage when it comes to skinning. It's just harder to know where the edges are on the round bodies. As to your Alb, I would bet anything that the real aircraft had continuous lines running around the body just as you are showing in your work. The fellow swinging the paint brush 90 years ago would have pulled the stripe right round from the top and down both sides, IMHO.

Actually, I found the SPAD XIII rather "friendly" to skinners. But on some planes, the 3D body distorts the skin a lot.

And on the Albatros D.II, a bit will get cut out and left away. Now that is fun to find out where and how!

The Camel has similar missing bits and I found most of them working on Lt. Jan Olieslagers' bird. It does get interesting trying to sort them out.

Masterly flying, shooting, directing and cutting, Hellshade. :good:

Only question that remains open: seeing your flying style, I ask myself, how often you collide??? :stars:

Thanks Olham. I do my best to make the action exciting to watch. I like to try and make people feel as if they are right in the cockpit experiencing the thrill of air combat for themselves. As far as how often I collide, it's suprisingly rare unless I haven't flown for a few days and jump into a plane that I'm not exceptionally familiar with. Most collisions I do have tend to be tears at the edge of the bottom wing that hurt my ability to manuever rather than send me earthward in a spinning fireball. Though it is true that sometimes I get in a rut when first returning to flying and crash several times in a row before I am "warmed up" again. I have no choice but to fly that way though anyways. I am such a poor shot that the only way for me to hit the enemy planes is to make sure they fill my screen before I pull the trigger. I can't make a defelection shot to save my arse.

Hellshade

Yes Olham, red and white barberpoles are still used by some barbers in Britian. And the more I think about it, please upload that beauty when you have finished it. It is a stunner.

Nice job nbryant, you keep getting better and better.

Lou, that Brisfit of yours has been a favourite of mine. Nice to see it again.

Hellshade, that is a real butt clenching moment if ever I saw one!

Aye, in the second vid, the first chap you had a pop at was Menckhoff, immediately recognisable from the 'M' on the fuselage sides and the underside of the lower wings. The silver-bodied fellow was Kohze - had to watch it again to check for the KO on the side, first time through I thought you might have had Jasta 11 in the mix too!

Great vids, HS, I'd like to see you put some 'in character' commentary with them specualting about the aces... definitely one to link from the OFF official site. It's not often you get such a scene in a scramble mission.

Thanks Dej. I'm very glad that you enjoy the flicks.

I try to do fully voiced videos when I can, but my computer is in the bedroom and I usually have to work on them at night when my wife is either studying for college or sleeping. That makes doing the voice over part harder to get to, plus it certainly adds a lot of time into the editing process itself. I have a few fully voiced campaign videos though and some quick clips too. I agree that it adds to the experience significantly, especially over trying to read text while watching the air combat. Now if we can just get Steven Spielberg to finance me to do this full time, I'll make a hell of a movie for ya. :rofl:

Hellshade

nbryant, your Nupe looks very good - I like how the roundels just shine through the top wing camo.

Are these guys you name not already in OFF - or are they from Squadrons we don't have yet?

(I'm not so well informed about the French departement).

Not in the game that I found Olham. They were a few of the obscure members of the original Lafayette Escadrille...... Esc 124. I was posting the Bert Hall craft but wasn't thrilled with the text on the aircraft so will rework it. The Norman Prince craft was from a drawing. The Jim McConnell crate is from text in a book as is the Bert Hall with correct tail numbers. Trying to find some of the lessor known aircraft to add to my game list.

Yes Olham you are right about the Spad XIII. It is pretty straight forward with only a few spots that need special attention to fix. For a real challenge, try the Nieuport 17 or 17bis etal. On the bis there are sections of the wings that are not there... or more specifically there is a section of one of the wings that is a mirror of the other side. When you get into skinning these things you often find things you don't expect. But then again, that's what makes it fun :yikes:

Beard

On the Albatros, the top wing halfs are somehow overlapping each other. I had designed a red triangle

with the peak ending at the wing's forward edge, but I got a shorter one. Must work on that again, too.

Yes Olham you are right about the Spad XIII. It is pretty straight forward with only a few spots that need special attention to fix. For a real challenge, try the Nieuport 17 or 17bis etal. On the bis there are sections of the wings that are not there... or more specifically there is a section of one of the wings that is a mirror of the other side. When you get into skinning these things you often find things you don't expect. But then again, that's what makes it fun :yikes:

Beard

BB, apart from a bit of tweaking on the wings due to the issues you mentioned, I found the N17 to be one of the more forgiving OFF planes to paint. Here is one I did for my pilot Nels Larsson, flying with the Lafayette Escadrille:

OFF_Nels_Larsson_Esc_Laf_N17_01.jpg

Maybe I just got lucky though on this Nieup. For me, the worst plane I've had to skin has been the Strutter. I lost count how many adjustments I had to make to overcome the wrap issues and missing bits on that kite!

On some schemes the anomalies don't show up. I found problems when trying to match a fish scale pattern that wraps around the fuselage of the regular N17, there is also an issue with cowling on that bird which takes considerable tweaking to make a pattern wrap around it. The N17bis and N24 the top of the fuselage is a little hinky, what you paint for the outside doesn't show up the same from inside the plane. That is also the one with the strange wing hiatus.

The Fokker DVIII was straight forward except it had a lot of stuff that isn't used that you have to identify. Each one is different and I tend to make a whole new skinning template when I start a bird, that is where the problems show up. If you are just altering an existing skin it not so much of a problem.

I haven't attempted a strutter, but I did fool around with a Tripe and found there is an alignment problem on horizontal stabilizer. This is one I was just doing quickly and was not making a template for.

That N17 of Nels Larsson is a beauty.

Beard

Edited by Burning Beard

Yes, it's a very beautiful Nupe, Lou!