Sign in to follow this  
ndicki

SF2 installation possibilities

At the moment, my install of SF2 is in the standard place, base files in C Program Files, and mods in My Documents - also on the C drive. The problem is that I configured my C drive really for the OS only, and it's getting a bit tight in there. Most of my other flight sim stuff is on D or E, the way I'd set out to do it.

Is there a way to move the modded files (about 10GB!) from My Docs to somewhere else? Obviously, in order to put the base files somewhere else, it's a simple question of uninstalling and reinstalling.

Also, with SFG, I had a number of separate "theatre-specific" installs; Israel, Europe, etc, so as to avoid inappropriate aircraft appearing in Quick Combat, for example. Is there a way to get a second install of SF2 to look for a different mods folder? Otherwise, there's not much point in thinking of separate installs...

You can move the Documents folder to another location/drive if you want. Just right click on "Documents" and go to the "location" tab. You'll see the path there. Type in a new path and click "move..." and it will move the directory for you. If you've got that much in it, be prepared for it to take some time, though! :wink:

Same Q here, running under XP. Only I have almost ALL mods available here (oodles!).

This is what is what is stopping me to buy SF2. I totally disagree with Micro$oft's policy to make you put almost everything in the My Documents folder.

I'm using xp and my drive is partitioned so i just put all non system data in the D drive :biggrin:

This is what is what is stopping me to buy SF2. I totally disagree with Micro$oft's policy to make you put almost everything in the My Documents folder.

I don't understand. I've got SF2 on my Vista PC and it's not in my 'My Documents' folder.

Has anyone done another install? And how do you do it?

Why would you need another install now?

I mean, you can create two folders on HDD with stuff for different mods arranged in a proper fashion. To switch between them you'd only need to change one line in options.ini in mydocuments.

Possibly someone could code a utility storing locations of mod folders and switching them (i.e. editing path line in options.ini) with a couple of clicks.

I'm using xp and my drive is partitioned so i just put all non system data in the D drive :biggrin:

same here, except that my D drive is a completely independent second drive.

Just set up the pointers (move) and everything works just fine.

that is how I've been set up for years - which protected my data from being wiped out by a C drive virus meltdown.

When I installed SF2 it just went automatically to that spot and loaded up without any issues.

now - I haven't had time (yet) to build extra installs of SF2 - but it should work the same way. Just move or copy whatever you want into the appropriate folder.

2nd install in SF2 case is merely another copy of core game files. It's the options file in user folder that determines where the mods are.

We had the same trouble in CFS3. The equivalent of the options and controls files go into a folder in Application Data and are hidden files. And if you come out on an aircraft which has a problem with its sound alias or weapons, say, the sim won't reload without your going into the options folders and deleting the last aircraft used file. Every single newbie's got caught in uninstalling and reinstalling tens of times until he learns the trick. It's a pain in the arse, even if once you know how it works, it only takes seconds. SF does better from that point of view.

And there's the multiple install problem, too. A genius called Martin Wright (he really does some brilliant ©FS imaging programs which many of you will already know) came up with a little tool which creates a second set of folders in the application data folder, and changes the names. Brilliant. So you can have as many installs as you like. I have six or seven... We need that sort of thing here too, but where the CFS folder is just a tiny options folder, in SF3 you're looking at several GB. That's too much. Good idea to begin with, but not practical. Now imagine three installs at 10GB each, just sitting in your My Documents folder... My C drive is only 30GB anyway - it's a partitioned-off bit of a bigger drive.

2nd install in SF2 case is merely another copy of core game files. It's the options file in user folder that determines where the mods are.

I did look... But I'll look again. I hope you're right! :yes:

Gr. Viper, you're a hero! Dead right! I'd looked in the main folder, not in the mods folder.

We're in business... And that means multiple installs, too... Just change the folder name...

The same here. My C: drive is reserved only for the OS and swap file. Iam not using the "My Documents" folder at all. Is it possible to put my "Mods" folder where the core game files are (i.e. E:/Games/SF2)? I don't like the idea to have the game split into multiple locations. I don't like the idea of using M$ Windows either, but that is a different story :rolleyes:

Edited by The Trooper

Take note that all other upcoming titles like Strike Fighters: Vietnam, SF: Europe, SF: Israel will make heavy use of that structure because it will all be one merged install.

I believe TK will implement some theater constraints to aircraft depending on the selected map.

But I haven't seen it in the .ini files so far (or I missed it).

My current scheme is keep the SF2 family as stock with some modded airplanes.

Use old generation SF games for full conversion mods.

The games are not that expensive anyway so I can manage to buy all of them.

Edited by jomni

OK, this is it, the definitive, at least for XP Home.

The folder "C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2" must stay in place. If you move it, it will be regenerated.

None of the subfolders are necessary and can be deleted at will. the options.ini file however MUST be in this folder or the Sim will assume it is running for the first time and regenerate ALL the base files which you would expect here in a new install.

Meanwhile, your base install and mods folder can be anywhere you like. Mine now have this structure:

Core files: E:\Program Files\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2

Mod files: E:\Program Files\ThirdWire\Mods\StrikeFighters2

The only thing you need to do is open the options.ini file which is in "E:\Program Files\ThirdWire\Mods\StrikeFighters2" (ie, your modded folders folder) and change the final line to reflect the whereabouts of the modded folder. You then copy this into the folder in My Documents, allowing it to overwrite the one there. Also change the line in Unlimited Options.ini, but you can leave it where it is. No need to copy it into My Documents.

Fire it up and check it works. It will run without access to the mods folder, so if you find that you can't find your addons in the UI screen, then you've typed the path in wrongly. You'll also find that the base aircraft, etc, files have regenerated into "C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2"

Check the paths in both options.ini and Unlimited Options.ini in your mods folder, and copy the correctly-pathed options.ini back into "C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2"

Should work.

Note that now you can do multiple installs but have to change the path each time in options.ini before starting to load the sim. There will probably be a way round this, but it'll take someone a bit cleverer who knows how to make a simple name-changing batch file.

Edited by ndicki