Sign in to follow this  
ST0RM

WD My Book

Got one of these for Christmas. It's the 1Tb version. I'm curious what this software does for me and if I really need it. From what I've read, the HD does an autobackup if programmed to do so, but I just want to use it as a huge storage device.

What do you think?

Jeff

Norton Save & Restore is the best backup software you can use IMO. Its based on Ghost, and so you have many of the advantages of the enterprise product.

Unfortuantely, I think I have to install the software to get the computer to recognize the external hard drive anyway. It's a 500Mb install also. WTH?

I have one the the 500 'books that Jen got for me last year. I don't recall installing any of the software that came with it....(though I might of since I somehow partitioned it).

Unfortuantely, I think I have to install the software to get the computer to recognize the external hard drive anyway. It's a 500Mb install also. WTH?

I have a couple of MyBooks and neither require loading any software. You should be able to just plug them into a USB port.

Same here, I have a 500 GB MyBook, and I have not used the included software to perform backups.

There's no reason or need for that software if you only want to use it as another drive. The software can be useful for other things, like "one touch backup" or restoring images or what not, but it absolutely should work without it.