Sign in to follow this  
Firecage

Improving the Aim

Just a fast note and a thanks to Peter and other Mod makers.

I have pretty much every FM Peter has done up... so far I have a slightly modded version of his gundata.ini (im at about 77% of the original Ammo weight). I have also added custom versions of the Machine Guns for Rear gunners and gave them a bit more fire power (about 85% of original) and gave them a bit quicker movement / Tracking response. THis has made it where you can only get behind a bomber for a very VERY short time before they chew you up.

The result of this has made it where I am getting real good at aiming for the pilot kill and not just plane damage or engine damage. Im getting pretty darn good at pilot kills lately with all the new mods forcing me to find a better way to kill (with the added ammo weight the AI is a bit faster to kill the human as well).

The only thing im running into now is AI planes pull right in behind bombers most times for a shot and pretty much get turned into mulch :blink:

Any thoughts on ways to get AI ti attack for angles more and not just sit behind the bombers and get chewed up as bad? My squad is about 80% dead in a short time over attacking bombers from directly behind.

Edited by Firecage

Thats precisely why I did what i did with gundata and the special guns - a tradeoff between player and especially the AI versus AI gunners, and player in a two seater with AI gunner versus other AI.

Doesn't work well? Anyway, let us know how it progresses - its tricky.

I don't believe you can change the way the AI will make a gun attack.

Edited by peter01

Yes Peter Im very happy on the FMs and the GUN data ideas.

I was afraid the AI couldn't change the attack method. Yea it seems to be very tricky balancing the AI vs AI gunners. I wanted the bombers to be dangerous to attack but need the fighter AI to be a bit better than sitting right behind the bombers as well.... :biggrin:

Guess I sould increase the pilot resupply rate in the campaign so they can be replaced faster. Kind of a warped way of doing it but I would atleast have more pilots to keep the squad going.

I think I may try just slowing the tracking speed back down but keep the ammo weight up where the bomber gunners have lethal guns but a bit slower on the response times.

:good:

Hmmm...I always thought the gunners were too deadly. :biggrin: I ty to make them as inaccurate as possible and they'll still get you if you aren't careful. I try and make a fast diving attack then come back up underneath for another shot. Continue climb and repeat. The AI has always been "rear gunner fodder". :blink: Doesn't make intercepts much fun.

BTW...I settled on %80 for bullet weight. Seems about right to me.