Sign in to follow this  
quack74

Pfalz D.III Skins

Hey all. I have been working on a few Pfalz D.III skins. They are pretty much for generic use. Only because of the lack of good Jasta photos and because almost every D.III looked different. Due to the nature of the model being so distorted on the skin template, it's almost impossible to do many custom skins.

But check this out :clapping: . I've made it possible for the D.III to utilize the game generated markings. National as well as Personal. I know the markings on Pfalz's were zig zaging and loaded w stripes. But for now the game markings look pretty good. Not historicaly correct, but they'll due. Right? :dntknw:

A whole lot of time went into figuring out the decals and their positioning. So I hope you like them.

I put most of the "PersonalA" markings in the "D" folder in the Pfalz directory. I took away most of the smaller decals so more stripes would appear. And I created random serial numbers ( D.III 4223/17) and so on. About 20 I think. They will appear randomly. So not every plane is exactly the same. Lot of work! :blink:

But the problem is, since I have'nt seen any good photos of any flight lines, I kind of made up a couple of Jastas to use in the game. Along with the all white and Lozenged D.III's from the download. Tweaked them a bit (weathering and such)

I made a Jasta 10, Jasta 4, and a Jasta 30. Again I dont know about the accuracy at all. So before I post all this in the download section I would like some input from you guys. If they're good enough than thats great. If not, no problem. Remember I'm trying to create a Jasta Skin not an individual ace skin. So everybody can use different D.III's. Remember, the markings now work with the mission dates.

Have a look, (the Jasta 4 is all decal work so be gentle :wink: )

If someone else already did this with the Pfalz D. III then, holy crap! :blink:

Jasta 10 has yellow

Jasta 4 blue tail and blk stripes

Jasta 30 orange diamonds

And a Jasta 7 to show national markings

Edited by quack74

Quack, As usual you never cease to amaze me, WOW!! I truly appreciate your hard work, the skins look great and the phalz is one ,if not my all time favorite. Keep up the good work.

Yours Respectfully ,

VonTobler

Due to the nature of the model being so distorted on the skin template, it's almost impossible to do many custom skins.

That kind of distortion has often driven me crazy, and I am amazed that you were able to overcome the problems. VERY nice work! :biggrin:

Nice work, Quack. I know this is a very difficult model to paint or decal on, because of the distortions in the rear fuselage. Looking forward to these. Thanks for taking on one of my favorite planes. I don't know if you'll be able to use them, but you can have my set of weight decals if you would like them. They vary the weight slightly on the aircraft, by a couple of kilos. Let me know if you want them.

Heck

I relly like the DIII and Im grabbing these now. Great work :clapping:

These really look nice, and the Pfalz is my favorite WWI acft. Are these submitted yet for public download?

Thanks again for all the hard work.

Mike D.

Thanks quack! The distortions are mapping issues, no? :dntknw:

Beautiful.. Absolutely wonderful...

Please upload asap...

Lastly, for the love of all that is Holy please make some Pfalz D.XII Skins for us!!!!!!

Great Job,

IL28

Hey Heck, I know you did some Jasta 10 D.III's. You have an opinion on my Jasta 10 skin. I'm not sure of the tail being all yellow. I know the ones you did had different color tails. What about the rest of the Jasta's D.III's tails? Were they just fuselage color? Or would yellow be ok. I dont have any books on the Pfalz D.III. Only pictures from the net. I've seen a painting with yellow tailed D.III's of Jasta 10. So thats why I did it. Like I said before, I'm not trying to make a custom historically correct ace skin. I just want to make a generic Jasta 10 skin. The Aces can be added later like the ones Heck made. Mine will help create a full flight of D.lll's. Each having different serial numbers and personal markings at random.

If everyone thinks what I've done so far is ok than thats cool with me. I just want to tweak the Decals a bit more (Personal markings) to try to get them a little more "Pfalz like". What ever that means :dntknw:

Also like I mentioned before. The markings will now be game generated. So now there will be three german markings for the Pfalz. I,m surprised no body did this yet. Or they did and I didnt know. :wink:

Hey Heck, I know you did some Jasta 10 D.III's. You have an opinion on my Jasta 10 skin. I'm not sure of the tail being all yellow. I know the ones you did had different color tails. What about the rest of the Jasta's D.III's tails? Were they just fuselage color? Or would yellow be ok. I dont have any books on the Pfalz D.III. Only pictures from the net. I've seen a painting with yellow tailed D.III's of Jasta 10. So thats why I did it. Like I said before, I'm not trying to make a custom historically correct ace skin. I just want to make a generic Jasta 10 skin. The Aces can be added later like the ones Heck made. Mine will help create a full flight of D.lll's. Each having different serial numbers and personal markings at random.

If everyone thinks what I've done so far is ok than thats cool with me. I just want to tweak the Decals a bit more (Personal markings) to try to get them a little more "Pfalz like". What ever that means :dntknw:

Also like I mentioned before. The markings will now be game generated. So now there will be three german markings for the Pfalz. I,m surprised no body did this yet. Or they did and I didnt know. :wink:

From what I've seen, and there's very few photos out there, even of Jasta 10, you have it pretty much right. In the very famous line up shot of Jasta 10 at Courtrai, almost all the aircraft you can see have yellow noses, yellow cabane and interplane struts, and yellow landing gear struts and wheel covers. It's hard to see many tails of the aircraft, and the one that's easiest to see is obviously the same yellow as the nose, but I think this is the one area of the aircraft where pilots seemed to choose personal colors, like Hecht's green tail, Heldmann's blue tail, etc. For a generic Jasta 10 scheme, I would probably default to what I've described above with the addition of the entire tail unit in yellow, like you have it. Since there's so few photos available, I think you've given us a very good generic skin for Jasta 10. If you're able to locate the book, Pfalz Scout Aces of WW1 from Osprey, you'll get some beautiful profliles in that book, and some great ideas for skins for this airplane, like Von der Marwitz's Jasta 30 Pfalz D-IIIa, which is the coolest dark wine color, an awesome looking aircraft. Keep up your great work, Quack. If I can scrape together any profiles you might not have seen, I'll let you know, and I can email them to you, if you like. Or, on my day off, Sunday, I can put together some detailed color notes on the profiles I have in Pfalz Aces. Some nice looking aircraft there. One thing I did notice from perusing the photos in that book and looking at the more modern profiles. I'm now a firm believer that Pfalz D-IIIs and D-IIIas delivered from the factory had Silbergrau struts, not plain varnish, as is often depicted in profiles.

On a side note, for you modding folks out there. You can use p10ppy's great gun removal trick to remove the guns from the upper decking of your D-III, and use one of two methods to move them into the cowl. 1) You can paint on the openings in the cowl and move the gun position so the muzzle flash resides there (I don't have the painting skills to do this, so I leave it up to you, Geezer, or Gumpy to do it. In case you haven't noticed, my painting skills suck :biggrin: ). 2) You can use Capun's Spandau gun pods to put guns protruding in this position, although that's not historically accurate, they were under shrouds, and you do have to mount them upside down to keep them from protruding from other parts of the fuselage, so they might disturb the purists. By doing this, you can create a D-III, and a D-IIIa, by leaving the guns in the second version, although this version won't have an accurate tailplane shape, or lower wingtip shape. I've done it just for fun, because I can accept the inaccuracies of this model, but I haven't posted it, because many here seem to like a good degree of accuracy in their models, and neither of my versions do that.

Any help with these skins that I can give you, Quack, just ask. You're a light years better skin painter than I am, thank you for taking this up. I'm looking forward to downloading everything you do.