Sign in to follow this  
peter01

Rise of Flight review on SimHQ Forum

From article .... "Early build yes, but there was enough content to see this title has every reason to warrant the excitement WWI aviation fans are anticipating from the final release."

Its not a long review if you exclude the pictures, but the first. It also has a couple of attached vids from the preview.

http://www.simhq.com/_air12/air_400a.html

Edited by peter01

I saw a fresh build yesterday in devs office. Really awesome.

Russian release will include N. 17 :tongue:

Thanks Gr.Viper. The N17 is one of my favourites, I hope its made available as an addon aircraft for the Western release.

I have to ask for the greater good of those interested in ROF :biggrin: :

What else can you tell us?

Theres a thread at simHQ if you want to post directly.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topi...tml#Post2681654

Thanks for sharing all these little gems.

This looks absolutely fabulous - a WW1 flight-sim fans dream come true. I so hope this doesn't crash and burn!

What else can you tell us?

The game will require an online account to play. Even offline. They promised that traffic in case of offline play will be minimal and even a crappy dial-up line will do. Add-ons and updates will take up to 200mb, but are planned to eat about 50mb on average.

The whole thing will be a bit like Steam or Battlefield or some MMOG - you buy a box or order it online, then you can go to their store and buy planes for much smaller sums. Or rather the right to fly those planes. E.g. there may not be a flyable SE5a in the box release, but you might see AI or other players online fly them - to get yourself into its pit, you'll have to pay.

Also if a dedicated modders group decides to work with them and makes a plane of proper quality, they can put it up in store, sharing profit. They told me OFF team was really interested.

Thanks Gr.Viper.

I guess some people are going to kick and scream about the online connection. Doesn't worry me personally, I'm always online.

Potential involvement of the OFF Team is great news. I always thought that the modelling work done by that team was excellent - limited in part by CFS3 of course. Main person Winder? They are true ww1 enthusiasts. And this game looks so good its likely to grow and grow over many years.

Very interesting.

Game physics model impulse the airframe gets from each "heartbeat" of the engine. So N.28 shakes differently as part of its cylinders gets switched off.

I stare at images/video clips of ROF in total disbelief :shok::clapping:

In about 17 years time, flight sims have gone from this old classic...

CYAC.jpg

to this current effort...

ROF.jpg

Need to get an entirely new computer for this one!

Hey Mr Craig, maybe we'll meet online finally!

I agree its pretty incredible.

But ROF of course isn't just pretty graphics. Its a huge leap in modelling flight physics ... to me thats even more incredible, I'm still shaking my head in disbelief that a WW1 sim could be so advanced.

I posted the impulse thing at simHQ Gr.Viper, its quite amazing to me in the sense that given the current flight models around, whether ww1 or ww2, it wouldn't have even been missed! But a great addition....perhaps finally, we'll really feel like we are flying early warplanes.

I really wonder what else they have developed ...

I really wonder what else they have developed ...

Collision with every single tree on the map with effect depending on whether you hit the braches or the trunk...

The option to start with cold engine and spend several minutes warming it up. :biggrin:

AI that flies same FM as player and struggles when landing a damaged plane.

LOL Gr.Viper, what more?

So.... have you come across anything on guns, eg, loadout options, reloading (wing guns)?

Haven't seen wing guns :blush: Forgot to ask :sorry: I only saw Hadley Page and Breguet 14 with flaps. And a lovely Pfalz D.XII

The have rear gunners lively animated and sitting normally until the enemy approaches. Not the ever-on-guard droids.

There aren't many guns options. Amount of ammo, gun convergence. They told me they thought of adding adjustable pich for guns but then decided it could leave new players confused.

Thanks. All great stuff...

Sure they will include gun loadouts sometime...I'm patient, can't ask for too much, otherwise we'll never see it!

I'm interested in how they will simulate the loading of a wing gun - with graphics? limiting a pilots ability to fly etc.

Its a really a minor thing I guess, but these Devs are amazing, so nothing would surprise.

Well, so far you can unjam both guns at the same time without losing control.

Online account needed for single-player? Sounds like a non-starter for me. They'll probably want some kind of service running on your pc. Maybe a nice root-kit to make sure they know what you are doing on YOUR PC.

Then of course on Saturday night I want to play, but their server is down, so, well, too bad.

This is porked.

Back to First Eagles for me.

PS: If they want online authentication they should do it the way GALCIVII does it - you authenticate once to the server when you install, then you can play anytime you want, internet connection or not. Doesn't sound like they are going that way, though.

I couldn't agree more with Junior Member,They take a beautiful sim and then screw it up by making you fly online?

That means you can't shut off backround programs,which also means ,you'll have to have a buy a very fast computer to run it.

I have games that have "Steam" and got rid of them because I couldn't shut off backround programs.

This is very bad news for those of us looking forword to this sim but can't afford a new computer for a while yet.

It won't be on my hardrive but "First Eagles' ,will.

Connection to server is done in-game. Online store demo they had worked in browser.

you'll have to have a buy a very fast computer to run it.

You'd have to anyway. Dual core CPU is a must, quad core is even better.

I couldn't agree more with Junior Member,They take a beautiful sim and then screw it up by making you fly online?

That means you can't shut off backround programs,which also means ,you'll have to have a buy a very fast computer to run it.

I have games that have "Steam" and got rid of them because I couldn't shut off backround programs.

This is very bad news for those of us looking forword to this sim but can't afford a new computer for a while yet.

It won't be on my hardrive but "First Eagles' ,will.

There are so many problems with Steam I don't know where to start. I've never had them reply to an email. They do NOT spell out in their EULA how their service works or what they're doing. They reserve the right to do pretty much anything they want, up to and including just not letting you play the games you've paid for.

I certainly hope the ROF people have a better plan and implementation for how they are doing things. I'll try to keep an open mind, but if I don't get 100% disclosure on how this works, I'm not ok with it. Have you been reading about Relics DRM implementation for their new RTS, 'Dawn of War: II'? It's a frigging nightmare - two online authentications, Steam AND GFWL to play in single-player mode. Lots of people having problems. I think computer gaming has a death wish. Makes me appreciate Third Wire all the more.

GFWL is just a nightmare. MS tried to make a competitor to Steam but is nowhere near there yet. The usage of BOTH by some games is just baffling. It should only be one or the other.

I don't like the idea of having to buy more planes. I don't mind the expansion pack model, where you pay some amount and you get a batch of planes and maybe new terrain to go with it, but I don't want to be nickel-and-dimed to death with tons of separate planes.

How many will the original release let you fly?

GFWL is just a nightmare. MS tried to make a competitor to Steam but is nowhere near there yet. The usage of BOTH by some games is just baffling. It should only be one or the other.

I don't like the idea of having to buy more planes. I don't mind the expansion pack model, where you pay some amount and you get a batch of planes and maybe new terrain to go with it, but I don't want to be nickel-and-dimed to death with tons of separate planes.

How many will the original release let you fly?

Last I heard its two. An extra one for the russian market.

Its a different concept true, and some may hesitate given many ww1 sims spoil gamers with the number of planes.

And of course if your selective about purchasing there is an advantage.

As people buy planes, the Devs can build new planes that are then AI for everyone to fly against, eg bombers/two seaters are in the pipeline, and several other planes will be in game as AI even on initial release I believe.

The revenue stream helps develop the game, at no cost to you, but for your benefit with patches.

Thats how I believe it works, at least in the early stages, but I may be wrong. And if thats the case, you will get a lot more then what you originally paid without the additional cost.

Actually in FE, if TK added one or two planes at a time at reasonable cost, I'd buy them whether they were AI for everybody else or not.

Edited by peter01

They have a line-up of palnes planned for payware releases for a year. Then they'll see whether this concept is viable or not.

bombers/two seaters are in the pipeline

But they won't be flyable until devs code and test miti-player crew.

The constant online authentication is pretty much a deal-breaker for me. But add to that the 'pay and pay and pay' and I doubt I'll get onboard with this.

We'll see. If a regular sim is $29 - $49, how much can they charge for just the 'skeleton' of a sim? Twenty bucks? Twenty-five? Then five per plane? You're going to get over fifty bucks pretty fast...

Hey guys just wanted to comment about the online authentication concerns with RoF. I don't know if it will be the same as the type used by Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942 but the part about having to connecting briefly to the Internet for SP does not seem to present a problem. I figured a little test would be in order to see if I can play SFK42 without an internet connection. I disconnected (physically) from the internet and tried to play SFK42 and I played a couple missions with no problems AFAIK. I'm not saying this will be the case with RoF, but just trying to keep things in perspective till the Devs say otherwise. The whole internet connected/not connected maybe a non-issue for SP in RoF :dntknw:

So can anyone tell me exactly what they have planned for SP ? You're right Godzilla, the whole internet connect thing for SP may well be a non-issue if the SP content is crap.