Sign in to follow this  
scouserlad13

I have started the application process to become an RAAF pilot

Well, i have my medical and aptitude test on 27th of March, and i was wondering what to expect when it comes to taking the aptitude test, because i am a little bit nervous, because of the fact that my life long dream could be shattered there and then. So i was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on how to how can i put it, be ready for the test. Cheers for your help.

Scouserlad13

I have no idea whats on the test. However good luck!

just stay confident, upbeat, positive outlook and all will come out OK.

and get plenty of sleep the night before - don't worry about it.

i was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on how to how can i put it, be ready for the test. Cheers for your help.

One of ours is an RAAF pilot. Hopefully I can catch him this weekend and ask the questions for you.

Good luck, mate! Stay off the beer for a few days before the tests - whatever they need you to do, that's always good advice.

Try to remain calm, some of the tests are inate skills that you either have or don't and as a reult can't prepare for, ie spacial awareness, hand eye coordination and multi tasking. What you can brush up on is mental arithmatic and asuming they follow the same format as the RAF/FAA current affairs. Also like most have already said a good nights sleep can't hurt either. Good luck mate.

Craig

good luck mate!! - an aptitude test i did for the raf was secondary / GCSE level Maths/english/science with memory tests thrown in.

The difficult thing about it was they only give you a few minutes to complete loads of em!!

Good luck! Like said before, get your rest and stay focused! I went through the RNLAF application process and the vital part is being well rested so that you're able to give everything you have when it's required. The only other part of advice I can give you is to have some general knowledge of the RAAF, it never hurts to know where it is operating, what you expect life in the RAAF to be like etc.

Just an update, my aptitude test has been moved to the 7th of April so it means an even longer wait now :( I am looking forward to it though :P Its the make or break moment of my life so far.

good luck!

hope you can fly the SH :D

Edited by Silverbolt

Which aptitude test is it? Is this your initial one or have you been though that already? I went through ADF entry testing midway through last year.

Its just my initial one at a thing called a Y.O.U (your opportunities unlimited) session

Its just my initial one at a thing called a Y.O.U (your opportunities unlimited) session

Ah, the J.O.E.S. one. :biggrin: It's a piece of piss! Don't fret too much. The math is pretty simple but later on it becomes a bit harder but it's hardly taxing at all. The problem solving questions will prolly be what will irk you the most as you'll be looking at diagram sets for things like patterns and variations and they can be a little unusual if you haven't seen them much, but once you do the first 1/2, you'll get the hang of it. I'll see if I've still got some info on it. If you're a member of a public library, check out books on aptitude testing or psychometric/IQ tests. They'll use similar problem solving puzzles that may also help. In libraries, they'll be in the Adult Non Fiction(ANF) 155-158.1 area, can't remember exactly where. Biggest thing is, don't stress! The program they use allows you to skip to the next question at any time if you get stuck on something particularly hard (which I completely forgot about until about halfway through! :doh: ). Plus read the questions carefully! Questions like "What is the magazine capacity of the F88 Steyer?" is one the do like to use. It's not uncommon for people to answer 30 to that question(The answer is one. :tongue: ).

Also make sure you get some decent sleep! My gf and I had a massive fight and we broke up the night before mine! I think I had 3 hours sleep and a couple of Redbulls before I went in and came out with all of my preferences still on the table. Also, the YOU session doesn't necessarily take the 6 hours they tell you. It depends mostly on how many people are there, but mine was finished in just over 3 hours, but it may be different for you. Plus they do have some refreshments on hand (tea, coffee, softdrinks etc) but you may want to take some grub with you too.

Sweet cheers for the advice, i just got some practice questions today, and i got them all right so i think im going to do alright. Ive been looking around in my school library for books and ive found a few, its just a matter of getting time to look at them, ive been swammped with assingments and h/w recently. But again cheers for the advice :)