Sign in to follow this  
ndicki

Damage models, vehicles

I've just done a couple of Cents with a single pass each, using a Gina with the .50s alone. Given that the Centurion was regareded in its day as one of the strongest, most effectively armoured tanks around - ask any Israeli or SATC Trooper - then it does strike me that something needs looking at. And the other AFVs don't seem to be any better. 50 cal MGs shouldn't even begin to annoy a tank.

So... Anybody got any decent ideas of how it's done? I have no idea at all of how damage is calculated in SF - bear with me, I've only just arrived!

First off, what are your settings (global game settings, or more precisely, your weapons settings).

If you are playing in easy mode, it's perfectly "normal".

In normal mode it seems a little unusual from memory...

In hard mode, then yes, it is a problem, in fact it shouldn't happen at all unless the .50s of the G.91 are over-modeled which shouldn't be the case as they use stock guns.

First off, what are your settings (global game settings, or more precisely, your weapons settings).

If you are playing in easy mode, it's perfectly "normal".

In normal mode it seems a little unusual from memory...

In hard mode, then yes, it is a problem, in fact it shouldn't happen at all unless the .50s of the G.91 are over-modeled which shouldn't be the case as they use stock guns.

That might just be it... I hadn't thought that the "softness" of the target would be affected.

AFAIR it's more the efficiency of weapons than the "softness" of targets.

Just try it with weapons set on hard and it'll settle it. ^^

It has nothing to do with weapons effectivness....all the AFVs are WAAAAYYYY too thin-skinned.

Take a look at the armor values of oh, lets say the Abrams in the DS mod. They're a bit more realistic. Even the Bradley is 'upgraded' slightly.

Now, considering NONE of our tank guns are firing SABOT rounds; I'm assuming they're just 'standard' HE, I do think that it should be more than one round to killl anything (other than 1940s-early 1970s tanks). I'm also pretty sure the Game Engine ™ isn't taking into account things like sloping armor (ala T-34s and later)

It's a pretty easy fix, if you know what to look for (and do the conversions from inches to MMs)

Wrench

kevin stein

I don't know how things work on the ground but in SF2 a Beagle can take 400 minigun rounds and still fly :blink: Stll, a T-62 doesn't stand Vulcan hits.

the beagle is a tough plane very hard to shoot down, same thing with AIM-9, it hits the plane but nothing happens.. is it possible?!

Differences in the type of projectile, me thinks. 7.62 is just a 'slug', 20mm is an explosive round

As the the winders, maybe the difference between and annular blast warhead and an expanding rod type??

(you all can look that up at you leisure)

Wrench

kevin stein

Well, perhaps TK balanced things in such way that Sparrows are more useful for bomber intercept and winders for dogfight.

Binders are also very hard to kill with IR missiles. Badgers - easier 'cause they detonate vey close to tail surfaces.

Mind, the fact that 'winder always goes for engine #1 makes things easier. They tend to hit one spot.