Sign in to follow this  
Gepard

A question to the modelling gurus

gallery_3395_49_17914.jpg

One question to the modelling gurus. What could be the reason that one gear of this bird is half sunken in the runway? Have tried to find it out for a couple of hours and found no solution. Any ideas?

Check in the data.ini first. Make sure the entries for the left and right are exactly symmetrical, including things like rolling radius, shock travel values, etc.

Also, while in the air, do the gear look symmetrical? Retract symmetrically?

FC

In the air all is symmetrical. The entries are also the same in the Data.ini

In the air all is symmetrical. The entries are also the same in the Data.ini

Reverse animaton on gear ?

ShockNodeName=...

ShockTravelAxis=...

ReverseShockOrientation=FALSE

No. unfortunatly not.

Could it have something to do with the LOD file?

Can you put up a couple of pictures of the situation? From different views, with the detail on where the gear joins into the wing?

FC

med_gallery_3395_49_14767.jpg

I hope this pictures will help.

I must go now to work. In 8hours i will be back.

Edited by Gepard

Hi Michael,

i think there is something wrong in the pivot/animation of left leg ... seems that the shock travel direction is inverted... have a look on it.

I think erikgen is right, you can see it on the uper right pic, ..

Mal auf deutsch das haut mit english nicht hin. Es sieht so aus als ob der stoßdämpfer dsa Rad in den Boden drückt, hört sich zwar richtig an aber im vergleich zu dem rechten fahrwerk ist es wohl genau anders herum.

Erik, Blackbird, thanx a lot. Now it runs as it should.

If i now only could make the nosegear steering then i would be happy.

nosegear steering is easy....

use the lower gear swivel or the damper and set the pivot at centre...use its mesh name as the steering node...

one tip to alleviate the tyres sinking is to make the wheel radius bigger till it sits on ground correctly..

Thanks. Will give it a try.

I think i got it! Perhaps not perfect, but i'm satisfied for the moment.

I believe this new MiG-23PFM would need a new NATO designation. Any suggestions?

I LIKE the look of this beast!!

NATO designator,huh??? Ok, gotta start with an "F"..... and it has to "not realy make sense" (like the others -c'mon, Fishbed??)

I once saw a listing of NATO codename for Soviet equipments... even for stuff that turned out not to be real.

I'll see if I can find it again....

EDIT:

Ok, found it... I've included the actualy aircraft it was supposed to be used on

Faithless (ye-2)

Faceplate (ye-230)

Flipper (ye-152)

Firkin (su-47){obivious, not ready yet}

Firefox (PAK-FA) !!!!

I didn't include "Fred", as I normally would as a joke, but it seems to have been used on Lend-Lease P-63 Kingcobras!!

Wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench
added codename list

Wasn't Fred also the US codename for a Japanese fighter? If I remember right male names went to fighters and female names went to bombers.

"NATO designator,huh??? Ok, gotta start with an "F"..... and it has to "not realy make sense" (like the others -c'mon, Fishbed??)"

How about Frodo?

"NATO designator,huh??? Ok, gotta start with an "F"..... and it has to "not realy make sense" (like the others -c'mon, Fishbed??)"

How about Frodo?

Not bad - and it has the necessary two syllables unlike Fred.

Fishbait

Fishtail

Fishface :rofl:

Frodo? Sounds not bad, but was "Lord of the Rings" already known in the 60th? I will check it.

And the other idea with fish- at the beginning, is also not bad.

I'll see. The only thing i have still to do is to make a template for a better skinning. And then ... will see how the flight tests perform.

I remember reading the LOTR books in the early/mid 70s....just when there was a resurgence of interest in Tolkien.... but I don't really think the NATO codename folks would be that into fantasy books. (they'd been around since, what? the late 40s/early 50s?)

I like the "fish-" idea, as it keeps with it's MiG-21 heritage. I'd go for Fishtail...maybe it has some deficiences in yaw control?? :wink: Or due to a small radar antena, the pilot has to keep pivioting side-to-side to get a good sweep???

Just ideas, thrown out there

Wrench

kevin stein

Umm... You have a flat tire back there... :biggrin:

Sorry, can hold it :grin:

The problem with the flat tire is solved. It was one of the last things i was able to do before my 30 days trail version of 3ds max were over.

So i will release this bird after flight testing as "unfinished". If someone want to take over then, no problem with it.

And to the NATO Code "Fishtail", why not, sound a little bit like Mermaid. Perhaps with a little nice pin up girl as decale. :smile:

The problem with the flat tire is solved. It was one of the last things i was able to do before my 30 days trail version of 3ds max were over.

So i will release this bird after flight testing as "unfinished". If someone want to take over then, no problem with it.

And to the NATO Code "Fishtail", why not, sound a little bit like Mermaid. Perhaps with a little nice pin up girl as decale. :smile:

Do you remember this one?

Ye-8_001.JPG

:whistling:

Edited by AleDucat

Yeah, of course. Thatswhy is my bird not an E-8, but the fictive E-9 MiG-23F/PF/PFM. A family of birds that could have been the successor of the E-8 after the canceling of E-8 program. A step back with MiG-21 engines R-11, R-13 and R-25 but proven E-8 technology.

I still would love to fly the original, real E-8. Its one of my favorites!