Sign in to follow this  
ONETINSOLDIER

SEXEH !

too bad it was just proof of concept,,oh yeah, at the end of the clip, is that just a drogue chute to slow it down or what? I cant see that as working. maybe its for a "slightly" controlled impact into terrain.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=402_1235837002

yeah, i know i didnt embed it, just clik the link already,,

That's a spin chute. It's used to force the nose down if the aircraft gets into a spin it can't get out of.

You see a lot of aircraft while going through test phase have that chute fitted on.

As far as the AoA goes, note that more modern aircraft, including the later versions of the Su-27, F-22, F-35, etc, can all do similiar things with AoA, and not have FSW.

Except for the S-47 Berkut, which was only a tech demonstrator, you'll note no modern or future combat fighters have FSW...not even the PAK-FA that folks have been going on about.

FC

I think it's because the benefits don't justify the costs or other adverse results.

Someone COULD make an FSW fighter, it just hasn't been proven to be the best idea yet.

For that matter, VG wings have many positives, but after a brief flirtation with them for just over a generation, no new VG plane has entered service since...the Tu-160 maybe? I forget which is the most recent, it probably isn't the B-1B.

Then it seemed like the canard + delta configuration was the new rage, from the Gripen and Rafale through Tyhpoon and J-10, but the newest planes like the F-22 and F-35 have ignored that.

For stealth you want as many edges to align as you can to minimize the number of directions radar returns are reflected. You'll notice the leading edges of wings and stabs are the same angle, the trailing edges are the same angle, and panels and doors and even the cockpit may have their edges aligned that way.

I think the ideal is to have only 4 "spikes" at like 2, 4, 8, and 10 o'clock (or roughly at those bearings).