Sign in to follow this  
Dagger

Abacus...these Guys Are Great!

I called Abacus and told them my problems with FD3 not wanting to load the carrier,talked with them for a few mins and they told me the fix was the update CD,even though the box saysFS2002/2004 I had an older version and they are sneding me the updated CD for no charge.In this day of"gimme all your money"gaming companies I found this very refreshing and this company has a new fan and loyal customer.

Hey Dagger

I had the same impression of Abacus when I called them for support on FD3. I had some questions for them, and they were most helpful.

The software developers at Abacus are MOST interested in any ideas for improving FD3. Anyone who has FD3 should email Abacus with their suggestions. The support folks at Abacus made it quite clear to me that they will definitely listen to us.

Navy Chief

well don't hold you breath, I've been emailing with one of them and twice he told me he was going to send it out. I bought FD2 and 3 online from them yet they want me to buy the upgrade.

It's been a month and I was told 3 wks ago from the last email that he would send it out :angry:

I find their models to be weak, almost cartoonish, without detail, and their panels are weak. My opinion on them is don't pay for stuff you can get for free with better quality to boot.

Case in point: Blackhawk. Abacus' Blackhawk sported a terrible cockpit (a Blackhawk's glareshield is canted at the ends. Not modelled), an even worse flight model, and for some strange reason decided to slap that silly Army of One logo on the side of it.

Over at Hovercontrol.com on the other hand they've got a BH with the best .air file I've found yet, and like 20 skins. And it won't cost you a penny.

Abacus' Flight Deck III....the Tomcat can't seem to stay in the airwith the wings swept back unless you're in burner (hmmmm) according to PCPilot. The CH-46 flight model is horrendous and has a panel with only a few guages on it. Save your movey, folks, and hit up the web. You'll find dozens of sites like simviation.com and hovercontrol.com

No argument in the quality, however not everyone is comfortable (or has the time for searching for all the components to make their own FD3) installing mods for FS, long time sim types no problem, but for guys and gals just getting into it, for under $30.00 you get the install routine, the carrier, the premade adventures, and the planes. Time is money, my hourly rate is just under what I paid for the title (my time home is more valuable than that in my opinion), the time this package saves researching, downloading, reading readme's, running install routines, etc is worth $29.00; maybe even more to someone else, especially someone without/or a poor internet connection. Free is better cost wise, but time is just as valuable. One could likely download all the items to do the Free equivent of FD 3, but how long would it take searching, installing, and configuring (then making the adventures). I guarantee the average guy with an average connection, and an average knowledge of flightsims, way longer than an hour.

Hehe of course I am not counting the shipping time from Amazon!

Cheers

Beer

agreed Beer...I did download and install the carriers only to find the graphics were cheesey at best and no arrestor system that worked as well as no cat launches.the aircraft don't look that bad and if i can find a F-18 that is better looking then i'll install it..same for F-14.

Oh yeah..the deck crew in the downloaded carriers were"flat"from the side view.as was ALL the rescue and deck cranes.

Falcon..if you get FD3 just check the box it will say FS 2002/2004 on it.if it only says 2002 then old copy...if you have an old copy they will replace it.took mine a week to get here...I'm loving it!!