Sign in to follow this  
ST0RM

Moving FSX

I know this is going to sound scetchy, but this is my only option right now.

Ok here it goes. I've got the FSX w/acceleration expansion set. But my good gaming comp's DVD drive is Tango Uniform, so I only have the standard CD-Rom working.

Can I install FSX onto my laptop, then copy it over to an external HD, for transfer to my gaming comp? I know you guys are saying, why bother, but I dont have the cash right now to get a new DVD drive.

What all do I need to copy over? Both computers are XP, so the file placement is the same.

Thanks in advance!

The code -key (if any) may be an issue. copy protection (if any) may be another.

I've got a legal boxing with key.

I'm curious as I've heard of guys keeping a vanilla install as backup so this, theoretically, should work.

I was under the impression that once you used the key-code one one pc you could not re-use it on another. something about the different IP involved.

I was under the impression that once you used the key-code one one pc you could not re-use it on another. something about the different IP involved.

I dont think it makes a difference about the IP address as they are easily spoofed and changed etc. The thing that keeps a key code from being used has something to do with the system registry. However screwing around with this can cause major problems

Edited by mikepie11986

The code key isn't an issue, you get 5 installs before you even have to ring the nice computer at Redmond to free up some more. What will probably be the problem is that your desktop's registry won't know anything about FSX being on the computer which'll cause more problems than you can imagine.

However, what you can do is set the laptop's DVD drive as a network drive on your desktop and then install from there. If you don't have one already you'll need a network cable, or wireless networking on both machines. The cable that connects your computer to your broadband box may be the right type if you're not using USB.

3 dll files are involved, my fsx is on a secondary drive, rather than my main drive and ive re installed xp numerous times and fsx still works, about all that happens is it has asked me if i agree to terms and conditions. I click yes and im off into the wild blue yonder.