Sign in to follow this  
malibu43

Increasing thrust on Razbam Skyraiders

Hey folks,

I've found lately that the Razbam Skyraiders seem too slow and underpowered to keep me entertained while flying 'em. After 1 or 2 runs on a target, I am completely out of alititude and energy, and usually end up falling out of the sky while attempting to turn around for another run on a target. Now I'm sure we could discuss/debate all day long about whether or not this is accurate and whether or not this is an issue with my tactics, the FM, or just the way the game works. That's not what I want to do. Let's just accept the fact that for gameplay's sake, I want my Skyraider to be a little more powerful. Here's the engine data for the A-1E:

[Engine]

Referencename=Wright R-3350-26WA

SystemType=PROP_ENGINE

InputName=THROTTLE_CONTROL

EngineID=1

SLPowerDry=2013390.00

ThrustAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0

ThrustPosition=0.0,2.0,0.00

ThrottleRate=0.5

AltitudeTableNumData=8

AltitudeTableDeltaX=1524

AltitudeTableStartX=0.0

AltitudeTableData=1.000,0.821,0.684,0.554,0.453,0.358,0.277,0.000

SpinnerNodeName=Propeller01

;StaticPropNodeName=PropDisc01

SlowPropNodeName=PropDisc02

FastPropNodeName=PropDisc03

SlowPropRPM=480

FastPropRPM=4000

MaxPropRPM=5000

IdlePropRPM=3000

ExhaustEmitterName=

ExhaustPosition=0.0,-3.5,0.0

FireSuppression=TRUE

MinExtentPosition=-10.68, 6.59,-0.27

MaxExtentPosition= -9.51, 0.72, 1.24

ConstantSpeed=TRUE

NumBlades=4

PropDiameter=4.11

MomentOfInertia=3.86

PropEfficiencyAdvanceRatioTableNumData=8

PropEfficiencyAdvanceRatioTableDeltaX=0.2

PropEfficiencyAdvanceRatioTableStartX=0.0

PropEfficiencyAdvanceRatioTableData=0.023,0.842,0.870,0.870,0.870,0.870,0.402,0.000

I've tried bumping the SLPowerDry up to around 5000000, and found that that gives me the results I'm looking for. However, I'm not exactly sure what this number is and how may affect something else (fuel consumption...?). I could also try messing with the numbers for the prop, but, again, I have no idea what exactly they mean or what I should change (other than diameter and number of blades).

Am I on the right track with the SLPowerDry, or is there something else I should alter?

Thanks!

Edited by malibu43

Oct patch runway AI moving fix for tail gears:

[TailGear]

MaxSteeringAngle=55.0 <- Must be >0 , just change sign. [-35 to 35 for example].

Now I'm not sure how stuff works with prop planes in the game, mainly thrust/HP relation.

But anyway SLPower dry is your best bet, currently you have 2700HP for let's say 3000HP you would need to dial in: SLPowerDry=2237099.00

IRL that would be a VERY nice boost but if you really want to go wild on it enter:SLPowerDry=2982800 now that will give you 4000HP, if that does not help then retract the airbrakes lol

Anyway, just for the record, default entry is 2700HP and is apsolutley correct...however that does not mean plane performance will be correct either things change with patches so...it's really hard to tell

Now I'm not sure how stuff works with prop planes in the game, mainly thrust/HP relation.

But anyway SLPower dry is your best bet, currently you have 2700HP for let's say 3000HP you would need to dial in: SLPowerDry=2237099.00

IRL that would be a VERY nice boost but if you really want to go wild on it enter:SLPowerDry=2982800 now that will give you 4000HP, if that does not help then retract the airbrakes lol

Anyway, just for the record, default entry is 2700HP and is apsolutley correct...however that does not mean plane performance will be correct either things change with patches so...it's really hard to tell

Thanks for the help. I'm sure I've got it tweaked way beyond what was feasible, but like I said, for some reason the 2.5x power boost really improves the gameplay for me. After all, isn't that what it's all about? :biggrin:

Another thing I didn't try was adjusting the FM difficulty. I always leave it on Hard, and I know some planes are made to fly on Normal. I might look into that as well...

Edited by malibu43

What?

A flying dump truck with a full race tractor pull engine?

:blink: Its not the airplane's fault you can't keep the speed / energy up.

It is challenging tho. I can't recall a SPAD mission I've flown where I made a second pass and didn't get some buffeting if I wasn't totaly vigilant about my airspeed.

If the mission is strike and iron bombs are the first dish, I'll trade altitude for airspeed and attempt to be straight and level at 500' AGL, 250-300 Kts. and pickle off the Snakeyes. If I wish to make a second pass (Not advisable considering the SPAD's FLAK magnet tendencies) I'll "zoom" out about 3 NM at 80% power and then make my 180 back with rockets or 20 mike mike.

How about a JATO or 2 as P-2Vs, C-119s, or C-123s did.

:ph34r: CL

Edited by charlielima

What?

A flying dump truck with a full race tractor pull engine?

:blink: Its not the airplane's fault you can't keep the speed / energy up.

It is challenging tho. I can't recall a SPAD mission I've flown where I made a second pass and didn't get some buffeting if I wasn't totaly vigilant about my airspeed.

If the mission is strike and iron bombs are the first dish, I'll trade altitude for airspeed and attempt to be straight and level at 500' AGL, 250-300 Kts. and pickle off the Snakeyes. If I wish to make a second pass (Not advisable considering the SPAD's FLAK magnet tendencies) I'll "zoom" out about 3 NM at 80% power and then make my 180 back with rockets or 20 mike mike.

How about a JATO or 2 as P-2Vs, C-119s, or C-123s did.

Yeah, like I said, I know I may be turning the A-1 into something it wasn't, and that's not something I normally do. But I'm a huge Skyraider fan, and I'm just trying to find a way to have fun while flying it. With the stock powerplant, it's just not doing it for me.

Of course, my 2.5x power boost might be overkill. Once I have a chance to test it out, maybe I'll reduce it back to something more like 2x or 1.5x.

I just got done watching a 1 hour Great Planes episode on the Skyraider on the Military Channel, and I'm achin' to drop some toilet bowls!!!

Edited by malibu43

I feel your pain brother. When I strap on a SLUFF, Thud, Vark, Kfir, or Scooter it's like I have to learn how to fly again when I go back to the SPAD.

I think you need to strap one of these on the centerline pylon.

Probably better on the A-1E.

Another guy in the cockpit would be nice to do the fuel consumption calcs once that J-34 gets lit.

Edited by charlielima

I feel your pain brother. When I strap on a SLUFF, Thud, Vark, Kfir, or Scooter it's like I have to learn how to fly again when I go back to the SPAD.

I think you need to strap one of these on the centerline pylon.

Probably better on the A-1E.

Another guy in the cockpit would be nice to do the fuel consumption calcs once that J-34 gets lit.

Well, I snuck a little stick time in this morning before work, and have to say that the 2.5x power increase didn't really turn the SPAD into a speed machine. If anything, it just allowed for steeper climb outs and tighter turns when coming off/turning into targets. I flew a couple missions with the stock engine values, though, and found that as long as I was patient and very gentle with the stick, I could get endless runs on the target, getting as low as 200' during the attack and winding up at >3000' after completing my turn to set up for another run.

So that's that. I'll leave the engine values as they are.

:good: