Sign in to follow this  
Fubar512

Radar and ECM frequency charts

This should be of some assistance to those who are modeling radar and ecm systems:

Military Radar Bands (EU, NATO, US ECM frequency designations)

Band Frequency Notes

HF 3 - 30 MHz High Frequency

VHF 30 - 300 MHz Very High Frequency

UHF 300 - 1000 MHz Ultra High Frequency

L 1 - 2 GHz

S 2 - 4 GHz

C 4 - 8 GHz

X 8 - 12 GHz

Ku 12 - 18 GHz

K 18 - 27 GHz

Ka 27 - 40 GHz

mm 40 - 300 GHz millimeter wavelength

ECM Bands (EU, NATO, US ECM frequency designations)

Band Frequency

A 30 - 250 MHz

B 250 - 500 MHz

C 500 - 1,000 MHz

D 1 - 2 GHz

E 2 - 3 GHz

F 3 - 4 GHz

G 4 - 6 GHz

H 6 - 8 GHz

I 8 - 10 GHz

J 10 - 20 GHz

K 20 - 40 GHz

L 40 - 60 GHz

M 60 - 100 GHz

When setting an ECM system, first look up the system type (in this case, we'll use the AN/ALQ-167), and check to see which frequencies or bands that system jams. Looking up the AN/ALQ-167 on GlobalSecurity, yielded the following info: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys.../an-alq-167.htm

In theory, an ECM system can jam a radar by emitting only 1/2 the potential energy of that radar, as the radar's beam has to travel twice as far as the ECM's emissions in order to first paint a target, and then receive the reflected signal, whereas the jammer's signal simply has to reach from the host platform (aircraft), to the radar's receiver.

• Dislike 1

Spoon Rest (SA-2): A

Fan Song (SA-2): A/B, C/E and F depending on version

Long Track (SA-6): E

Flat Face (SA-3): C

Low Blow (SA-3): I/D

Land Roll (SA-8): H/J

Fire Dome (SA-11): H/I

• Like 1

OK Guys,

This being from the A-4F_DATA.ini....

ALQ100

(ALQ100)

SystemType=ECM_JAMMER

JammerType=DECEPTIVE_JAMMER

JammerStrength=35.0

MinFreq=2.0 <--------

MaxFreq=6.0 <-------- What's the Unit of Measurement the Game Uses?

CanJamCW=FALSE

Also, For the new Members, You might explain what these and the new Entries mean.

• Like 1

MinFreq=2.0 <--------

MaxFreq=6.0 <-------- What's the Unit of Measurement the Game Uses?

I'm assuming Ghz for now...

• Like 1

Giggity Giggity Hz.

Sorry.

To be slightly helpful the RN used to use it's own system (no idea why, probably to be difficult)

Band 1 - 0.6 - 4GHz

Band 2 - 4 - 8GHz

Band 3 - 8 - 12GHz

Band 4 - 12 - 20GHz

Suffice to say there's still some legacy equipment that uses bands 1-4 but most things use the NATO band and it's up to the user to make the conversion.

Edited by SkippyBing
  • Like 1

--

post-2042-1236195920_thumb.jpg

post-2042-1236195929_thumb.jpg

post-2042-1236195937_thumb.jpg

Edited by Crusader
  • Like 1

What is

The unit's ability to jam Continuous Wave Radar, as in the Hawk's CWR unit, that relies on changes in frequency to plot target course & position, via Doppler shift.

Or F-4Js or F-15 radar?

Nope. Those are Pulse-Doppler systems.

"In 1963 Westinghouse was awarded a US Navy contract for the AN/AWG-10 to provide fire control for guns and Sparrow and Sidewinder air-to-air missiles on the McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom. The first radars were delivered in 1966 and became standard equipment. The AWG-10 was claimed to be the first interceptor radar to feature transistorised circuitry. During 1966 the US Navy announced a look-down requirement for its F-4s and the AWG-10 became the first multimode radar with pulse Doppler look-down capabilities and a comprehensive built-in test system. During 1973 Westinghouse was contracted by the US Navy to improve the performance and reliability of the AN/AWG-10. The most significant change affecting reliability was the substitution of a solid-state transmitter using a klystron power amplifier. A digital computer was added for the more effective solution of launch equations, for example target manoeuvring information was included. A servoed optical sight display was also added and these modifications permitted the full range of air-to-ground ordnance to be exploited. Only three of the AWG-10's 29 LRUs remained unmodified; there were six new LRUs and seven units of the AWG-10 system were deleted. The success of the AWG-10A computer led to its procurement by the US Air Force for the APQ-120 radar in the F-4E to provide computer-aided target acquisition. The German Air Force, in a programme known as Peace Rhine, also procured the computer to upgrade its F-4F Phantoms.

Status The AWG-10 family has long been out of production, but is still in widespread service. In early 1984 the US Defense Department announced the possibility of flight demonstrating McDonnell Douglas F-4s with new engines and avionics suites, to create a new market for F-4s currently in the US inventory. A fundamental change in the avionics would be the replacement of the AN/AWG-10 with the Westinghouse AN/APG-66 used in the Lockheed F-16 fighter."

hello,

i give you the datas i found in french book about ECM and Electronic War.

i will post detaisl for french Pod too... but later.

SA-3 use Band I

SA-6 Strait Flush use Bande I, and illuminator radar use bande H (around 7Ghz)

SA-8 Land Roll radar use Band J (arround 15Ghz).. for information no equipement could jam it until 1975

Shilka use Gundish Radar Bande J (arround 15Ghz) as SA-8 and fire telemetric use bande Ku

for Air to Air radar :

in 70's ..

most impulsion radar use Bande I (8 -> 10Ghz)

some use Bande J (10->20Ghz)

For French Pod :

Barracuda (single sphere) jam bande Ku (12/18Ghz)

Barax jam Bande X (8-12Ghz)

Barracuda bilobe (2 sphere) jam band X and Ku

Barax are upgraded todo same.

barax and barracuda2 are use at the same time.. they come from 2 different compagnie.

Barax are use now only because it use a better µCPU unite.

jam all A/A radar.

• Like 1

Some Russian Radars

PattyCake/RockCake/Spongecake/Stonecake- Height Finding Radars (PRV-10) D/E Band 3Mv.

Crosslot/Crosslegs- EW/GCI Radars (P-5,P-15) L Band 14Kw.

Firecan/Whiff- AAA Fire Control Radars (S-30) D/F Band 2.8Ghz.

Thanks to Fubar512 for helping find this Information.

Here's another Link for some Russian Ground Radar Information: http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-Rus-Low-Ban...l#mozTocId18978

• Like 1

Hi everybody...

I just have a quistion cuz am confused about all this...

suppose there is a type M jammer (M 60 - 100 GHz) does that mean this pod can jam all the previous types of radars? meaning that it is the most powerfull? or can jam everything? or just the freq. bet. 60-100 and earlier radars can lock and guide its missiles normally?

what if the radar is (Ka) and the jammer is (k) but the missile guided by the radar is and old sam such as (sa-2) will it hit its target?

sorry for the log quistions am so curious about all that... :)

• Like 1

Hi everybody...

I just have a quistion cuz am confused about all this...

suppose there is a type M jammer (M 60 - 100 GHz) does that mean this pod can jam all the previous types of radars? meaning that it is the most powerfull? or can jam everything? or just the freq. bet. 60-100 and earlier radars can lock and guide its missiles normally?

what if the radar is (Ka) and the jammer is (k) but the missile guided by the radar is and old sam such as (sa-2) will it hit its target?

sorry for the log quistions am so curious about all that... :)

Jammer frequencies shouldn't be confused with "strength". Broadband jammers have been around for a while, but earlier ones lacked the strength to effectively jam at standoff distances. This can be likened to water flowing out of a pipe. Just imagine the differences in pressure , if water were flowing out of a large opening, as opposed to it being forced out of a small nozzle, in that same pipe. While the volume (bandwidth) would be lower when dealing with a small nozzle, the pressure (strength) would likely be much higher.

Most SAM radars operate at frequencies well below the example you posted...so you'd have no effect whatsoever on them

There are normally three frequencies working here, the search frequency, the track frequency, and the guidence (missile uplink) frequency. Also, bear in mind that some SAMs are HOJ (Home on Jam), and therefore, you might be providing free and relatively accurate guidance for the SAM, with your jamming.

Aha so I have to have 2 things right now the coreect range of frequencies and an adequate strengh of jamming to be able to cut the uplink bet. the misslie and the guidance radar...

for HOJ if u turn on a noise jammer u will cut off the uplink the missle will keep going on because of the HOJ but if I turn of the jammer this will leave the sam withought any mean of guidance right?

in case of stealth fighter I have read somwhere that u see them on radar but in closer ranges but cant lock them on... right? how did the serbs shot down the F-117 in 1999 war?

• Like 1

Aha so I have to have 2 things right now the coreect range of frequencies and an adequate strengh of jamming to be able to cut the uplink bet. the misslie and the guidance radar...

for HOJ if u turn on a noise jammer u will cut off the uplink the missle will keep going on because of the HOJ but if I turn of the jammer this will leave the sam withought any mean of guidance right?

in case of stealth fighter I have read somwhere that u see them on radar but in closer ranges but cant lock them on... right? how did the serbs shot down the F-117 in 1999 war?

You can always increase the power of a radar ground unit, but the same is not always true of a jammer. If you cut the uplink via jamming, and then stop, there's a 50-50 chance that the SAM radar will reacquire you and begin steering the missile again. Also, many (if not most) SAMs are capable of command detonation from their ground stations, so they only need to get within a few hundred feet to damage your aircraft.

Wow, sounds like the odds are stacked against the aircraft. How do you effectively defeat a HoJ SAM?

Wow, sounds like the odds are stacked against the aircraft. How do you effectively defeat a HoJ SAM?

I think that kind of thing is classified. We could tell you, but then we'd have to kill you. :biggrin:

• Like 1

fubar thx alot for all the answers .... :)

zmatt: I turned the jammer on and off for like million times and fly as low as I can also dropping some chaff for every 3 seconds, all sams kept missing but thats just in the game "I wounder if this works in real life!!!"

• Like 1

Radar Jamming: "Defensive Electronic Countermeasures" May 1962 US Navy Training Film

Electronic Counter-Countermeasures 1963 US Navy Training Film; Defeating Radar Jamming with ECCM

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..