Sign in to follow this  
Rooster89

First Technical Question...

...here on the new OFF forum.

I've got a new rig as Catch and CJ well know, and I'm encountering some problems. I installed windows xp and that went off without a hitch. Then I installed my motherboard drivers and rebooted. The windows loading screen comes up and then stops. Then a blue screen with words on it flashes on, but too fast to read. It tried to reboot several times. Then I rebooted in safe mode, but the USB mouse wont work.

I got the mouse to work in safe mode by unplugging it while safe mode was booting and then plugging it back in. I tried re-installing the motherboard drivers but that didnt work either. Same thing. Im thinking that I'll need to reinstall windows and have a fresh start. Any Ideas?

Motherboard is an EVGA nForce 750i SLI

Thanks fellas.

-Rooster

Edited by Rooster89

Is that a service packed version of XP? I would recommend getting XP completely up to date before you install any of the mother board drivers.

Something to do with resetting the bios perhaps Rooster ? Sorry I can't be more specific as I'm not technical about these things but I do recall my new rig (put together to my specs .... by someone else :yes: ) initially would not recognise the keyboard and would try to reboot .... unsuccessfully. It turned out to be an incorrect bios setting if memory serves. Good luck.

P3 will rock when you get this thing working. Despite your frustrations now it will all be worth it in the end :smile:

Edited by catch

Thanks for the advice so far guys. I'll try both suggestions and report back. Yeah, Catch if this thing didnt cost so much and I didnt know that the frustration would be worth it.....I'd have thrown it out the window yesterday! Putting it together has been the easy part so far. lol.

-Rooster

Update on the problem. I reinstalled windows XP(SP1). Now that blue flashing screen comes up long enough for me to read. The line that looks to be the most important reads : IRQL: Driver not less or equal.

Feris Wlf: I cant upgrade to latest SP because I cant even boot up windows without the XP CD in the drive.

Catch: I did try resetting BIOS before I reinstalled windows but it didnt help any.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

-Rooster

Update on the problem. I reinstalled windows XP(SP1). Now that blue flashing screen comes up long enough for me to read. The line that looks to be the most important reads : IRQL: Driver not less or equal.

Feris Wlf: I cant upgrade to latest SP because I cant even boot up windows without the XP CD in the drive.

Catch: I did try resetting BIOS before I reinstalled windows but it didnt help any.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

-Rooster

I asked that question because I had a similar problem. I tried to install an old copy of XP onto some new hardware and no joy. I had to go out and buy a copy of xp with SP1 already loaded up. That installed no problem. Im not sure how to get around having to buy the upgraded disk though. Maybe somone else will know a work-arround.

GL

Thanks GL. This CD is SP1 so I dont know whats going on here. ahh good ole computer induced frustration. Thanks for the help though.

-Rooster

Sorry I missed that.

What other hardware you got going on there? Do you have two AGP ports? Give us some more info on what you have in that rig and maybe we can figure out what is causing that?

NM I assume SLI means you have 2 ports. You have 2 cards? If so try switching them. If not switch the one card you do have and see what happens.

Edited by FenrisWlf

I dont have 2 cards but its SLI ready

Its an Antec 900 Case

EVGA nForce 750i SLI MoBo

EVGA GeForce GTX 260 895MB

Corsair 650W PSU

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz

Mushkin 4Gb (2X2GB) DDR2 SDRAM

Western Digital 500Gb SATA HD

Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Sound Card

Lite-On 22X SATA DVD burner

-Rooster

Edited by Rooster89

I dont have 2 cards but its SLI ready

Its an Antec 900 Case

EVGA nForce 750i SLI MoBo

EVGA GeForce GTX 260 895MB

Corsair 650W PSU

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz

Mushkin 4Gb (2X2GB) DDR2 SDRAM

Western Digital 500Gb SATA HD

Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Sound Card

Lite-On 22X SATA DVD burner

-Rooster

Just for the heck of it switch the port that you have your card in.

Also I see you have a SB XFi. If your board has onboard sound make sure you disable that in bios.

Disabling the integrated audio was a no go. Still wont boot up properly.

I dont have enough time to switch the card to the other PCI 16x slot tonight, maybe tomarrow. Im going to try a few other "fixes" before I turn in for the night.

-Rooster

bump: just looking for any more suggestions

-Rooster

-Rooster

Hi Rooster,

It seems to me that if XP installed fine and you had no problems until you loaded up the mobo drivers that there is some issue going on there. These are the things I would try, update xp before installing any hardware drivers, then go to the web and get the lates drivers for anything else, I usally go for the video driver first then sound and so on. If the mobo drivers that you have down loaded still cause you a probelem I would take a look at the bios version and see about possibly flash updating that. Thats me though, some may be very uncomfortable flashing bios. I do it alot for all kinds of hardware and never had problems, just make sure you follow procedure and all should be well.

These are things I would try, maybe somone else can ad to that.

HTH

-Rooster

Sorry Rooster I have no idea what is causing this. I hope more technically minded people here will be able to help you out. Have you got any pc savvy mates that can come over and have a look ?

Try pulling out one of the ram modules and starting it, then if it still does it try the other one (by itself). In CMOS (BIOS) try setting it up with BIOS defaults also..

No worries Catch. Im gonna figure this out if it kills me. I have my girlfriends dad helping me over the phone right now, so I'll see what he can come up with. Thanks Gary I'll give that a go too. Right now I'm going to try getting the latest drivers for the mobo and see if that cures the problem. Maybe my drivers CD was corrupted or something. (It's a pain though because my new pc isnt hooked up to the internet so I have to DL the drivers on this PC and then burn them to a cd. lol)

-Rooster

Just a suggestion I have evga board 680 i have you tried the evga forum. There is a forum for your board there you may find the answer. I have used the forum there alot.

I built my 680i/X6800 back in 12/06. There were many problems then since it was cutting edge at the time.

If you still can't resolve problems, start from square one.

Use only 2 sticks of ram. XP won't see more than 3.63 and XP has had some problems with that. Look at the manual and place them exactly as shown for 2gig.

Pull all you nics and XFI and only have your vid installed.

Reformatt HD and use mobo setup cd with those drivers.

Install XP1. Is it a slipstreamed copy or original?

That should get you up and able to get ethernet authorized.

Go to EVGA.COM and load current mobo drivers if any.

Then intall vid drivers, install XFI, then nics.

You'll probably have to have Billy re-authenticate your OS if its original. Not sure about slipstream.

Backup your registry so you can reload if anything goes haywire.

Then reinsall ram to 4 gig.

Edited by almccoyjr

Thanks guys. I have it working now but the mobo is running the stock mickysoft drivers. Everything seems to work fine like this. Once I get the internet hooked up to it I will try again. Seems the mobo drivers that came on the cd aren't jiving with the setup.

PS. I had to try to install CFS3 three times, it had a problem creating folders in C:Program Files. But I finally got it to go after running CHKDSK twice. Could this be realated to the previous problem, and not having mobo drivers installed?

-Rooster

Thanks guys. I have it working now but the mobo is running the stock mickysoft drivers. Everything seems to work fine like this. Once I get the internet hooked up to it I will try again. Seems the mobo drivers that came on the cd aren't jiving with the setup.

PS. I had to try to install CFS3 three times, it had a problem creating folders in C:Program Files. But I finally got it to go after running CHKDSK twice. Could this be realated to the previous problem, and not having mobo drivers installed?

-Rooster

Check the documentation on mobo setup cd and make sure you've got 15.23_ 32.exe and not 64. You can install the 64 driver set and you'll have nothing but conflicts running 32 OS.

Well, its Windows XP Pro SP1....so thats 64bit right?

Another note, when installing things the error reads "cyclic redundancy error".

-Rooster

Well, its Windows XP Pro SP1....so thats 64bit right?

Another note, when installing things the error reads "cyclic redundancy error".

-Rooster

XP PRO comes in two flavors; 32/64.

Open up C: and see if how many program files you have: (1) program file=32 (2) files, Program Files and Program File X86, if I remember,= 64. I messed around with XPP64 only long enough to know I didn't want anything to do with it.

"Things" ?

"Cyclic Redundency Error" Possible causes:

Bad CD/DVD Read or corrupted disk track(s);

Bad unistall/reinstall of a specific program, probably CFS3;

Registry Data problem.

If "Windows Installer" pops up a startup, you will have registry data problem(s).

And a couple more + that are not so common. You don't have those because you're partially functioning.

You REALLY need to get your mobo setup for basic operation 32 or 64, a clean install of the OS, do whatever it is you want to do to the bios, install driver for vid, install XFI and load it's original drivers, than nics, then update all the drivers, OS updates, then the other 2gig of ram before you start installing any programs. One step at a time, in a logial progressive order. When something goes south during the build, you'll know exactly when, where. It'll make finding out how and why much easier.

Right now, you have to many variables to contend with.

I hope this helps; it's about as far as I can type at.

Thanks almccoyjr. Yes, I think the best thing to do is a fresh start, re-installing the OS. I'll do everything you said and take it slow. Since its Friday night I have all night. And even then if I cant get it working, my girlfriends dad said I could bring it over tomarrow. He knows way more about all this than I do! He can probably get me up and running. This is my first build so....its definately been a learning experience.

Thanks again,

-Rooster

Thanks almccoyjr. Yes, I think the best thing to do is a fresh start, re-installing the OS. I'll do everything you said and take it slow. Since its Friday night I have all night. And even then if I cant get it working, my girlfriends dad said I could bring it over tomarrow. He knows way more about all this than I do! He can probably get me up and running. This is my first build so....its definately been a learning experience.

Thanks again,

-Rooster

Rooster,

Sorry to have abandoned you in your hour of need. Wasn't intentional. See if you can send me a PM. If the GF's dad isn't able to sort that mess out for you, I may have a couple of suggestions as to how you can get it sorted. Don't accuse me of not warning you about that Nvidia chipset though.......hehehehe.

Cheers,

Parky

LOL. No worries Parky. I hope he can get this mess sorted. If he cant I'll definately PM you. Good to have you back.

-Rooster