Sign in to follow this  
Robbydee

Newbie controls question

I just purchased Over Flander Fields, after having been away from flight sims since Red Baron in 1988. Looks awesome. But I can't figure out or find what the joystick controls are. All I see is the list of keyboard controls.

So I keep crashing my Eindekker on takeoff. Am I missing this info somewhere? Or do I need to dig into CFS3 to find out what the list of joystick controls are?

I just purchased Over Flander Fields, after having been away from flight sims since Red Baron in 1988. Looks awesome. But I can't figure out or find what the joystick controls are. All I see is the list of keyboard controls.

So I keep crashing my Eindekker on takeoff. Am I missing this info somewhere? Or do I need to dig into CFS3 to find out what the list of joystick controls are?

Hi Robbydee

When you are in flight press escape. Then you can access the controls, and then edit them. If you do, save the setup and it's important to call it 'Mine' as per the one that's already there. Then it will save for next time.

thanks for the quick reply ... I have a lot of terminology to learn, too ... not sure what many of these controls even mean ...

Hi Robbydee

When you are in flight press escape. Then you can access the controls, and then edit them. If you do, save the setup and it's important to call it 'Mine' as per the one that's already there. Then it will save for next time.

Hi Robbydee,

Welcome to our sim. I'm still learning too. But in the process I have been having a heck of a good time. Keep at it and read the threads on this wonderful forum. Ask questions, you did and it was answered promptly by one of the OBD developement team. That's how things roll here. You are among friends. Read the sticky OFF TIPS and Cheats from Gimpyguy, great work and help there. There is a key command list in there somewhere. Happy flying to you.

Hello Robbydee,

welcome, quite some time since the good old Baron - the display or viewing system via Joystick is different than in the Baron - if i remember right you pressed button 1 on the stick and would "Fly" around your plane while moving the stick - not so in OFF.

First: You can adjust almost all keyboard controls and joystick action to your liking, so no problem. Those settings are stored in a file named "Mine.xca", but you should not edit it. Instead create a pilot in OFF, go into Campaign, or Free flight, until you are clear for take-off, seeing your plane from the outside, or sitting in the cockpit. Then press Pause ("Pause", or P in the original settings), and then "Escape", and then "Control" (or control setting?) in the upcoming menu. Now you can see all controls and what they do, as well you can change it all here.

If you did not yet change anything, and just want to fly: F4 cycles through the differnt views of your plane, the spot view is a free camera that can be moved with the Coolie hat of your joystick - takes some time but you will get used to it soon.

If there are questions fire away.

Greetings,

Catfish

Edited by Wels