Sign in to follow this  
Rickitycrate

Shot down my first known ace

So after checking in here at HQ earlier today I was given my flight orders, patrol the front and note enemy troop movements. No sooner did my flight of 3 Roland CII begin to rev our engines that the air raid siren kicked into screaming. Nieuport 17's, too many to count in the commotion. Took off, tried to get some air beneath my wings and climb as best I could. It was a free for all. I singled out one of the sprightly little nupes and got a few deflection shots into him. That had the desired effect of clipping his wings a tad so I might gain on him. I managed to get a few more rounds into him and crawled up his backside. "here's some more for ya buddy". I wondered who this might be... from talk back at the chateau I figured it to be a certain chap named William E. "Moley" Molesworth from RFC 60. I fired another 80 rounds or so in several bursts and he eventually went down into a small woods, setting the trees on fire. We did well to survive against what started out as 2 flights nieuport 17-lewis, 6 crates per flight. Ran out of ammo as did my observer. Having never gotten far from the airfield I was able to put her down unharmed. Filed my claim and came here to make my report and found I had been promoted already to Junior Member. For me the shame was I made quite the effort to take good screenies to post but when I checked the folder they were unusable. Bummer. Village idiot strikes again. Does Radio Shack carry moron chips?

Edited by Rickitycrate

1. Great report I congratulate you!

2. First report of shooting down an ACE in campaign mode that I have read about at SOH or here (it's a big deal for me anyway and another huge reason for Siggi to reconsider labels LOL!...yes Siggi I will never quit....).

3. Please post the confirmation or denial once you find out (I am crossing my fingers for you).

4. Get screenshot utility program, set it up and snap away....in any game or movie or anything on your PC screen.

download it here: http://www.download.com/Screenshot-Utility...4-10061032.html

Congratulations, Rickity! Now you've really tested your mettle! As those funny Brits say, Yeefrickinhaaaa (well, that's what they mean, anyway)!

And, btw, MK2, my pilot, Stan Goble, shot down an ace the day before he died (a few days ago that makes it). And, yes, I'd never have known that if I hadn't switched on labels for a bit.

Edited by griphos

Thanks guys. At the time it was going down I was so excited. It was one of those moments you long for and here I had intended all along to get action pics. Perfect situation.... Well, I need to report that I was greedy and and wanted another flight and another kill. So you don't know it, over the front while juking and jiving the anti aircraft fire I took one square in the engine and fell behind the lines to serve as prisoner for the duration. Then I found my 20 pics were puke. Oh such highs and lows we encounter in war. Thanks MK2 for the link. Maybe this chimp can figure it out. By the way I am unfamiliar with William Molesworth. I assumed he was an ace because of his name on the lable. Usually says airman or such.

Thanks guys. At the time it was going down I was so excited. It was one of those moments you long for and here I had intended all along to get action pics. Perfect situation.... Well, I need to report that I was greedy and and wanted another flight and another kill. So you don't know it, over the front while juking and jiving the anti aircraft fire I took one square in the engine and fell behind the lines to serve as prisoner for the duration. Then I found my 20 pics were puke. Oh such highs and lows we encounter in war. Thanks MK2 for the link. Maybe this chimp can figure it out. By the way I am unfamiliar with William Molesworth. I assumed he was an ace because of his name on the lable. Usually says airman or such.

Now that is the real beauty of this sim.....it let's you explore history...if you find out who he is , please post (He was real and he did live...)

Ah, the beauty of Google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_I_flying_aces

About halfway down: William Earle Molesworth, credited with 18 victories, so you went up against someone who was no slouch, Rickity. Sorry to hear about your pilot.

Here's another list for reference:

http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/ac...world-war-1.asp

Btw, the ace Stan got was Hans-Joachim Buddecke, 13 kills.

Edited by griphos

Yes quite ! A .... er .... good frickin show Rickety old thing ! Say, I'm getting used to this strange seppo lingo :big_boss:

You guys have cheered me up greatly, thanks for that and the pilot info. Catch, you're gonna wear that fricker out if you keep using it.

Congratulations, Rickity! Now you've really tested your mettle! As those funny Brits say, Yeefrickinhaaaa (well, that's what they mean, anyway)!

And, btw, MK2, my pilot, Stan Goble, shot down an ace the day before he died (a few days ago that makes it). And, yes, I'd never have known that if I hadn't switched on labels for a bit.

we should seriously consider a historical thread keeping track of aces met....congratulations!

Aces met and downed I say. speaking of aces, I am a huge fan of Capt. Eddie or "Rick" and when I see your avatar and read your posts seems I am communing with the man himself, well just alittle maybe, but it does kind of help the immersion thing for me. Thanks again

Oh yes I downloaded fraps for my pic needs. Something else to learn but the results will be so good.

Edited by Rickitycrate

Congrats Rickety!! please do get a confirmation as i would love to see him in his death spiral!!

MK2 I also am in agreement, a good Aces area would be really a great thing!!

Anyways Toasts all around to a gallant foe... (RB3D Anyone)

Cheers,

Blue

we should seriously consider a historical thread keeping track of aces met....congratulations!

MK2, we did have such a thread before: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=10765 and in there and copied below is a picture taken shortly after I'd set Rudolph Windisch of Jasta 32 afire. I think I was awarded the kill although my wingie may have picked it up instead and I credited with another I'd shot at earlier.

Edited by Dej

Seems sort of a shame to shoot such a pretty plane down, doesn't it? Still, Windisch was credited with 22 kills, so I'll fly a little more comfortably knowing he's not around (sort of). Congrats, Dej. That's the highest ranking ace I know of that's been bagged.

MK2, we did have such a thread before: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=10765 and in there and copied below is a picture taken shortly after I'd set Rudolph Windisch of Jasta 32 afire. I think I was awarded the kill although my wingie may have picked it up instead and I credited with another I'd shot at earlier.

Nice! we should definitely keep this thread going with more stories and pics.

Yes, let's do the thread and try to have pics with labels when possible like Dej has. Good show Dej. FYI, success with Fraps for me here is my first screenie, non-ace