Sign in to follow this  
AROTH

Ground targets

I have been primarily flying dogfight scenarios so far, and pretty well have an understanding of that area.

Question - what type of ground targets should I be seeing any visible damage from (and how severe) when selecting any kind of "Ground Attack" mission? For example, tonite I elected to attack airfields. I shot almost every target at very close ranges, had about a final 25% hit ratio. Parked aircraft and moving trucks showed no response from being hit and only one British troop appeared to fall down.

I have also done a railyard mission once before and recall that it also did not show any effect.

Are any of these targets supposed to react, and if so, under what game settings, or am I just not actually close enough, or just doing it all wrong? :unsure:

I haven't been at this long, so take that into account, but I've never seen any results from attacking ground targets with bullets. I've shot at planes and tents at airfields, and pretty much emptied my guns at everything in the railyards, and although I see bullets hit targets, not much seems to happen. I shot at ground troops once, and either I was completely blind, or those troops were invincible.

BUT, I attacked an airfield the other day with rockets and had very satisfying results. I shot all of them in one pass, and as I flew away, I saw two planes turned into burning hulks, one tent on fire, and smoke coming from a MG emplacement.

I highly recommend rockets for ground targets! :good:

Hi Aroth,

Generally when attacking ground targets.. im gonna side more towards the rockets to have any real desired effect.. Now i have mowed down a collumn of British troops with my guns and killed em all.. thats different.. but remember its 1916 or 17 and ground attack is still at its infancy, unless you can drop that perfect cooper bomb on a packed aircraft and watch it disintigrate into a fireball then well you not a bomber remember... personally i just strafe the airfield or railyard one good time, aiming for the engine as that would be the most valued target historically and save the rest of my valued rounds for tommy.. But i also think we need a bit more ground attack cinematics or effects..

I have personally shot two moving trucks and saw them explode, I have also destroyed a few tents. Air field attacks are a bugger with all the damn shooting they do at you, I always get chewed up when I attack airfields. I have never been successful at destroying a parked plane, but my guess is it can be done.

Oh btw after a mission where I shot a ground target I got a message saying congratulations on you ground targets, but they don't count as kills.

Edited by FenrisWlf

I have personally shot two moving trucks and saw them explode, I have also destroyed a few tents. Air field attacks are a bugger with all the damn shooting they do at you, I always get chewed up when I attack airfields. I have never been successful at destroying a parked plane, but my guess is it can be done.

Oh btw after a mission where I shot a ground target I got a message saying congratulations on you ground targets, but they don't count as kills.

On a QC flight after I had dispatched the bad guy I attacked the airfield (it's your so they won't shoot back) You can kill a parked plane but it take one h**l of a lot of ammo. The hanger tents will go down as well as the vehicles. Vehicles seem kinda hit and miss. I've killed em with just a couple of rounds and others I've really shot up and they still to blow.

Scott

When attacking Ground targets at the front, I go for the howitzers which are behind the enemy front lines. They get destroyed fairly easily with a good burst.

I got a parked a/c last airfield attack mission, had the satisfaction of seeing it blow up, that's about all you'll get, other than hammered if you don't make a quick exit.

Ok, just wanted to get some other input of this aspect of the sim. Makes good sense. I'll just have to practice on this a lot more - if I don't get too many pilots plastered all over the landscape in the process! :grandpa: