Sign in to follow this  
griphos

OFF3 install and MP question

Hello,

I bought OFF3 and also CFS3 from Amazon. I didn't install CFS3 first, as I wasn't really interested in it. So, when OFF3 came, I started it's install first, and it asked for my CFS3 cd, and I put it in and it copied some files and then finished its install. It went smoothly, and I've been playing it quite happily ever since.

However, I've been bitten by the multiplayer bug and joined Doves and Hawks so I can do that.

Last night, just to check things out, I clicked on MP in OFF and it took me to a screen where I could choose dates and missions and told me what pilot was active, etc. I made some selections and then click "Accept" (I think), and then I got messages that CFS3 crashed and it wanted to tell MS about it. :-}

OFF still seemed to be working fine, but I exited out.

So, my question is whether I installed correctly or if this problem might be because I don't have a copy of CFS3 on my system, just the files OFF needed for itself.

The only other problem I've seen is when I try to access manuals while in the game through that little drop down "Hangar". After closing the manual, CFS3 crashes. So, I just don't access the manuals in the game. Could this be related?

I assumed that the cd I bought of CFS3 was 3.1, since the install went smoothly.

Any suggestions?

Hello,

I bought OFF3 and also CFS3 from Amazon. I didn't install CFS3 first, as I wasn't really interested in it. So, when OFF3 came, I started it's install first, and it asked for my CFS3 cd, and I put it in and it copied some files and then finished its install. It went smoothly, and I've been playing it quite happily ever since.

However, I've been bitten by the multiplayer bug and joined Doves and Hawks so I can do that.

Last night, just to check things out, I clicked on MP in OFF and it took me to a screen where I could choose dates and missions and told me what pilot was active, etc. I made some selections and then click "Accept" (I think), and then I got messages that CFS3 crashed and it wanted to tell MS about it. :-}

OFF still seemed to be working fine, but I exited out.

So, my question is whether I installed correctly or if this problem might be because I don't have a copy of CFS3 on my system, just the files OFF needed for itself.

The only other problem I've seen is when I try to access manuals while in the game through that little drop down "Hangar". After closing the manual, CFS3 crashes. So, I just don't access the manuals in the game. Could this be related?

I assumed that the cd I bought of CFS3 was 3.1, since the install went smoothly.

Any suggestions?

Yes, please uninstall OFF P3 and follow the install instructions including installing the CFS3 game first. P3 needs certain files from the initial CFS3 install. :rolleyes:

OvS

Hey OvS,

Well, I'd rather not go through the whole uninstall and reinstall option. I followed the instructions on your website:

Q. Do I need to actually install CFS3 first?

A. During install process the OFF BH&H installer will ask you to provide CFS3 so it can copy the CFS3 files it needs.

You can provide the files required from either :

1) An installed CFS3

- OR-

2) Your original CFS3 disks

You can choose.

I'm pretty sure the instructions that came with the OFF3 dvd also suggested this proceedure, and there were numerous posts on the old forum about just installing OFF3 without needing to install CFS3, as OFF3 would get the files it needed in the install from the original disk.

So that's what I did.

I've got things set up well and have a number of pilots with histories, and have defragged my drive (not a quick procedure with these large programs) so as to maximize play speed. So, uninstalling and reinstalling isn't appealing, particularly when I followed directions on the install in the first place.

Is there not another way to address this issue?

Yes, please uninstall OFF P3 and follow the install instructions including installing the CFS3 game first. P3 needs certain files from the initial CFS3 install. :rolleyes:

OvS

does he need to be to 3.1a or is 3.1 alright? As I understand it,,3.1a is bomber sights or something along those lines..

does he need to be to 3.1a or is 3.1 alright? As I understand it,,3.1a is bomber sights or something along those lines..

Ok now problem. BHaH is working them it's only the MP side of it that has issues.

You do need 3.1 though. 3.1a is not needed, as Duck already pointed out, it's only a minor CFS3 patch for bomber sights and FM's on some CFS3 planes.

We only recommend having CFS3 installed so you can be positive that it's patched to 3.1.

Unless you're 100% positive it's a 3.1 disc, then you'll need to reinstall.

OvS

Ok now problem. BHaH is working them it's only the MP side of it that has issues.

You do need 3.1 though. 3.1a is not needed, as Duck already pointed out, it's only a minor CFS3 patch for bomber sights and FM's on some CFS3 planes.

We only recommend having CFS3 installed so you can be positive that it's patched to 3.1.

Unless you're 100% positive it's a 3.1 disc, then you'll need to reinstall.

OvS

Well, when I got home I pulled out the disk and looked at the files on it. There is a single readme file on cd 1. In the readme file, it lists the issues addressed by 3.1, which makes me pretty certain that the version on the cd is 3.1. So I think the problem must be something else.

never asked you what os you are running,,vista or xp,,,

and just out of curisity,,,do you have to have the cd in the drive,,,to play the game..

not sure if this is the same on vista or not ( i have xp)...but open your obd/ww1 overflandersfields and find your cfs3mp.exe....send it to the desktop as a shorcut,,,and start your mp game from there... it may,,or may not help your problem...

its 840 edt here,,,i will watch the forum,,,if i see a post from you before i have to leave,,,and if you have the time ( i know you had some things to do),,,will try and hook up with you to try and resolve the problem.

if not,,,,let me know a good time for you tommorow,,and will try and adjust my heavily laden schedule to accomodate..

but,...would like to put this question out to the forum,,,just for future reference,,,,

if you have a cfs3 cd with 3.1 on it,,,,can you install off3 from the cd,,without a cfs3 installation...i belive all the posts in the past have indicated that this could only be done with a dvd.....

Don't forget you will need to allow CFS3MP.exe through your firewall that could cause a hang if firewall in background is complaining.. plus also set up cfs3config sliders, ,make sure terrain and scenery is not too high.

Hey Duck and Pol,

Just got home. Wasn't able to get the headset yet, and haven't been home to download and install teamspeak, so I think another time will be better for figuring this out. If tomorrow is packed for you Duck, I'm pretty flexible all weekend.

I'm running Vista 32. And, normally, I'd have to put the cd in the drive to play, but I downloaded something I don't think I'm supposed to talk about to get around that, as I hated having it in all the time (my drive is super noisy). Perhaps that is the problem?! I'll put the .exe on the desktop, though, and start it from there and see if that makes a difference. I recall posts about that also. I renamed and kept the original .exe, so I could replace that and try that as well (since the workaround was just a different version of the .exe and some other file I'm sure I can find and remove).

I'm such a novice when it comes to multiplay, though, that I know nothing about firewalls, and even less about them in Vista, so I'll check around the net for info on configuring that (unless Pol has some tips for how to do it). I'm pretty sure my terrain and scenery sliders are on 4.

I sure appreciate the help on this. I'm pretty interested in what I saw on the little teaser video of the multiplay session.

But I'm sure the instructions on the OFF site and a good number of posts claimed that OFF installs just fine by copying the files it needs from either the CDs or the DVD. Now, that may not mean that such an install is MP friendly. I sure would hate to uninstall and reinstall, though.

Edit: I think I just figured out how to set up the firewall to let programs through. It seemed pretty straightforward. I allowed CFS3.exe, CFS3MP.exe, and Over Flanders Fields all just to be sure. I'll try to do multiplayer again and see what happens, although it will be about an hour before I can do so. Family duties!

Edited by griphos

Okay, I tried all these things. I replaced the workaround .exe with the original .exe and got rid of the other extra file. Tested that. It worked fine (but required the cd in the drive as it is supposed to). Tried MP. Same crash error ("Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator has stopped working, Windows is trying to figure out the problem"). Put a shortcut to the CFS3MP.exe to the desktop and tried to start it from there, just immediately gave the crash error message above. Set the sliders in CFSconfig to 3 except for Terrain and Scenery to 2. Tried again, same problem.

What it is doing is accepting my mission and date, then doing the usual setting up message dialog boxes (you know, setting targets, etc.) and then when it seems it wants to go to the first MP page (such as I see in the slides on the old how to do MP post) it gives the crash error message above. It then takes me back to the manager.

I'm stumped. Unless I don't have the firewall set correctly, which I believe I do as it was quite simple (just open firewall settings and click on the allow programs box and click or add the programs to allow).

???????

Did I mention that I REALLY don't want to have to uninstall and install again?! I guess I don't mind that work, or the work of setting all the settings again, or the work of defragging afterward, but I'm also guessing that if I try to save my pilots and reimport them into the new install, I'll probably mess things up, since I'm guessing there's more involved than just copying and pasting the "Pilots" folder in CampaignData.

Edited by griphos

hi,

sorry bout all your problems....

and was being saracastic about my schedule....i get back from my sales route around 2ishpm edt, and can hook up with you anytime after that,,,although at this point in time,,,,,whatever your problem is..its got my pretty stumped....

dont know if its a vista issue or what....

i will try and get back to the old posts to see if there is anything there that may indicate what the problems is....

i do seem to remember someone with vista renaming some files...

duck

Hey Duck,

I'll be around later today, probably about 4pm or so your time. But I'm pretty stumped too. Thanks for looking around to see if you find anything else to try. I'll do the same. I'd hate for it to be something having to do with my rig, particularly if I go through the process of uninstalling and reinstalling CFS3 first as a full install and lose all my pilots and still wind up having the problem.

:nono:

Hey Duck,

I'll be around later today, probably about 4pm or so your time. But I'm pretty stumped too. Thanks for looking around to see if you find anything else to try. I'll do the same. I'd hate for it to be something having to do with my rig, particularly if I go through the process of uninstalling and reinstalling CFS3 first as a full install and lose all my pilots and still wind up having the problem.

:nono:

ok,,will plan to meet you around that time....if you can get teamspeak up and running,,would help...

ok,,will plan to meet you around that time....if you can get teamspeak up and running,,would help...

Put the original CFS3MP.exe back and set it's properties, compatibility to XP, and set "run as admin" ?

Cheers

Pol

Hey Duck,

I'm just now heading for home, so it'll be another hour or so.

And, Pol, I've always had the original CFS3MP.exe (it was just the CFS3.exe that was replaced), but I'll set it up as you suggest. Excellent idea!

Okay, progress, I think. I set up the CFS3MP.exe to run in XP compatible mode and run as administrator and we get further in the process now. I click on MP and it loads things and then asks me to allow CFS3MP to run, which I do, then it gives me the error message that the cd is not in the drive (which it is). I'm using the original CFS3.exe and have gotten rid of the extra file (Rzr..something or the other). I tried using the second cd, but same message.

I'm going to try launching it directly, rather than from the OFF manager, and I'm going to read the thread you mentioned, Duck, and also another one on the general forum about someone having problems with this error message even though the cd is in the drive. I may try setting up my OFF manager (and maybe the plain CFS3.exe) to run in compatibility mode and run as administrator, although the only other time I did that, it caused problems with the regular offline execution of the game.

It'll be a couple of hours, as I have to talk to my mortgage broker now (interest rates are down below 5%!). But I'll holler when I've made any progress (including downloaded Teamspeak and setting it up).

Thanks Duck for sticking with me and trying so hard to get this figured out with me!

yeah,,,your the 2nd person with that problem..

i know on my computer,,,,it has to be in the drive it was INSTALLED with,,,,so if you have a cdrom/dvdrom you have to have disk2 in the right drive

i will check posts every so often,,,and keep my eye on teamspeak...

Success!!

:yahoo:

That thread on the old forum did the trick. I followed the instructions and when launching from the shortcut on the desktop as they suggest, I appear to get where I need to be. It puts me on a field looking at an Albatross and with the "Hanger" and two medals, a "Missions" medal and a "Multiplayer" medal.

:ok:

I clicked on Multiplayer and it pulls up some screens that look like the screens in the slides of the how to do MP thread I downloaded.

So, let me download Teamspeak and dig up some kind of microphone (until I can get to Walmart and get the one you mentioned) and I'll read through that thread with its slideshots and I think I'll be good to go!

:good:

Edited by griphos

Hey Duck,

Okay, I've got Teamspeak 2 installed, the Quickstart Free Trial version. Is this the right version? My understanding is that Teamspeak is free to non-commercial users. Right? I dug up a little microphone as well. I've tried to connect to the Teamspeak Test Server, and it seems to connect to the test servers, but I don't hear anybody, just the computer voice saying when "new players" join or leave.

I'm trying to find the Outlaw TS server Stump mentions on the D&H site. I'll try to connect to that when I find it.

Otherwise, I'll check back here and when you're available and want to try to hook up via TS or connect the game to test MP fully, just let me know.

Again, thanks for sticking with me. I think this is going to work!

Hey Duck,

Okay, I've got Teamspeak 2 installed, the Quickstart Free Trial version. Is this the right version? My understanding is that Teamspeak is free to non-commercial users. Right? I dug up a little microphone as well. I've tried to connect to the Teamspeak Test Server, and it seems to connect to the test servers, but I don't hear anybody, just the computer voice saying when "new players" join or leave.

I'm trying to find the Outlaw TS server Stump mentions on the D&H site. I'll try to connect to that when I find it.

Otherwise, I'll check back here and when you're available and want to try to hook up via TS or connect the game to test MP fully, just let me know.

Again, thanks for sticking with me. I think this is going to work!

sorry,,,,wasnt watching the posts close enough.....

you want only the teamspeak 2 client....(5.4mb)

and,,here is the addryess,,in case you didnt get it...217.155.102.217:8767 note colon password is camel.....pic your own name

its 945 here,,and i am on teamspeak,,,will probably be on for another hour...

Edited by sitting_duck

Hey Duck,

Got your message. We've got company coming for lunch in a little bit, but should be free again by about 5:00 your time (adjusted).