Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Nvidia Plugin for Photoshop users

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/photosh...ds_plugins.html

An absolute must have if you own Photoshop, and want to skin.

This addon allows you to open, edit and save those all important DDS files that OFF skins use!...without the need for any additional software.

(once you finish skinning your aircraft, just save it as a DDS file, and away you go!)

OvS: Edited only to add in the 'Topic Description'. Great post and very important!!

Thanks for the info. I downloaded now. I have never skinned anything except a car for NASCAR. I may try the same on a plane.

Thanks for the info. I downloaded now. I have never skinned anything except a car for NASCAR. I may try the same on a plane.

Nice one Mr Dirt...keep checking back here, as hopefully a lot more stuff of interest to come

Also be sure to dl the dds thumb nail viewer for Windows Explorer and the WTV dds viewer which allows you to see a large screen view with alpha channels and dds info. Bot are free at the Nvidia site.

Cool tip Rabu..thanks very much!...hi ho hi ho ..it's off to Nvidia I go!

:clapping:

Nice post Widowmaker, i've got that NVIDIA app, but now how in the heck do you get an image on the plane. I've got a logo that i've inserted in photoshop on one of the texture layers... but when I save it as the default_t dds layer in my texture folder, it never seems to show up on the plane! Please help!!!

thanks,

ww1

:clapping:

Nice post Widowmaker, i've got that NVIDIA app, but now how in the heck do you get an image on the plane. I've got a logo that i've inserted in photoshop on one of the texture layers... but when I save it as the default_t dds layer in my texture folder, it never seems to show up on the plane! Please help!!!

thanks,

ww1

Hi Werewolf.

After you have finished editing the skin, save it as the default filename (but add something like MYSKIN1 to the end) for instance:

off_Alb_DV_later_t_Jasta 3 1917_SIMON RED TAIL (as you can see I added SIMON RED TAIL to the end of the filename)

MAKE SURE YOU ARE WORKING WITH A COPY OF THE SKIN AND NOT THE ORIGINAL!!!!!

If you are happy with the final result, you should use the 'Merge all Layers' option in Photoshop

You need to then save the file as a DD3/DDS (*.DDS) file in the drop down 'Save as' menu..and the Nvidia box will then appear...just click save without changing any default settings, and copy it back into the 'Skins' folder.

You should then be ok to fly, with the new logo.

Hope that helps?

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

idea.gif The nVidia plug-in also works with PaintShop Pro - I have it on my PSP 8 install

The nVidia plug-in also works with PaintShop Pro - I have it on my PSP 8 install

For us dinosaurs with PSP7, however, they don't work. Nothing for it but the tedious translation back and forth with DTXBmp.

For us dinosaurs with PSP7, however, they don't work. Nothing for it but the tedious translation back and forth with DTXBmp.

Or you could try something that supports .dds files directly. Not that I've tried it, but AFAIK Paint.NET does.

Something else - it's freeware.....

www.getpaint.net

Does this work with the 64 bit version of Photoshop? I've installed it but can't save as dds files so I assume my install didn't work....

Does this work with the 64 bit version of Photoshop? I've installed it but can't save as dds files so I assume my install didn't work....

hmm...not sure rwmarth tbh...cant see why not though

FYI, I've been using the nVidia plugin recently and found it doesn't open all types of .DDS files in PSP8. I've also tried Paint.NET with the same files and they open no problem. DXT1 non-transparent ones, iirc.

Also, as further info..it doesnt work (at time of writing) with Windows 7 64

It does now - there's been an update from nVidia. I have Photoshop CS2 running happily on Win7 64-bit with the plugin and there's a 64-bit version also available.