Sign in to follow this  
Geier

OFF & TrackIR

Since I just got my TIR I think it would be great if we could collect all the insights about what works best when it comes to TIR use in OFF. I just took my first couple of flights and damn if I didn't get something in my eye after a while. Since I was seven and started reading Biggles my life has been a long wait for this moment. I'm now 40. Took off in a Camel and toured the front alone in the winter.

One niggle that I haven't decided how to solve is raising my monitor. My table is kinda high and I had to swivel my chair far too far down for it to be comfortable in order to align my eyes with TrackIR.

But please, if we could put all our TIR posts in one thread, that would be really helpful, I'm sure not only for me.

I will just add a small observation regarding my own experience.

Always try to keep 'Backlighting' to a minimum (for example, if you have the sun blaring in from a window behind you..TrackIR has a fit!!)

One niggle that I haven't decided how to solve is raising my monitor. My table is kinda high and I had to swivel my chair far too far down for it to be comfortable in order to align my eyes with TrackIR.

I use a 47" monitor so the TIR receiver is a good 15" over my head and slightly to my left, and I have no issues. I just point it towards my self using the swivel on the base.

HTH

I started with TIR4 box stock. Played around with the settings, found what was comfortable and used that as a baseline.

From there I started trying different types of reflective tape and found one that "tightened" the response without adjusting any of the settings. So now I had repeatability so I started trying different angles, positions to improve accuracy.

I then "modded" the size of targets (on the hat clip) and found I now had better reflection. I then used a secret weapon (Q-tip) and used the body to roll the edge of tape so as to affect the rate-of-change the transmitter saw when the targets were getting close to or were on their edge.

Then, whew, I found I'm able to fly OFF3 without having to recenter in the sim, even leaving it to go to mess, back to field then back up in the air again. I found that if I start square with my monitor and don't move until the flight actually begins, I don't have to center at all. Some of this may help or hinder the performance in your setting. The only given I've found is that the TIR transmission is linear and the visual background is very important. Once those variables are no longer in the picture, it's a simple matter of just how far you want to try go to achieve realism.

My next task is to see if I can get the same results in mouse emulation. I'll be using RB3D since it has some TIR mouse coding using RELOAD. Next I'll try a sim that has true mouse look. But I'm afraid that may take some time: OFF3 is so beautiful to fly around in, I'd rather spend my "play" time in the sim than experimenting.

I started with TIR4 box stock. Played around with the settings, found what was comfortable and used that as a baseline.

From there I started trying different types of reflective tape and found one that "tightened" the response without adjusting any of the settings. So now I had repeatability so I started trying different angles, positions to improve accuracy.

I then "modded" the size of targets (on the hat clip) and found I now had better reflection. I then used a secret weapon (Q-tip) and used the body to roll the edge of tape so as to affect the rate-of-change the transmitter saw when the targets were getting close to or were on their edge.

Then, whew, I found I'm able to fly OFF3 without having to recenter in the sim, even leaving it to go to mess, back to field then back up in the air again. I found that if I start square with my monitor and don't move until the flight actually begins, I don't have to center at all. Some of this may help or hinder the performance in your setting. The only given I've found is that the TIR transmission is linear and the visual background is very important. Once those variables are no longer in the picture, it's a simple matter of just how far you want to try go to achieve realism.

My next task is to see if I can get the same results in mouse emulation. I'll be using RB3D since it has some TIR mouse coding using RELOAD. Next I'll try a sim that has true mouse look. But I'm afraid that may take some time: OFF3 is so beautiful to fly around in, I'd rather spend my "play" time in the sim than experimenting.

This is exactly the kind of info I posted asking about in another thread...and as was suggested here it would be nice to have a separate topic listing (sticky?) for TIR info that newcomers considering TIR (me for instance) could access to help in the decision process. Afterall it is a $130 investment and thus prudent to be as informed as possible.

This is exactly the kind of info I posted asking about in another thread...and as was suggested here it would be nice to have a separate topic listing (sticky?) for TIR info that newcomers considering TIR (me for instance) could access to help in the decision process. Afterall it is a $130 investment and thus prudent to be as informed as possible.

How far past OVER50? I'm 57. Feel 40 flying OFF. My wife thinks I'm a "teenager" and gets mad sometimes.

Buy TIR4. Its a great investment. If you don't run it USB direct off your mobo, get a powered hub. That's what I use; much easier unplugging stuff from it top side when I have to. If you get disoriented or uncomfortable, back off a little while. It took me a couple of weeks before I could use it for LONG stretches. Controlling maximum screen movement while maintaining visual orientation is no different than learning angles to lead a plane to shoot it down. It doesn't look right at first and doesn't seem normal, but you get a lot more kills than by always shooting from the 6. After a couple of weeks, you'll find it very hard to use the pov to change view in sims that don't support TIR or mouse look. Go to NATURALPOINT and look up the games that support it.

I was one of those who got wastebasket sick when DOOM came out. The corridors, angles and color mix got me for awhile.

I use a 47" monitor so the TIR receiver is a good 15" over my head and slightly to my left, and I have no issues. I just point it towards my self using the swivel on the base.

HTH

I'd love to see how it works on 47" !!! monitor. I have a GDM-FW900 24" flat panel, all 109lbs of it. It isn't going anywhere until it dies.

How far past OVER50? I'm 57. Feel 40 flying OFF. My wife thinks I'm a "teenager" and gets mad sometimes.

Buy TIR4. Its a great investment. If you don't run it USB direct off your mobo, get a powered hub. That's what I use; much easier unplugging stuff from it top side when I have to. If you get disoriented or uncomfortable, back off a little while. It took me a couple of weeks before I could use it for LONG stretches. Controlling maximum screen movement while maintaining visual orientation is no different than learning angles to lead a plane to shoot it down. It doesn't look right at first and doesn't seem normal, but you get a lot more kills than by always shooting from the 6. After a couple of weeks, you'll find it very hard to use the pov to change view in sims that don't support TIR or mouse look. Go to NATURALPOINT and look up the games that support it.

I was one of those who got wastebasket sick when DOOM came out. The corridors, angles and color mix got me for awhile.

Ripe old age of 69...but still a big kid at heart which my grandson thinks is cool 'cause his granddad plays computer games..

Ripe old age of 69...but still a big kid at heart which my grandson thinks is cool 'cause his granddad plays computer games..

Way to go m8!!

Trackir is a bit of a vampire, in that it strongly dislikes bright lights, especially sunlight. That includes reflected light, so if you're folically challenged (Bald), cover that chrome dome, it has been known to cause problems.

God how I laughed with that one!! :lmaosmiley: :lmaosmiley: :lmaosmiley:. I really wouldnt believe that this kind of reflection could affect TrackIR.

Anyway next week I will have >FREETRACK< assembled and instead of spending 140$ for TrackIR I will have spent 20$ mwahahaha..!

God how I laughed with that one!! :lmaosmiley: :lmaosmiley: :lmaosmiley:. I really wouldnt believe that this kind of reflection could affect TrackIR.

Anyway next week I will have >FREETRACK< assembled and instead of spending 140$ for TrackIR I will have spent 20$ mwahahaha..!

I had considered FREETRACK, but I'm lazy and wanted "someone" else to do the dirty work first, so I bought the T4. I guess I'm just a custodian.

Please let me know how it goes and how it works. The posts I've researched indicate the TIR mouse may be a hit/miss proposition and needs continous fiddling. TIR won't place nice with GLOVEPIE, but FREETRACK does in mouse emulation, at least that's what I've been able read so far.

Who knows, I just might have to get in shape to change emulators for different sims. I'm lazy, but I could rationalize it as an exercise program.

ps. Is there a good voice recognition program that can handle inputing script? I may have to do more exercising. I hate typing: "hunt and peck" get confused sometimes.

WOW! Setup a LAN and whoop up on him. Show him he's got a lot to learn. "Tough" love, better gaming and lot's of mutal respect.

What?? Oh please dont tell me that. Did you use all the software to get it working with CFS3?(TIR attack) Did you test it under the pure CFS3 first and then OFF?

Edited by Gous

Guy's Trackir is a great tool but to get the best from it you need to play with the profiles.

To avoid having to hit F12 everytime you want to shoot at something and for more stable veiwing create a flat spot or dead zone right where your target is.

In the profile set up you can adjust each movement seperately to suit what you want. I took the veiw of looking left/right and up/down and created a flat spot right in the middle of the view curve. That way when i start a flight i hit F12 once when sitting in the cockpit then i'm good to go for the whole flight or afternoon if i don't get out my chair.

When flying around, if i looking from left to right i get a small area of no movement right where my target is, and again for looking up and down, it's like Trackir stops working for that split second you are looking through your target until you move your head past that point again. This way when watching your enemy in front of you and you get him in your target you know your shooting straight because any small head movement at that point will not be picked up by Trackir and therefore spoil your shot.

I'll try and post some pictures from the profile setup over the weekend if not tonight.

I'll try and post some pictures from the profile setup over the weekend if not tonight.

Please do!..that's a smashing idea! (iv'e nearly worn out my F12 key!)

Great job everybody! Looking forward to AussiePilot's profiles and whether Gous can get FreeTrack to work in OFF.

(I and others have also managed to spread the word on the other game fora I frequent and I believe a sale or three has been effected through that thread.)

Excellent. More "tinkering".

And by the way, I haven't stalled my rotary or inline using the 2/3's you suggested. I've sputtered a couple of times, but I haven't had to glide. Thanks.

Yes I did use tir_Attack 1.6 but it would no pickup cfs3 using P3 I jus keep getting " could not read from the process (12b only part read memory)

Fs3 support failed at T5

So I am stuck it is a bit beyond me

Yes I have tried Freetrack in other games il2, lock on

And all worked fine

Edited by FRANZ JG37

WOW! Setup a LAN and whoop up on him. Show him he's got a lot to learn. "Tough" love, better gaming and lot's of mutal respect.

Yeah, right. I've watched him play my FPS'rs on my rig and .... well, let's just say my twitch factor is about a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being where he is. Youth is a wonderful thing....just too bad it's wasted on young people.. :biggrin:

You can check if your trackir is getting too much reflection by opening trackir, selecting 'view' then 'tracking'. You will now be able to see what your motion trackir can 'see'. If you see three green lights corresponding to the three reflectors on your cap / headset, then all is well.

If you see more than three reflections, or larger expanses of red or green shapes, then your Motion trackir is picking up additional and unwanted light reflection from somewhere. It might be a window, sunshine, a bulb reflecting on a door, or even the safety stripes on a high-viz jacket. All this extra 'noise' confuses the trackir, which can no longer rationalise the movement of one reflector relative to another, and your trackir will be freaking out as a result.

Yeah, right. I've watched him play my FPS'rs on my rig and .... well, let's just say my twitch factor is about a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being where he is. Youth is a wonderful thing....just too bad it's wasted on young people.. :biggrin:

You got that right. You, we, have one great advantage though, and that's thinking ahead, planning ahead. Youth has reflexs, we have planning, anticipation and patience. All you need is one or two well planned bursts and a #2 "twitch factor" will get the job done.

On the other hand, if you've taught or started to teach him the importance of planning, looking ahead and patience, you're toast up there.

Just had what is probably the greatest dogfight of my life thanks to TIR. Me and my Jasta 5 kette (all four of us have been around since start of campaign 6 weeks ago) swooped down on a flight of six Nieuport scouts that had been eluding me the entire flight by constantly having altitude advantage that I couldn't seem to beat, until they got careless. The fight probably lasted for over 15 minutes and we were joined by a DII and a Halberstadt at some point. But wow, being able to look around like this made it so intense I was sweating.

Normally I would padlock an enemy and check my six once in a while but when you're flying like this your six isn't often where your hat switch thinks. At one point I rolled right to avoid collision with Richter, barely missed him, kicked full rudder and jammed the stick forward and went straight between the two Brits that were chasing him. I probably missed both by four feet, not more. Without TIR I wouldn't have seen anyone. Got one Nieup that burst into flames and probably put holes in all the rest. Out of ammo I got the heck out and Richter smoked the guy that tried to follow me. Got home with lots of holes in my Albatros, got confirmation on my three claims and someone threw an Iron Cross at me. 6 kills now, as many as Huber but two short of Richter and Grabenhoff. Poor Richter has had two claims for three weeks now, he really wants to reach ten before the inevitable happens. Gontermann has the highest score right now but he's a balloon chaser. Schneider and Nathanael close behind.

I've had worse days.

Picture 1.

1) (Trackir window) Start trackir, go to the profile you use, select and hit edit.

2) (cfs3 window, my profile name) Highlight Yaw, select edit yaw.

3) (Curve editor window) notice flat spot in the middle

4) (Curve editor window) select mirror values if you want both sides the same, ie looking left and right.

5) (Curve editor window) these little markers are point where you can move the shape of the curve. You can either drag them with the mouse or select one and use the up/down value on the right.

Picture 2.

1) Same as first picture but Pitch this time.

2) You'll see the right side, (for looking down) is different from the left (so i had mirror values of when i made this even though it now shows on.) I did this like this so when i look down it is more of bigger movement so i can quickly see my gauges, but i still have the flat spot in the middle.

Make a copy of your profile before messing about with it and you'll be right.

post-45954-1236381261_thumb.jpg

post-45954-1236382373_thumb.jpg

As I suggested in another thread, you really need to buy it and get used to it (takes a few days) and experiment with it. I guarantee you won't regret the purchase!

TIR actually has a forum of its own and a very helpful community. It includes a section on CFS3 that also covers OFF 3:

http://forum.naturalpoint.com/forum/ubbthr...d=10&page=1

Just a caution: some of the threads are quite old and the problems they had then have since been solved. Check the dates before you get too involved in the topics :)

ttt

Edited by tttiger