Sign in to follow this  
Wiens

View New Posts button MIA

Looks good here.......but I have an operational question about this forum.

Where is the View New Posts button for each topic. I've found the View New Posts button in the upper right quadrant of the forum but I can't seem to find the View New Posts button for each thread. I don't want to view all the new posts in the other non-OFF threads. The SOH forums had that and I really miss it here.......

Thanks in advance!!!

Kevin

Edited by Wiens

Anyone!?!?!?............

Looks good here.......but I have an operational question about this forum.

Where is the View New Posts button for each topic. I've found the View New Posts button in the upper right quadrant of the forum but I can't seem to find the View New Posts button for each thread. I don't want to view all the new posts in the other non-OFF threads. The SOH forums had that and I really miss it here.......

Thanks in advance!!!

Kevin

Look under the My Assistant up on the right. It's a tab in there.

Nice forum.. Uhh? :clapping:

Thanks, Rabu!

But that shows ALL new posts on this entire forum.......I'm just interested in the new posts in the OFF forum or the new posts in each thread.

Kevin

There's always different oddities changing between forums and you've happened upon one this forum software doesn't offer. Sorry about the bad news. There is however another way to stay informed of all the news in any given forum.

Go to the top level of the forum you want to keep up to date with. For OFF those would include the forums like OFF - General Discussion, etc. Once you're there you'll see all the posts in that given forum and if you look to the right on the top right corner you'll see an "Options" button. Left click that to open the drop down menu and there you can select "Subscribe to this forum." Then you can set the options for what you want to be notified of, example: all new posts.

Next go to your My Controls panel > Forum Subscriptions > (or click here: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?act=UserCP&CODE=50) You should see the forums listed that you are subscribed to and you can now set your notification preference. The forum will email you depending on what you choose a daily, immediate, etc notification of the updates you request.

Subsequently you can subscribe to individual topics as well using the same method described above by using the "Options" button located at the top of all forums and topics, then choosing subscribe. Managing individual topic notification and subscriptions can be handled by going to My Controls panel > Topic Subscriptions > (or click here: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?act=UserCP&CODE=26). There you can remove topics, and change notification settings.

It's not a per forum new posts button, but it's a handy way to get the job done and stay in touch. Other than that I'm afraid, as already mentioned, the My Assistant and New Posts button are the only alternatives I'm aware for a complete list.

Now individually there's a notification icon that most don't know what it's there for and I may get shot for telling you but here goes.

Let's say you open a main forum like OFF - General Discussion. http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showforum=204

In the list that appears you'll see an orange box looking thing with a little white corner. That box indicates that there are posts in that topic that you haven't read. Clicking that orange box takes you to the first post in that topic that you haven't read. You can quickly scan through the forums and be alerted by this orange box that there's something there you haven't seen before. Since all new posts in topics automatically float to the top all your orange boxes will be shown first so you don't have to scan the entire forum index, just until the orange boxes aren't there. So I guess in a few ways this board will accommodate what you're looking for it's just done a little differently.

Another thing that alerts you to new posts is the aircraft in the crosshairs on the forum index or sub category index (read: like OFF). If the aircraft is grayed out then there are no new posts in that thread (read: like OFF - General Discussion). If however the aircraft is dark with a flashing red dot then there are new posts. Each skin is a bit different but for the most part the notification of new posts is very apparent.

Once you get used to this board and it's features I'm sure you'll be impressed it's very well rounded and robust.

Hope that helps.

Erik

Erik,

Thanks!!! Your tip does exactly what I want.......to go the the first new post in a thread. Now who would want to shoot you for revealing that tip?

Thanks again!!

Kevin