Sign in to follow this  
Over50

TrackIR thread?

If a thread existed specific to TrackIR questions, setup, issues, etc. for both XP and Vista (I have XP) could someone please point me to it. If not, I think it would be very useful to have one for those who - like me - had/have never heard of TIR. I've read comments in various threads about "white triangles" some have experienced for instance that could be addressed in a separate thread (sticky?) among others for folks who are considering TIR - which I am, but would like a better understanding of the whole product, warts and all from people who use it with OFF.

Edited by Over50

If a thread existed specific to TrackIR questions, setup, issues, etc. for both XP and Vista (I have XP) could someone please point me to it. If not, I think it would be very useful to have one for those who - like me - had/have never heard of TIR. I've read comments in various threads about "white triangles" some have experienced for instance that could be addressed in a separate thread (sticky?) among others for folks who are considering TIR - which I am, but would like a better understanding of the whole product, warts and all from people who use it with OFF.

TIR is such a matter of personal taste and style, I'm not sure advice from one user is useful for the whole flock.

As a TIR user of many years (and many versions) in many sims, I really suggest you buy it, spend a week or so getting used to it and then start experimenting with tweaking the profile until it fits your style..

For example, for me, it works great in OFF but it is essential I keep the F12 button (center the screen) handy because I use so much body English in a dog fight that it's hard to keep my sights aligned. If you're good at holding your head (and everything else) still, F12 is not that important.

I have no objections to a thread but until you've tried it and are used to it, all the hints in the world are going to seem meaningless.

Just go out and buy it!

It really has NO warts. Well...if you're prone to motion sickness keep your keyboard covered for the first few days. Your brain will adjust quite soon. Probably. ;)

ttt

Edited by tttiger

I can't comment related to OFF, but I use TIR4 with FS9, Third Wire series, and IL-2. It's the best thing for flight sims since the 3-D cockpit. I sometimes get the little screen tears/gaps too but I agree it's probably from turning your head too fast. Think about it, with a normal 3D pit head swivel via a hat switch it's at a constant rate that I guess the system can anticipate rendering for. With TIR you can rotate the view from dead ahead to over your shoulder and all points in between in a blink so it makes sense that it might need a second to "catch up" with where your view is directed. I've never had it last for more than a second and it hasn't been a problem.

I did a quick flight in FS9 last night and forgot to turn on TIR before I launched flight simulator. I took off and was turning my head all over because I was so used to using it, bothered me so much I backed out and started all over again with it on. So you will get used to it quick, and after that there's no going back!

Another nice thing (for me) in combat sims too is that it's easier to maintain orientation of your aircraft's nose relative to your view direction. Before TIR I would try tracking targets either via padlock or hat switch, it took me all of about 5 seconds to get disoriented if things were happening fast. With TIR you turn your head, so you know your nose is always "face forward".

Hi 50,

Basically TrackIR is a means of converting your head movements into the game, be it a flight sim, driving sim or first person sim.

TRackIR pro 4 is a small sender/receiver screen which sits on your monitor and should be lined up with the left side of your headset. The three pronged IR sensors are clamped to the side of the headset on the headband. Once its set up, your head movements (up, down, move left, move right, look up, look down etc) are duplicated from the cockpit viewpoint. It really is a must if you want to get the most out of WW1 flying. And, there's no need to use keyboard commands or POV switches to look around. Just move your head!!!

Setting up is fairly straight forward and I've found leaving the setting as 'custom' and not changing any of the sliders works just fine. TrackIR pro doesn't really hit your frame rate either.

As for the white flashes, its usually down to video card memory/capacity. When you move your head fast (say from side to side) the GPU can lag behind a little, hence the graphic flashes. However, if you've got a half descent video card you can learn what the quickest movement is for your setup.

Setting it up is easy enough - just follow the instructions provided. Make sure you go onto the Natural Point web site and download and install the latest update, which includes OFF (CFS3) recognition.

Like I said, if you can afford it, get it - you won't be sorry.

Hi 50,

Basically TrackIR is a means of converting your head movements into the game, be it a flight sim, driving sim or first person sim.

TRackIR pro 4 is a small sender/receiver screen which sits on your monitor and should be lined up with the left side of your headset. The three pronged IR sensors are clamped to the side of the headset on the headband. Once its set up, your head movements (up, down, move left, move right, look up, look down etc) are duplicated from the cockpit viewpoint. It really is a must if you want to get the most out of WW1 flying. And, there's no need to use keyboard commands or POV switches to look around. Just move your head!!!

Setting up is fairly straight forward and I've found leaving the setting as 'custom' and not changing any of the sliders works just fine. TrackIR pro doesn't really hit your frame rate either.

As for the white flashes, its usually down to video card memory/capacity. When you move your head fast (say from side to side) the GPU can lag behind a little, hence the graphic flashes. However, if you've got a half descent video card you can learn what the quickest movement is for your setup.

Setting it up is easy enough - just follow the instructions provided. Make sure you go onto the Natural Point web site and download and install the latest update, which includes OFF (CFS3) recognition.

Like I said, if you can afford it, get it - you won't be sorry.

Thanks much all for the replies, specifically the blank/white triangle/flashes issue comments. I've visited the TIR website and viewed the demo(s) so I understand the mechanics envolved - but the white anomolies I noted was a concern before plunking down $130 for the product. And from what I gather this issue is the only one of consequence that I could run into. Still on the fence but leaning toward a purchase ..

Again, a big thank you for the replies/info. :salute:

Hi 50:

The triangles are inconsequential. You will actually not even notice them, if you get them at all. I used to get them with my old rig and I just ignored them, eventually they became invisible. The benefits of the TIR far outweigh the the little bit of video tearing at the edges of the screen.

Go for it.

We must be neighbors if I turn around in my chair I can see Michigan out my Window. Not a good view though, Fermi Nuclear :skull: plant dominates

Tony

I just bought TrackIR a couple of weeks ago, and it really is one of those things that you wonder how you got by so long without it. It completely changes the environment.

Hi 50:

The triangles are inconsequential. You will actually not even notice them, if you get them at all. I used to get them with my old rig and I just ignored them, eventually they became invisible. The benefits of the TIR far outweigh the the little bit of video tearing at the edges of the screen.

Go for it.

We must be neighbors if I turn around in my chair I can see Michigan out my Window. Not a good view though, Fermi Nuclear :skull: plant dominates

Tony

Naw, I'm too far up the road from there to see it even if it does glow in the dark. But my view isn't any better with the vacant multi acre slabs of concrete where numerous demolished GM plants once stood...

Edited by Over50