Sign in to follow this  
jag

OFF

Welcome aboard guys. I have never really been interested in WWI sims, until I started seeing some of the screen shots from OFF. I would like to purchase the game but was wondering if some of you could fill me in on the game a bit from those that play it. How is the emmersion, do you feel for your fellow pilots? How is the damage modeling? Do you fly the same plane your whole tour? Are there any bad things about the game? ETC., ETC. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Also, where do I purchase, and do I have to have CFS3?

Thanks guys.

Welcome aboard guys. I have never really been interested in WWI sims, until I started seeing some of the screen shots from OFF. I would like to purchase the game but was wondering if some of you could fill me in on the game a bit from those that play it. How is the emmersion, do you feel for your fellow pilots? How is the damage modeling? Do you fly the same plane your whole tour? Are there any bad things about the game? ETC., ETC. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Also, where do I purchase, and do I have to have CFS3?

Thanks guys.

You do have to have CFS3 (you can a get a copy between $4.99 and $9.99 on eBay or Amazon).

You can buy OFF P3 here:

http://www.overflandersfields.com/

It has the best offline campaign engine I have ever seen. That is worth the price by itself.

here is a great link to all the features and will probaly answer most of your questions about the sim (tons of info here) :

http://www.overflandersfields.com/features.htm

I'll be writing a review shortly focusing on the campaign engine itself. and SIM HQ did a great review of the game here (talks about the features again but the link above should answer everything).

http://www.simhq.com/_air12/air_401a.html

If you're into some good reads, look at the "Stories from the Front" thread. There are many experiences in game described by the devs, beta testers, and players. I saved a lot from the forum at SOH and will be posting more of them. Some actually had the feeling of being "hunted" by the AI. When BHaH was first released the AI was better than OFF Phase 2, but since the 1.25 patch, the AI is as deadly as the real thing! I won't lie to you, there are a few minor glitches etc, but the OFF team are working hard, producing patches to fix almost anything that is found. You won't find better game support anywhere. Between the OFF team (many of whom frequent the forum) and the many fans of OFF, most any problem you may have can be quickly overcome.

If you are undecided and would like a small taste of OFF, albeit not as good as BHaH, I could send you a DVD of OFF Phase 2 for free. If that's what you decide to do just remember that BHaH is far and away superior to Phase 2. Phase 2 is still a kick. I flew it for a year and a half and never tired of it.

CJ

As said, you will need CFS3 to play OFF, but it is well worth the experience. Depending on the realism level you choose, you can die every mission or last several months. You can create an almost unlimited number of pilots, flying for either side and select any of the times throughout the war as well as any of the squadrons/Jastas. All squadrons have historical accuracy as to the types of a/c and the skins as well as names of squadron members at the given time.

I can assure you, at 100% realism, you'll be more worried about saving your own hide! The graphics are great, one of the best overall sims I've ever seen. One of the toughest, too!!! If you are up to the challenge......

WOW! I believe I just found my next purchase! Thanks for the CD offer there Camel Jockey. One more thing though. How does it run on Vista?

I think OFF3's beauty, balance, realism and depth of play is on the same plane (no pun intended) as that of Dynamix's RED BARON was to revolutionizing the flight sim genre.

Il-2, in my opinion, is one of the most technically authentic sims produced to date. OFF3 has that and added pure gaming enjoyment and wanting to "play" the game well to the mix.

One word comes to mind, craftsmanship. And that's very rare.

I've even started posting and I haven't done that in many years.

Been flying OFF since phase 1 even now I get shot down alot, but the sim is great. The dev team works extremly hard on their product. They listen to their pilots out there on the lines and do everything in their power to give us the very best tools to carry the fight to the hun. I highly recommend this sim. I have read about WWI piolots since childhood. This sim gives me a chance to relive these Iron men with Wooden Wings. That was the name of the book that started my love for WWI history. Buy it you will like it.

I agree with the previous posts. Two additional points that I thik are somewhat unique to WWI sims.

First, combat is up close and personal in OFF. No firing at radar blips. Instead, the enemy is so close you can see the details of his crate. Wonderfully immersive -- especially when you see by his colors that he's a famous ace.

Second, if you fly -- and survive -- over the course of the war, you'll fly an incredible variety of aircraft. The early war pushers and monoplanes are a world away from the late war machines. The evolution of the aircraft is one of the most immersive features.

Great fun overall.

WOW! I believe I just found my next purchase! Thanks for the CD offer there Camel Jockey. One more thing though. How does it run on Vista?

P3 is much , much better than P2. Just keep that in mind. The CD he is offering is P2 not P3

Hey Jag,

I'm running it on Vista 32 just great. No problem installing and no problem playing so far (with one strange exception that when I try to view manuals from withing the game...while flying...CFS3 crashes and OFF gets weird). Perhaps this is an artifact of the "hanger," from which you access the manuals (and controls, etc) seems to be really the only bit of CFS3 (besides multiplayer) left in the program. Other than that, though, superb. You'll see from a couple of my "reports from the front" that immersion is amazing.

yes it does. Vista 32 or 64 (or Xp 32)

...rex

Ain't gonna Lie . .Phase 3 BHaH installs no problem on Vista 32 & 64

Phase 2 was written with XP in mind, due the fact when the work was started on Phase 1. Vista wasn't even on the drawing boards at Micro$oft

Quite a few have gotten it to run on Vista 32.

Very few have gotten it to run on Vista 64

I had phase 2 running on Vista 64 with little trouble. Just a bit of tinkering.

Phase 3 no problems at all.

I'am on vista 64, it runs like a dream.....