Sign in to follow this  
EricJ

F/A-18F Super Hornet (New Model) V1.9

(EDIT: Sorry, SaE, wasn't trying to lecture you on aerodynamics. I pretty much said what you said. Guess I didn't read your post thoroughly the first time.)

I didn't see it as a lecture, but as a comparrison on how we both understand the physics involved. Now, if the real hornet does have aileron surfaces and elevator surfaces interacting with rudder input, then this fix should be able to sort of replicate that. We just won't see the surfaces moving on the 3D model because there aren't any nodes available to mimic those movements. I'm sure with more precise fine tuning, you can remove any undesirable roll when you want to yaw left or right. But try out the fix and give a feedback on it, whether positive or negative. I really like to hear what you guys think of it. Again, this can be used for all other hornets.

Edited by serverandenforcer

It's nice, smoother. But you have to realize that JAT81500 used the MF A version as the template for it, but still good work :good:

Well, I did another test with this fix that I didn't follow up on and that is how well it can adjust to a new heading via rudders on altitude hold. It adjusts quite well. :ok:

PM it or post it here bro, I like the tweaking. Only other issue we tried to get (as best as possible without FC choking me to death) was gear compression. If you look at pics the nosewheel oleo is right up on the main housing. Someone suggested it in the WIP topic adding weight. I tried that, but not getting the right values. It's good as it is, but I think it's game engine related rather than JAT81500 or my attempts (which convinced me really, I need to get more experience in that area...)

PM it or post it here bro, I like the tweaking. Only other issue we tried to get (as best as possible without FC choking me to death) was gear compression. If you look at pics the nosewheel oleo is right up on the main housing. Someone suggested it in the WIP topic adding weight. I tried that, but not getting the right values. It's good as it is, but I think it's game engine related rather than JAT81500 or my attempts (which convinced me really, I need to get more experience in that area...)

It's the same fix that I recently posted in the .rar. Just giving feedback on some additional testing on it that I didn't do. Also, the jet is a lot more agile now too with a combination of rudder pedals and joystick roll input.

Cool beans then.. I got to make some fixes anyways, and will incorporate this in the next update.

index.php?autocom=downloads&req=display&code=sst&id=8375

File Name: F/A-18F Super Hornet (New Model) V1.5

File Submitter: EricJ

File Submitted: 6 Mar 2009

File Updated: 3 Apr 2009

File Category: F/A-18 Hornet

READ THE README

requires 7z to open:

http://www.7z.org

Adobe PDF for the readme:

http://www.adobe.com

Has weapon additions, and skin templates.

Falls under the Combatace.com Freeware License Agreement :good:

Version 1.5 Fixes:

- F/A-18F FM tweaked.

- Ground mapping radar now working with Oct 08 Patch.

It should be advised that this was designed for SFP1/WOV/WOI/WOE, not Strike Fighters 2 as issues from that game will affect gameplay to varying degrees.

-Note that for this to work in SF2, you must remove the refueller entries at the bottom, kreelin's mod conflicts with the SF2 gamecode so will not work.

Click here to download this file

Where I put, the "FA-18F_AI" folder?? :dntknw:

Thanks in advance!!!! :good:

These new Super Hornets are just fabulous. They're so detailed I end up spending most of the time looking around them with the external cameras, taking pictures, then looking at them over and over, rather than just flying these things. And is during one of these explorations I noticed a strange "bug" on its shadow. The model lets the engine of the game (in my case WOE) model the shadow rather than using a .shd shadow model, which is usually fine, provided the model doesn't have gaps, which usually produce the well known and pretty hideous black spikes connecting the aircraft to its shadow. In this case there are no "black spikes", but there's some strange behaviour of the generated shadows of the lower fuselage of these F\A-18. I just don't know whether it's just something that happens on my pc or if it's actually a charachteristic of this 3d model. To cut it short, it looks like the air intakes and the lower part of the fuselage don't cast any shadow. They receive shadows from other parts of the 3d model but don't cast their own. It appears (at least on my pc) the only parts casting shadows on the lower half of the airplane are the arrestor hook and the doors of the main landing gear.

I would just like to know if this is a known issue, or some glitch that only I experience, and if it's known if there are any plans to get rid of it.

Another curiosity of mine is about the external fuel tanks. As with many other add-on aircrafts they're pretty flat to light. While one can change light reflection settings for the FA-18 (and several extra skins for it implement more reflective settings), its tanks stay completely flat. If possible, it would be nice to have some reflections on the external tanks as well.

Thanks.

• Dislike 1

Who the f*** are you? Every post you make is something about how this or that could be better in YOUR opinion. Show us some of your work, if not be quiet.

• Like 2

Have to admit it there G, you do nitpick a lot for someone relatively new to the scene.

5 out of all 7 posts you have made so far are dedicated to pointing out errors in other people's work.

Perhaps a bit more balanced ratio, or better yet, after you've put some skull sweat into your own mods, you'll maybe get an idea that some things should just be let go...

FC

Another curiosity of mine is about the external fuel tanks. As with many other add-on aircrafts they're pretty flat to light. While one can change light reflection settings for the FA-18 (and several extra skins for it implement more reflective settings), its tanks stay completely flat. If possible, it would be nice to have some reflections on the external tanks as well.

Thanks.

Not sure if it's just settings on the model when FC exported it or not. Generally the tanks are flat anyways, so while in a sense they are "shiny", it's still relatively flat in real life.

Thanks for your kind answer EricJ. It's just that extracting original files with "SFP1E Extract utility" I didn't notice any special .ini settings for default TW tanks and given that some add-on planes have reflective, bare metal tanks, I was under the impression that having them flat right in the modelling process was somewhat of a default procedure people was not even questioning at all. I see several modders strive for hyper realistic planes and sometimes I feel they could get a better balance with a little less polygons on the models, smaller skins and decals and perhaps just a little more precision on the 3d model so to avoid damaged shadows (like those affected by the "black spike syndrome"). Sometimes nice lighting settings and a neat shadow can do miracles in terms of perceived graphic realism. Just compare a picture of a high res model with shadows off to a lower res model with working shadows on.

Anyway I understand it's always hard to read the attitude of people through a post. it's most likely we will end up projecting our own feelings and perhaps give written words a smug or even offensive attitude that was not necessarily intended. Rest assured I intended not to offend or hurt anybody. I've being downloading and using many add-ons for both LOMAC and TW games from this website in the last few months, and I'm greatful for all of them, I just felt like writing a couple of words on a few subjects, that's it.

Sometimes looking at the great job you've done so far it feels like some smallish things could be fixed with a very small marginal effort. Although perhaps you're right Dave, perhaps not knowing all that's behind your work I tend to underestimate the amount of time, the effort and the abilities required to do an add-on aircraft. Perhaps I underestimate that sometimes it gets to a point where one is so exhausted that even the idea of spending another hour on a subject is simply unbearable.

Bye and have a nice day :)

I think on that note I really didn't need hyper realistic stuff. Most of the shading is ok so while I'm figuring out ways to maybe enhance it, it's not a priority, nor are the tanks. When I get WOE V2 I may start touching with that, with 331Killerbee's topic elsewhere, mainly the different squadrons and such, that's my most major complaint, but nothing I can do about that right now.

Hi All!!

Mi english is bad because i am portuguese, but i hope anyone can understand and help me about this problem on mi WOE.

I love this F/A-18f REALLY!! ITS AMAZING! but i have a problem whit the external fuel tanks. I have WOE, whit the 2008oct. Patch and Weapons_Pack (25/01/09) and the model F/A-18F by ErciJ, the model works perfect but the fuel tanks dont show, i dont know why.. i have put the weapons of the weapons folder on mi WOE/weapons folder and write on the WEAPONDATA saved whit the weaponseditor, but i have notice one thing: the fuel tanks dont show on mi list on WEAPONDATA when i open whit the weapondEditor but show on the FA-18:WEAPOSDATA.ini

I have reinstall the model, reinstall the game, restart computer, save multi times, make other things but the fuel tanks continue not apear on mi loadout.

Any sugestions? i want the this AMAZING model 100% complete i love it! can anyone help me??

Thanks All and EricJ, i love this model continue the great work!! =D

Thanks all but again it was also the people who assisted in the project :good:

Updated after so long...

No problem! I figured that since its been so long and felt a little updating would be good :smile:

have a hard time with the externar tank to add in and the others pods only have all the weapons using weapons pack 1.52 help me please

You have to import those weapons in the file to your weapons list in order for them to show up. To do that you have to open your weapons editor and select "Import weapons" and then find where you put the text file. Then if it's done correctly the Super Hornet weapons will be added to your list of available weapons and you should see them in-game.