Sign in to follow this  
gbnavy61

Best Commie jet addons?

Looking for some decent Red Air birds to shoot down and/or hop in once in a while.

The only one I've found so far to be solid (in terms of an addon w/ few bugs, etc.) is TMF MiG-21F-13. It's no Crusader, that's for sure, but I have had fun flying it so far. I blasted a Mirage III out of the sky with my cannons and gave his wingman the slip when I intentionally departed to defeat his guns attack. The engine spool up time is godawful, it's got short legs, no radar, no ammo for the cannon, only carries two heaters, and the nose likes to seek dirt every time you put in some AOB. On the up side, if you can put rounds on target, you'll devastate, it's got pretty good visibility out of the cockpit and it's very responsive to the controls. Overall, seems like a jet that requires a rather experienced hand to be successful.

What others would you folks recommend? I don't necessarily want every single variant of every MiG/Sukhoi, but just an assortment of solid mods - something that gives me more than 30 mins of flight time with more than 2 hardpoints.

Marcfighters Su-27 and the Su-30/Su-27PU is good.

The MiG-23s are fun to spar with, especially in Tomcats or Phantoms. You can get some nice ones at C5's site, but they're not patched to october '08. I'm working on that, though. I do like having worthy opponents, because it makes victory that much sweeter and defeat that much more bearable.

I like the MiG-23s personally. Raphael did the original model and Oli updated them a couple of years back. The ML and MLD are particularly fun and can be tough opponents. I need to go back and update the flight models--there was some very good info on their characteristics in Red Eagles...basically the USAF pilots found their speed to be outstanding but called them death traps in the landing configuration. Not unlike some Century Series planes, I imagine.

Of course when the TMF MiG-29 is released, I think you will really like it. I wasn't involved with its creation so I don't feel embarassed to sing its praises. Its super tight.

TMF MiG-21F-13. I wish they would make a MF and Bis model.

Thanks, guys. Any more, please feel free to keep 'em coming.