I usually fly every mission from takeoff to landing, (a little alt-n in between). Some of the aircraft I fly have a weird shadow line that runs from the nose of the plane to the ground from every exterior angle. Have I loaded something incorrectly, or is there some update I am missing that causes this phenomenon?

First off, with some planes it only happens with the legacy shadowing system, and it's easily solved.

1) Open the [plane].ini file

2) Search for the [shadow] section

3) Replace the whole [shadow] section (or add, in case the section is missing) by

[Shadow]
CastShadow=TRUE
ShadowCastDist=10000
MaxVisibleDistance=800

That's the default for TW's planes

4) Save the changes

It might happen that the line still exists even after doing that, it is the result of a "flaw" in the 3D model and can't be fixed by an .INI change.

The obvious solution is either to correct the model, if you have the 3DS file, but there is another, using the pilot method to patch new 3D objects to correct these shadow problems, however it requires quite some work to get it to work as intended.

Some planes I know with this Peter Pan effect due to the 3D model are :

TMF SD Mirage F1s

Geo's F8F

All F-15 based on the early F-15C/E model by Flying Toaster (only visible when going below 45° roll)

Keep in mind this is not a "bug" of the engine, or a fault of the modders, as in the early days of SFP1 the shadow system was rudimentary, buggy, required to create a separate 3D model for the shadow, and had a toll on performance (for an unconvincing result most of the time).

So, most players played without shadows, and most modders couldn't test their model properly (as they couldn't determine whether the fault was one of the engine, of their original 3D model, or of the shadow 3D model).

First off, with some planes it only happens with the legacy shadowing system, and it's easily solved.

1) Open the [plane].ini file

2) Search for the [shadow] section

3) Replace the whole [shadow] section (or add, in case the section is missing) by

[Shadow]
CastShadow=TRUE
ShadowCastDist=10000
MaxVisibleDistance=800

That's the default for TW's planes

4) Save the changes

It might happen that the line still exists even after doing that, it is the result of a "flaw" in the 3D model and can't be fixed by an .INI change.

The obvious solution is either to correct the model, if you have the 3DS file, but there is another, using the pilot method to patch new 3D objects to correct these shadow problems, however it requires quite some work to get it to work as intended.

Some planes I know with this Peter Pan effect due to the 3D model are :

TMF SD Mirage F1s

Geo's F8F

All F-15 based on the early F-15C/E model by Flying Toaster (only visible when going below 45° roll)

Keep in mind this is not a "bug" of the engine, or a fault of the modders, as in the early days of SFP1 the shadow system was rudimentary, buggy, required to create a separate 3D model for the shadow, and had a toll on performance (for an unconvincing result most of the time).

So, most players played without shadows, and most modders couldn't test their model properly (as they couldn't determine whether the fault was one of the engine, of their original 3D model, or of the shadow 3D model).

Thank you for your response sir. Will give it a try at first light.

Another easy way is to just change the "CastShadow=" to FALSE. Also eliminates the problem for that single aircraft.

WRench

kevin stein

Another possibilty is that it's either pilot or seat shadows.