Sign in to follow this  
phantomjoker

Finally Got in

I tell a lie, there is a CFS3.exe in the OFF folder, but it won't add to the NVidia CP. I'm going to assume that's because the cfs3.exe is already in there, and as they're identical...?

I tell a lie, there is a CFS3.exe in the OFF folder, but it won't add to the NVidia CP. I'm going to assume that's because the cfs3.exe is already in there, and as they're identical...?

Well folks. Here is the latest try with "NO JOY"

I reset my graphics in Workshop, from no antialiasing to 4 samples, result, lockup after one minute

Uninstalled CFS3 completely.

Reset Workshop

Set to my 1280x1024x32, antialiasing to 4, result locked right up

set CFS3.EXE to suggested settings in Nvidia control panel

Locked right up at the airstrip.

deleted the CFS3.EXE overide in Nvidia control panel

Locked up again, could hear sound ok at this point but totally locked up, can not even control alt delete out of it.

In over 3 MONTHS! of trying this, the only thing that has allowed me to fly a couple of over and hour sessions was applying the suggestion of deleting the uisel file but that cause me to have to reinstall the OFF program. It was fine until I went into the CFS#.EXE icon inside OFF. After that, I was back to crashing and locking up and I didn't even change anything there. All I did was open it up!

Anybody think my CFS3 disk is bad? Anybody getting sick of this..I am

Joker

Well folks. Here is the latest try with "NO JOY"

I reset my graphics in Workshop, from no antialiasing to 4 samples, result, lockup after one minute

Uninstalled CFS3 completely.

Reset Workshop

Set to my 1280x1024x32, antialiasing to 4, result locked right up

set CFS3.EXE to suggested settings in Nvidia control panel

Locked right up at the airstrip.

deleted the CFS3.EXE overide in Nvidia control panel

Locked up again, could hear sound ok at this point but totally locked up, can not even control alt delete out of it.

In over 3 MONTHS! of trying this, the only thing that has allowed me to fly a couple of over and hour sessions was applying the suggestion of deleting the uisel file but that cause me to have to reinstall the OFF program. It was fine until I went into the CFS#.EXE icon inside OFF. After that, I was back to crashing and locking up and I didn't even change anything there. All I did was open it up!

Anybody think my CFS3 disk is bad? Anybody getting sick of this..I am

Joker

Joker..

Keep in mind your crash problem is ONLY with this game. Rather than continue to beat yourself up, after 3 months and everything you've tried/been suggested up to now, the fact you were able to play the game w/o problems by simply deleting the uisel file (which others with the crash problem did to get around it per the link) then just repeat the process to get back to that state then call it good. Or, continue with this exercise in frustration/futility on the remote chance someone will come up with the solution that after 3 months no one has so far..

Joker..

Keep in mind your crash problem is ONLY with this game. Rather than continue to beat yourself up, after 3 months and everything you've tried/been suggested up to now, the fact you were able to play the game w/o problems by simply deleting the uisel file (which others with the crash problem did to get around it per the link) then just repeat the process to get back to that state then call it good. Or, continue with this exercise in frustration/futility on the remote chance someone will come up with the solution that after 3 months no one has so far..

Interesting. If we look back to what Joker actually did, he says:

"Remembering that someone said to deliete the USIEL file, I did that.

OFF would no longer load and I got a message to uninstall and reinstall which I did."

Now, doesn't this mean that the deleting the UISEL file didn't really 'fix' the issue, only made OFF not load? Wouldn't the un/re-install actually have gotten rid of everything anyway? Hmm.

Now, let's also look at the actual, original post that discusses deleting the UISEL file:

"I fired up CFS3 for the first time in several months and after launching successfully, I hit escape right after the intro movie began and it crashed to the desktop. I had no such problem the last time I ran it."

Is it just me, or is this not actually what Joker has been experiencing? The point at which this occurs is where you'd be dumped into the menus. Joker's clearly gotten into the game and been flying, each time he had his problem. So, different symptoms - or so it certainly seems.

I don't think it's accurate to suggest that no one's come up with the solution thus far. Several of us have pointed out having the exact same problem Joker did - right down to it happening only in one game - and what at least seemed a promising solution, that worked in three of three cases. And, if I'm following, although many things have been tried and suggested, this is one that hasn't actually been tried yet.

So - not to be inflammatory - I just don't think what you've said is very accurate. If this offends, I apologize, in advance - not the intent.

You could certainly try going through the exact steps again, no doubt. I'd leave that up to Joker.

Hi Over50....I am still keeping in the loop here because now this is an exercise for my mind more than anything else. You made a good point where I will try an uninstall of OFF and re-install.....Like Tamper said, first removing the uisel file won't do anything because it will just cause me to re-install anyhow. Now if I do the re-install and it works, that should tell us something. It is an interesting prospect though. In the meantime, I am making slow tweaks to the BIOS with some help.

I looked at the CFS3 disk and it has some soft scratches on it so don't know if that is an issue. When I installed CFS3 though, no errors were indicated.

Hi Over50....I am still keeping in the loop here because now this is an exercise for my mind more than anything else. You made a good point where I will try an uninstall of OFF and re-install.....Like Tamper said, first removing the uisel file won't do anything because it will just cause me to re-install anyhow. Now if I do the re-install and it works, that should tell us something. It is an interesting prospect though. In the meantime, I am making slow tweaks to the BIOS with some help.

I looked at the CFS3 disk and it has some soft scratches on it so don't know if that is an issue. When I installed CFS3 though, no errors were indicated.

Considering what you've already spent on memory, etc., for another $10 plus shipping you can get a new CFS3 copy from Amazon to put that concern/possibility to bed. Again, you've demonstrated nearly boundless patience with this (3 month) exercise in futility as it is. My earlier post referencing the numerous suggestions to date ranging to the extreme - none of which have identified your problem - reflects the limits of my tolerance were it me. While well intentioned, the term "over engineered" comes to mind with some suggestions, when in reality most computer software/hardware problems once resolved turn out to be pretty basic. The farther out the suggestions become the greater the chance up creating problems that didn't exist before. But all said and done, it IS your situation to deal with and not my opinion that matters.

Edited by Over50

PJ,

Wipe it all out--OFF, CFS3, hidden files--everything. Restart computer. Run a disk clean up program like CCleaner to get rid of invalid links, old shortcuts, invalid dll files, etc. NEXT, run scandisk to check for errors and defrag your hard drive. Restart your computer. NOW, either start in safe mode or boot as usual and run EnditAll or AlacrityPC to terminate as many programs as possible. BE SURE your antivirus is NOT running. NOW reinstall OFF (place OFF disk in first. You will get a message if it wants you to install CFS3 first). Finish installation and restart computer. Before starting OFF, stop all unnecessary programs using EnditAll or AlacrityPC. Go to Workshop and adjust graphic settings. Then try a QC mission.

Yep, I agree....It is my level of patience that is allowing me to do this. Maybe because it is a release from the work day,that is the only reason I hang on with this. Othewise, I would have already filled the OFF disk with 9mm hollow point rounds! Hey your opinion is valued my friend as much as all the others. I appreciate it.Tonight I:

uninstalled, re-installed, patched and restarted between each step and installed to the default C: drive instead of my usual D: Drive, and used disk 1 of CFS3 instead of disk 2. This, trying to change it up a little. No JOY. Locked right up. My game plan is now:

1.) Mess a little more with the BIOS

2.) Buy the doggone new graphics card

3.) Re-install the operating system

in that order.

Good luck, Sir. Keep us informed. With any luck, your saga will become as famous as that Beowulf fellow! :biggrin:

Good luck, Sir. Keep us informed. With any luck, your saga will become as famous as that Beowulf fellow! :biggrin:

Well my friends. THE LONG SAGA IS OVER! I am flying OFF with no problems..It only took 4.5 months of effort, endless help by the folks here, and about $500 on my part. I am holding the solution till the last so you all will have to be patient. First off, I cannot thank all of you enough for your tolerance, helpful suggestions and more. I have had people here email me, send me utilities, test graphic cards on their own machines and alter my BIOS.

Here is what finally fixed it:

I have no idea why but OFF did not like my eVGA 7800GT graphic cards either running in SLI or alone. I picked up a new LCD monitor and an eVGA 280GTX card and my problems went away. It is still a mystery though because those 7800GT cards are operating fine and work fine in all other sims. Oh and BTW, true to my luck, the first 280GTX card that came in was dead on arrival...sigh....But the replacement is working fine.

Thanks again folks..I hope to see you on a multiplayer night.....I might even let you shoot me down because of your kindness......NAH!!!!!! hahahha.

JOKER

Well my friends. THE LONG SAGA IS OVER! I am flying OFF with no problems..It only took 4.5 months of effort, endless help by the folks here, and about $500 on my part. I am holding the solution till the last so you all will have to be patient. First off, I cannot thank all of you enough for your tolerance, helpful suggestions and more. I have had people here email me, send me utilities, test graphic cards on their own machines and alter my BIOS.

Here is what finally fixed it:

I have no idea why but OFF did not like my eVGA 7800GT graphic cards either running in SLI or alone. I picked up a new LCD monitor and an eVGA 280GTX card and my problems went away. It is still a mystery though because those 7800GT cards are operating fine and work fine in all other sims. Oh and BTW, true to my luck, the first 280GTX card that came in was dead on arrival...sigh....But the replacement is working fine.

Thanks again folks..I hope to see you on a multiplayer night.....I might even let you shoot me down because of your kindness......NAH!!!!!! hahahha.

JOKER

YEA!!! :clapping:

good time to start...75.67.5.13 (games ip)

Hey Sitting Duck...Doggone...I just read this or I would have been in your game..Hey Boston eh? I am in Massachusetts too, just outside of Providence.

Congratulations, Joker! Computers are mysterious creatures aren't they, sort of like women! :grin: My apologies, Womanfly2!

hmm,,,last time i checked,,,thought providence was in ri?

lol...anyways,,i put up mp games alot. sometimes there are players,,sometimes there arnt.

always post the fact that game is up in mp section of the forum. If you can get a hold of a mic, and teamspeak it always helps.

walmart still has a pretty nice combo headphone/mic for 18.00.

hmm,,,last time i checked,,,thought providence was in ri?

lol...anyways,,i put up mp games alot. sometimes there are players,,sometimes there arnt.

always post the fact that game is up in mp section of the forum. If you can get a hold of a mic, and teamspeak it always helps.

walmart still has a pretty nice combo headphone/mic for 18.00.

Sitting Duck....I am in don't laugh, SEEKONK, MA...but it is really 10 minutes outside of Providence RHODE ISLAND. Seriously it is that close to another State....wanna check my work out:

www.sjbaraophoto.com

www.powmiafilm.com

That's what keeps me busy! LETS FLY!

lol..coulda been worse,,,i guessed swansea

Ah Swansea...Know Boston well though...my #1 son graduated Berklee!

Just started adjusting the tweaks to improve smoothness as per the suggestions on the forums...After I did that, I started a game but it would not load, kept coming back to the same screen over and over. Put my settings back to defaults and all was fine again. Starting to get into it to fine tune now.

Well done Joker you deserve a medal for persevering hope you win some in OFF now ;)

We did suspect the video card a while back. It could even be down to a bug with the particular version of that BIOS in the 7800 card itself for example, some command that other sims don't call or whatever, who knows but glad you are running !

:smile:

Well done Joker you deserve a medal for persevering hope you win some in OFF now ;)

We did suspect the video card a while back. It could even be down to a bug with the particular version of that BIOS in the 7800 card itself for example, some command that other sims don't call or whatever, who knows but glad you are running !

:smile:

Thanks Pol. It is a great sim with beautiful graphics!

:)