Sign in to follow this  
MK2

OT: Dawn Patrol (TSR) Miniatures campaign pictures

Just updated the thread with lots of pictures and info.

Enjoy!

Just updated the thread with lots of pictures and info.

Enjoy!

Just a bump for those interested. Thread updated tonight with new pics. enjoy!

Thats awesome MK2. I just have one question....can I play? lol. Keep posting them pics. Looks like tons of fun.

-Rooster

Pretty cool! When I was about 12, I bought the old Avalon Hill game "Richtofen's War". Similar idea, hex board, turn based, dice, the whole nine yards. But at 12 I couldn't understand the reason the Camel and Dr.1 used more movement points to turn one direction over the other. 12 year olds don't understand the physics of torque, I guess. I still have it in my basement at age 40-something - just couldn't bear to throw it away.

richwar2.jpg

Pretty cool! When I was about 12, I bought the old Avalon Hill game "Richtofen's War". Similar idea, hex board, turn based, dice, the whole nine yards. But at 12 I couldn't understand the reason the Camel and Dr.1 used more movement points to turn one direction over the other. 12 year olds don't understand the physics of torque, I guess. I still have it in my basement at age 40-something - just couldn't bear to throw it away.

richwar2.jpg

Yes I have Richtofen's war!

Don't throw that away ever! There are many people that would buy it on eBay etc. if it ever came to that.

There have been many, many WW1 aerial combat games over the years but I keep coming back to Dawn patrol by TSR...it's just a magical game...it's so much fun.

Great Gaming room, and the minatures and board look fantastic.

Cheers Markl

That is fantastic! My wife would quite upset if I tried something like that. She just will not accept that grown men still have a lot of little boy in them.

WOWWWWWWWWWW!!! MK2

That is extremely impressive!!!!! What a fantastic deal you got going on there. Recognized

many of the background wargame titles to. You look like the complete wargame hobbiest.

Thank you for sharing.

Buckner :)

Thank you for the feedback!.... but you have to see the latest set of pictures I just posted.

UPDATE: double balloon hunting mission with randon 2 seaters...quite a show.

enjoy th pics!

Gosh, when I was a kid, I had a copy of Avalon Hill's, Richthofen's War. I wonder how much that goes for on ebay these days?

Great stuff MK2 :good:

We did very much the same thing many years ago with a game called "Fight in the Skies" we used 1/72 scale airfix model aircraft on a home made 6ft by 12ft table , great times indeed , thankyou for the thread and pictures .

cheers

Wow, this is great stuff MK2. I love the board and the planes. What are they 1/72 scale models? You did an outstanding job on this, and it looks like a lot of fun. :)

That is fantastic! My wife would quite upset if I tried something like that. She just will not accept that grown men still have a lot of little boy in them.

LOL!... I told my wife, that my mid-life crisis will take me back to being 12, 13.. at most 14? Who wants to be 20something again... worried about what I look like, my hair, wasting untold thousands at bars drinking bad drinks... nah... I'd rather be a kid again, it's more fun!! :clapping::good:

Great stuff MK2 :good:

We did very much the same thing many years ago with a game called "Fight in the Skies" we used 1/72 scale airfix model aircraft on a home made 6ft by 12ft table , great times indeed , thankyou for the thread and pictures .

cheers

Fight in the skies is the same game as Dawn Patrol (it use to be called fight in the skies, the named changed when Avalon Hill published the game).

Dawn Patrol is currently in it's seventh edition. It was last printed in the 1980s.

You can get a copy from eBay if your pateint for a few weeks. The 8th edition has been rumored to be due out for the last few years but the creator of game (Mike Carr) has had some difficulties getting it published.

It's an incredibly fun WW1 flying role playing game. Even if you do not use fancy models and terrain, you can use the cut out counters and flat map (that are included) and it's a blast to play.

Richthofen's War; -man, I loved that game. I still have my copy too - maybe two actually. That and about 60-70 other war strategy games. LOL. But RW was the first, and started my interest in war gaming, and most especially in WWI history/air combat. ... long time ago...

That brings back a lot of memories, my friends and I would play Dawn Patrol for hours and days on end. One of the better air war type board games, and I still dig it out every now and then. The name escapes me, sumtimers disease I suppose.. there used to be a book form of a WW1 game, each plane ie DH2 VS Fokker EIII for the early years. That was also a blast to play. Still have them as well packed away some where.

When I lived in barracks about a dozen of use used to play Risk using 5-6 boards and each game would take a week or better to finish. Kind of an interplanetary Risk game rules were created to allow transport of reinforcement from one board to another, good times and killed many a case of refreshments LOL.

That brings back a lot of memories, my friends and I would play Dawn Patrol for hours and days on end. One of the better air war type board games, and I still dig it out every now and then. The name escapes me, sumtimers disease I suppose.. there used to be a book form of a WW1 game, each plane ie DH2 VS Fokker EIII for the early years. That was also a blast to play. Still have them as well packed away some where.

When I lived in barracks about a dozen of use used to play Risk using 5-6 boards and each game would take a week or better to finish. Kind of an interplanetary Risk game rules were created to allow transport of reinforcement from one board to another, good times and killed many a case of refreshments LOL.

The game system (book form one you mention ) is "Ace of Aces". They also had WW2 version and even a Jet version that came in a blue box called "Ace of Aces Jet Eagles".