Sign in to follow this  
sitting_duck

recommendations for ati

new system.....e8500 @ 3.16, 8gig ram,,,,ati4870

just messing around have settings at 1600 by 1200 and sliders at 5-5-5-5-4 (thats up from 5-2-2-1-1 on the old one)

but would like to know what ppl think i should do in the catalyst control center,,,and bout all i know to ask right now..is that if i let the application set the antialisiang,,,what should i set it to in the config file,,,,,think its on 2 now..(or should i set it in the control center...)

is there a place for fsaa settings?

want the maximum amount of quality, before the tradeoff in performance degrades the game play

thanks......

new system.....e8500 @ 3.16, 8gig ram,,,,ati4870

just messing around have settings at 1600 by 1200 and sliders at 5-5-5-5-4 (thats up from 5-2-2-1-1 on the old one)

but would like to know what ppl think i should do in the catalyst control center,,,and bout all i know to ask right now..is that if i let the application set the antialisiang,,,what should i set it to in the config file,,,,,think its on 2 now..(or should i set it in the control center...)

is there a place for fsaa settings?

want the maximum amount of quality, before the tradeoff in performance degrades the game play

thanks......

Sitting Duck,

I've played around a lot with the Catalyst 9.2 settings but have a lower end PC than yours (FYI, I'm running BHaH on a 939 socket machine running at 3.0 GHz with 2GB DDR550 memory, XP SP3, and a 512MB HD4870 @ 1600X1024 with Sliders @ 3-5-3-2-2-1). I'm getting FPS of 30-40 in furrballs with 10 planes.

I found that it's best to turn off most Catalyst features and let the game graphics do their work. When I've tried to use Catalyst to improve graphics performance, I've ended up with some oddities, most noticeable one being planes at a distance lack definition, almost like they are stick figures.

Here are my Catalyst settings

1. SMOOTHVision HD Anti-aliasing - check "Use Application Settings"

2. SMOOTHVision HD Anisotropic Filtering - check "Use Application Settings"

3. Catalyst A.I. - check "Disable"

4. Mipmap Detail Level - slider at "Performance"

5. Wait for Vertical Refresh - "Always On" (this doesn't seem to make much difference, but may reduce graphics tearing, especially when using TIR

6. Adaptive Anti-Aliasing - leave "Enable Adaptive Anti-Aliasing" unchecked

7. OpenGL settings - check "Triple Buffering" (doesn't seem to make much difference on or off)

Within CFS3Config, Set Anti-Aliasing to "8 samples"

I've had good luck with these settings, but my CPU and memory are choking my GPU.

For a good read on the functions of Catalyst Control Panel, try this: http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html

thanks for the repies

im pretty sure thats where i have ended up to,,,with the exception of triple buffering,

lol..and uncleal,,,yeah,,,i knew i was kinda stretching it,,,but had to at least try......(was getting alot of micro stutters)

Sitting Duck,

I've tried some new settings that work better, utilizing 9.2 Catalyst controls instead of in-game controls. Frankly, finding the right combination of settings is tedious. The problem is, every game handles transparencies differently, and without knowing how BHaH handles them, finding the best settings is a trial and error process.

I spent many hours trying to clear up "shimmering" of landscapes at low altitudes. I assumed that it was caused by either (1) mipmap detail level too high or (2) Catalyst A.I., but finally cleared it up by using high AF settings.

My current Catalyst settings:

1. SMOOTHVision HD Anti-aliasing - uncheck "Use Application Settings" and choose "4X Level" and "Edge Detect" This seems to give the right amount of AA without a performance hit.

2. SMOOTHVision HD Anisotropic Filtering - uncheck "Use Application Settings" and set Per Pixel Samples slider to "16"

"3. Catalyst A.I. - check "Disable" (BTW, the wrong Catalyst A.I. setting can play hell with some older flight sims, e.g., if using "Perfect" landscape settings in IL2, Catalyst A.I. MUST be set to "Standard")

4. Mipmap Detail Level - slider at "Performance"

5. Wait for Vertical Refresh - "Always On" (this doesn't seem to make much difference, but may reduce graphics tearing, especially when using TIR

6. Adaptive Anti-Aliasing - leave "Enable Adaptive Anti-Aliasing" unchecked

7. OpenGL settings - check "Triple Buffering" (doesn't seem to make much difference on or off)

Within CFS3Config, Set Anti-Aliasing to "Off"

I've had a minor FPS hit on these settings, but looks MUCH better, and reduced stutters. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Cheers.

thanks alot,,,will try them out...

and uncleal,,,could be wrong,,,but swear ive seen that pic somewhere else,,,,just cant place it.........................

hey,,,,would be unproductive to just go in and make a slew of changes all at once,,,,,,,

so,,,your best guess,,,,in which order should i apply the settings,,,,trying each one out in the game before going on to the next

i realise that some of them work better combined with other settings..

hey,,,,would be unproductive to just go in and make a slew of changes all at once,,,,,,,

so,,,your best guess,,,,in which order should i apply the settings,,,,trying each one out in the game before going on to the next

i realise that some of them work better combined with other settings..

Sitting Duck,

Keep in mind that I'm trying different combinations to maximum the performance of a CPU/memory constrained system. Based on my experience, though, I would suggest:

1. Start with the level of AA and AF desired. 4X Edge AA eliminates edges on planes, and AF sharpens textures as they fade into the distance and removes shimmering of landscape. You can try maxing these settings out and see what impact it has on FPS.

2. Keep Mipmap level at "Performance"

3. Add Catalyst A.I. support (using Standard or more aggressive Advanced setting). This does seem to improve overall quality, especially smoke, haze, fog, etc. I haven't had any problems with Catalyst A.I., other than reduced FPS.

4. Add Adaptive Anti-Aliasing (Quality looks better than Performance). This will "fill in" edges of some textures, and generally improves the look of polygon-based objects like buildings and planes. Adaptive Antialiasing isn't a big resource hog, but I'd turn it if FPS suffers significantly.

5. Seting Wait for Vertical Refresh to "on" appears to reduce tearing

6. OpenGL Triple Buffering doesn't seem to do much of anything.

Without knowing how textures are rendered in the game, the above is based solely on my experience. As you increase the GPU's workload, with Catalyst A.I. and/or Adaptive Antialiasing, you may need to reduce your graphics sliders in the game.

Cheers

Thanks, BirdDog, for your ATI advice. I used it, and the most noticable result was,

that my TrackIR looking-around was much faster now! I think, I can shape back the performance curves a bit now.

Had chosen "combat view", and "aggressive", but since that was still too slow, I had shaped the curves high up at the ends,

so the rear view comes faster. Now I can tune it back a bit. Thank you.

Thanks, BirdDog, for your ATI advice. I used it, and the most noticable result was,

that my TrackIR looking-around was much faster now! I think, I can shape back the performance curves a bit now.

Had chosen "combat view", and "aggressive", but since that was still too slow, I had shaped the curves high up at the ends,

so the rear view comes faster. Now I can tune it back a bit. Thank you.

Olham,

Glad to hear that...I'll need your advice in a few weeks when I set up my Track IR.

Cheers

Sitting Duck,

I forgot to mention it, but the CFS3Config override settings helped to eliminated stutters and maximize my FPS, especially with Catalyst A.I. and Adaptive AA on the highest settings. Those ovverride settings can be found here http://www.overflandersfields.com/Tips.htm (Thanks to Polovski, LeBlaque and Redwolf). Also, I'm using MAXFPS=40 in CFS.xml.

Cheers

have been wondering forra while why fps seems to be an issue in alot of posts.

I did have the tweaks guide (but thanks), along with a couple others from the cfs3 game, and if you notice, there is a tweak for frame rate caps in both game play and mp games. In both instances, they recommend somewhere around 30 fps. And in off2 (assume it stuck with off3), it has always been recommend to run at the hightest resolution possible, just to keep the fps down, which in turn would improve game play.

i realise that parts now are far better than what was available when some of these tweaks came out....

just seems that maybe maximizing fps should not be a major concern in this game,,,,,and/or if i should be trying to keep my fps down to the 30-40 level that all the tweaks recommend.

lol..forgot to ask,,,there is a filter on the aa setting,,,box,,tent,,, any idea what that does,,,and what i should set it to?

Edited by sitting_duck

have been wondering forra while why fps seems to be an issue in alot of posts.

I did have the tweaks guide (but thanks), along with a couple others from the cfs3 game, and if you notice, there is a tweak for frame rate caps in both game play and mp games. In both instances, they recommend somewhere around 30 fps. And in off2 (assume it stuck with off3), it has always been recommend to run at the hightest resolution possible, just to keep the fps down, which in turn would improve game play.

i realise that parts now are far better than what was available when some of these tweaks came out....

just seems that maybe maximizing fps should not be a major concern in this game,,,,,and/or if i should be trying to keep my fps down to the 30-40 level that all the tweaks recommend.

lol..forgot to ask,,,there is a filter on the aa setting,,,box,,tent,,, any idea what that does,,,and what i should set it to?

Sitting Duck,

Thanks for asking some good questions about ATI setups...it forced me to try a few new things. Like you said, when configuring graphics cards, there are a lot of buttons to push, and it's not always clear what impact each one or combination of them will have. Several days ago, my BHaH setup was very cranky (probably my fault) and I was just about to order parts for a new PC, mostly due to stuttering. I have to laugh at some of the posts complaining of low FPS, when in fact, FPS of 25-30 is perfectly acceptable. It's stuttering that's the major immersion killer, and s-s-s-stuttering was one of the major problems with CFS3 when it came out, especially on the PCs of the time. When I started playing Phase 2 and CFS3 several months ago on a newer machine, I had no problems with stuttering at all, but BHaH is a whole different animal, and I was disappointed that my 3GHz machine was choking. But I was willing to invest the time to fix the problem even if it required an investment of $1200 on new components.

One of my mistakes was to ignore the recommended CFS3Config Overrides and Texture Info settings for ATI cards (Those recommendation were supposed to fix low FPS, but I wasn't having a low FPS problem, my problem was stuttering). Anyway, last night I added Catalyst A.I. on "Advanced" and Adaptive AA on "Quality", and everything looked great on low slider settings, but I was still having serious stutters. But then I set the recommended overrides and texture info, and the game was smooth as a baby's bottom, with 30-60 FPS (26 avg) in 10 plane furrballs right above the airfield at 1600X1200 resolution and 3-4-3-3-4-1 sliders. My frame rate cap is now set to 60 (Note: the one override that I did NOT apply was "Disable Terrain Texture Ring Blend").

To answer your other question, I use Edge filtering. See the following discussion as to why:

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html...oZW50aHVzaWFzdA== "The Edge-detect CFAA filter is unique because it uses the stream processors to carry out its workload, and does not consume memory bandwidth or memory space. The filter uses an edge detect algorithm that delivers 12X and 24X CFAA modes with the same memory footprint as 4X AA and 8X AA respectively." The article goes on to say that one shoudln't use Narrow-Tent or Wide-Tent due to blurring, and I found this to be true in BHaH.

Bottom line is to use Edge detect. It looks the best and causes the least reduction in FPS.

Cheers

Sitting Duck,

My system is similar to yours:

Windows XP, SP3 w/ 4GB RAM

Intel Core2Duo E8500 Wolfdale @ 3.16GHz (each cpu)

ATI Radeon HD 4830 w/ 1GB

Seagate 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive

I run P3 with TrackIR, have a Logitech Force 3D Pro stick. I'm getting fps in the 30s & 40s, say an average of 40 but lower (low 30s) at the airfield or near the ground, higher (high 40s) at higher altitudes, say 4K' or above.

My current CFS3Config settings:

Monitor to higherst possible resolution, in my case 1680x1050x32

Anti-Aliasing set to "none"

Graphics sliders at 5-5-4-4-5-3

CFS3Config OVERIDES (ticked boxes):

Disable Intro Movie

High Resolution Z-Buffer

Terrain Detail Texture

Disable Vertex Buffers

Disable Index Buffers

Disable Validate Device

Disable Write-Only Vertex Buffers

Disable Write-Only Index Buffers

Disable In Cloud Effect

CFS3Config TEXTURE INFO (radio button settings):

Composite Terrain Texture Pool = D3DPOOL_MANAGED

Composite Terrain Texture Usage = D3DUSAGE_RENDERTARGET

Composite Aircraft Texture Pool = D3DPOOL_MANAGED

Composite Aircraft Texture Usage = D3DUSAGE_RENDERTARGET

Vertex Buffer Pool = D3DPOOL_MANAGED

Index Buffer Pool = D3DPOOL_DEFAULT

Fullscreen Swap Effect = D3DSWAPEFFECTFLIP

(note: I did not change any of the sliders from their defaults, can list them, too if desired)

My ATI Catalyst Control Center Settings:

In the "Graphics Settings" tab, with "3D" expanded and "All Settings" selected, in the "Smoothvision HD: Anti-Aliasing" pane, I unticked "Use application settings", chose "Edge-detect" from the pull-down options in the "Filter" box, and set "Level" to "4x", yielding a sample rate of "12x";

Also in the "Graphics Settings" tab, with "3D" expanded and "All Settings" selected, in the "Smoothvision HD: Anisotropic filtering" pane I again unticked "Use application settings" and set AF to "8x";

Going down the "All Settings" list to the "Catalyst A.I." pane I left "Disable Catalyst A.I." unticked and set the slider to "Standard";

In the "Mipmap Detail Level" pane I set the slider to "High Quality";

In the "Wait for vertical refresh" pane I set the slider to "Off, unless application specifies";

In the "Adaptive Anti-Aliasing" pane I left the "Enable Adaptive Anti-Aliasing" box unticked.

That's all I did in Catalyst. Note that I get my AA & AF effects through the CCC, rather than from within the game.

Sorry for the length of the post. I suspect that results may vary for different folks; even the hard drive speed may affect things I think.

Note that I did not turn off messages notifications as mentioned by Trek; I tried it and got no appreciable increase in frame rates; go figure...

Interlocutor,

Thanks for joining the discussion. Overall, it looks like our settings are pretty similar.

You're absolutely right about different rigs getting different results. For example, turning off messages made a BIG difference for me. I also didn't find the mipmap detail level to make much difference.

I'm getting Track IR in a few weeks. My understanding is that setting Wait for Vertical Refresh reduces graphics tearing when using Track IR. Have you found that to be the case?

Also, FRAPS shows my FPS to be 16-57 (avg 28) from sitting on the airfield to fighting in a 10 plane furrball.

Cheers

lol...interlocer,,,are you the one i dropped off the off2 disk for????

well,,if so,,,glad to see you sprung for off3....when you going to join us for mp????

slowly but surly a group of us are getting some really good mp missions in,,,,if you get a change go to doves and hawks site and join up......you will LOVE the global layer file stumpjumper has made up....flying in the alps is great...

http://www.freewebs.com/dovesandhawks/index.htm

but anyways...back to video cards (where did i put my tylenol....)

thru me on the edge setting,,,,i had started making changes slow...and only did aa at 2x,,,which only give you box and the 2 tent settings,,,,but figured out when you go to 4 it adds the edge..

i suppose if anyone setting is important to me,,,its antialiasing,,,i want my wires to be perfectly straigt as much as possible...

the af setting (also now at 2x,,,,,if the other settings dont start to degrade will change that) made a big improvment on the scenery shimmering,,just like you said

stll getting a bit of tear at the edge of the screen with the track ir,,,and have vsync always on,,,,,,

and,,,another question i could pose,,,,,is it better to start with sliders high,,,and try and work contol center settings so that the game plays ok...or do you think its better to start with sliders medium,,,,work the contol center,,and then start moving up the sliders..

going to be hard to talk me outta getting planes off 5,,,,thats where i want the best detail possible..

i suppose if anyone setting is important to me,,,its antialiasing,,,i want my wires to be perfectly straigt as much as possible...

the af setting (also now at 2x,,,,,if the other settings dont start to degrade will change that) made a big improvment on the scenery shimmering,,just like you said

stll getting a bit of tear at the edge of the screen with the track ir,,,and have vsync always on,,,,,,

and,,,another question i could pose,,,,,is it better to start with sliders high,,,and try and work contol center settings so that the game plays ok...or do you think its better to start with sliders medium,,,,work the contol center,,and then start moving up the sliders..

going to be hard to talk me outta getting planes off 5,,,,thats where i want the best detail possible..

Sitting Duck,

I agree that AA is the most important for straight wires and clean plane edges. I believe that Adaptive AA helps improve plane details at a distance, as well. I think the planes look great at 4 with Catalyst A.I and Adaptive AA on.

I would kick up my AF settings a little more..mine's at 4X and shimmering is gone.

As for tearing, I used that term incorrectly. Tearing usually refers to the onscreen image appearing to be slightly out of alignment or 'torn' in parts due to overlapping portions of new and old frames. I haven't experienced any tearing, but have experienced blank jagged polygons on the bottom corners of the screen when changing hat views. Reducing my terrain and scenery sliders fixed the problem.

If you're seeing actual tearing, the general rule of thumb is to turn on Vertical Syncit, although this usually reduces FPS. In Direct3D games, Direct3D Triple Buffering can reduce the FPS hit, but Catalyst Control does NOT have Direct3D Triple Buffering, it's OpenGL Triple Buffering. To confuse the issue, the BHaH ATI Graphics FAQ suggests that both Vertical Sync and OpenGL Triple Buffering on...)

I wish I had more detail about the impact of each of the gamesliders. It appears to me that scenery and clouds have the most impact on performance. I started with sliders at 4, set my Catalyst controls for the best looks, and then lowered them until I got the best performance. There's no shame in reducing your sliders to improve performance/reduce anomalies. LOL I think my game looks absolutely great at 343332. As the developers have pointed out, no machine can run scenery at 5, that's for the future.

Cheers

yeah,,i think i used the wrong term too,,,

when i look quick to the right or left,,with trackir, the edge of the screen give me a flash of small white triangles...not sure what the correct term for that is..

will give each setting a couple days worth of flying before i go onto the next,,

Interlocutor,

I'm getting Track IR in a few weeks. My understanding is that setting Wait for Vertical Refresh reduces graphics tearing when using Track IR. Have you found that to be the case?

BirdDog,

To be honest, I've found all the graphics options to be something of a "seven, plus or minus two" situation (someone once said that the human mind can only keep "seven, plus or minus two" concepts in play at once :blink: ). What happened to me was that I got OFF3, my new PC and TrackIR at about the same time. Once I had it all set up & running, my FPS seemed low to me (20's & 30's), so I read various threads about tweaking frame rates via altered graphics settings, and also went out to the web & read up on ATI's Catalyst Control Center settings. From all that I made the adjustments listed in my post above. That gave me good graphics and decent frame rates, so I just went with it.

So I haven't actually tinkered that much. I suspect I just hit a lucky combo of settings early on. Either that, or else I have lower standards than others in terms of what I find acceptable :biggrin: . I can't be sure. But I get no tearing of edges, and everything looks good to me!

well,,if so,,,glad to see you sprung for off3....when you going to join us for mp????

Hi Sitting Duck,

Yup, that was me :biggrin: . It has all led me to get a new PC and TIR as well.

I'm working my way toward MP someday I think. My goal right now is to get a pilot to survive for 17 campaign hours; if I can't do that against the AI, I figure I wouldn'y be much use to any human wingmen :wink: .

My best survival time so far is 16.92 hours; one of my AI wingmen crashed into me & killed me to end that campaign :dntknw: ,,,

Interlocutor,

Yep, 7 +/- 2 is a well established principle of human short term memory...that's why telephone numbers are 7 numbers, in the U.S. at least. Some of our overseas OFF developers may be able to remember 8 or even 9 numbers. :wink: They sure have done a fantastic job on Phase 3.

I did the same re: reading up on ATI cards and crivers, reading threads and FAQs, but had a buggy driver installation, and none of the tweaks I made seemed to make any difference in improving graphics quality. I tend to tweak things too much, so much so, that one of my PC support staff accused me of not being able to tolerate having a stable PC. :haha: I finally started over with a clean driver installation, followed by clean CFS3and BHaH installations, as well. I can now hold off on upgrading my PC for a while, but can't wait for Track IR.

Anyone needing help with ATI graphics would do well to duplicate your settings. I've tried them, and they work fine for me, too.

Cheers

yeah,,its funny how some of us, no matter how well things are running, still have to turn, twist, and push things,,,ususllay to the point where we screw things up, and end up wishing we had just left everything alone...

but,,i guess thats just a part of human nature..

let me see if i have this right thou,,,,

the sliders will contol the AMOUNT of detal you see, and really dont have much to do with the quality of that detail...

the cc settings will control the quality of that detail...

and,,,to carry just a bit forward,,,moving scenery/terrain from 1 to 2,,,or 2 to 3 is a vast improvement,,,,but,,,it seems to tapper off alot going from 3 to 4,,,or from 4 to 5

has anyone really noticed what the differnces in either scenery or terrain is ,,,,when going from 4 to 5?...or,,,do you hae to have your cc settings really up there,,,to notice the difference..

yeah,,its funny how some of us, no matter how well things are running, still have to turn, twist, and push things,,,ususllay to the point where we screw things up, and end up wishing we had just left everything alone...

but,,i guess thats just a part of human nature..

let me see if i have this right thou,,,,

the sliders will contol the AMOUNT of detal you see, and really dont have much to do with the quality of that detail...

the cc settings will control the quality of that detail...

and,,,to carry just a bit forward,,,moving scenery/terrain from 1 to 2,,,or 2 to 3 is a vast improvement,,,,but,,,it seems to tapper off alot going from 3 to 4,,,or from 4 to 5

has anyone really noticed what the differnces in either scenery or terrain is ,,,,when going from 4 to 5?...or,,,do you hae to have your cc settings really up there,,,to notice the difference..

Sitting Duck,

My impression is that the sliders work as you've described. As far as I can tell, increasing the sliders increases the amount of detail, i.e. more data for your CPU and GPU to handle. I don't know if it's linear, but I haven't noticed much difference once I'm past 3 or 4, although I get a significant drop in FPS. If I max all sliders at 5, FPS drops to around 10.

I've had an annoying getting the AA and AF to work consistently. One day they work gret, the next day they don't. It doesn't matter which version of Catalyst drivers I use. I'm beginning to wonder if my PSU is hefty enough for this 4870. But I'm done tweaking BHaH...I can't improve much on a nearly flawless product. Even with AA and AF turned off, it looks great. I decided to load up my old RB3D Full Canvas Jacket today, and couldn't believe how ugly it was by comparison. BHaH really spoils you. I haven't touched my other sims in a month.

Cheers

Sitting Duck,

Yes, I think you've got it right. For my part, I've had my CFS3Config slider settings where they are right from the get-go, so I've never observed differences from lower settings.

Interlocutor, Sitting Duck et. al,

Sorry to keep beating the same old tired (almost dead) horse, but thought I'd share something interesting. Since getting BHaH, I've been running at 1600X1024, the native resolution of my monitor, and have done all of my tweaks on that resolution. But I've had trouble with AA and AF being consistent from day to day...one day it's fine, the next it's not. I can tolerate the jaggies and shimmering when it's in the landscape, but the planes just didn't look as good as they should. I've tried many combinations of sliders, Catalyst settings, CFS3Config overrides, etc., to no avail. It's been a little frustrating, because I've built PCs for 20 years and know my way around them pretty well.

Just on the off chance that it was a resolution problem, I lowered my resolution to 1360X1024, and I can now max out my Catalyst Settings (along with all of the recommended CFS3Config overrides), run sliders of 454444 and get a decent FPS (AVG 25). EVERYTHING LOOKS ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC NOW!! I'll probably reduce my sliders somewhat to improve gameplay, but this goes against the FAQ advice of using the highest resolution you can.

I need to do some more research as to why, but my unique combination of CPU, memory, GPU, and monitor resulted in one resolution that didn't work, and that's the one I've been sticking with from the beginning. I'm sharing this in case someone else has the same problem.

Cheers

hey,,its a video card,,,no way you can beat that topic to death...

glad you asked first,,,cause i was going to get to screen resolution eventually...

im at 1600 by 1200,,,,and not sure when i should start considering going up or down,,,,so ill let you do the legwork,,,and post what u find here..

and also,,,,did read interlocers post with config settings,,but skimmed over the settings only cause they for the most part are pretty standard,,,,,but was rereading all the posts the other day,,,and noticed a couple settings he has are different from what ive seen in the majority of the posts

i have vertex buffer pool..default

index buffer pool managed

full screen swap effect discard...

http://www.combatfs.com/index.php?&loc...page=cfs3_tweak

this is where i got that from

know all these settings are not etched in stone,,,just thout i should throw it out

and,,,although i am letting cc control my aa and af,,,,,where do you set af in off3?