Sign in to follow this  
Winston DoRight

Patch 1.26 observations and comments

After a few campaign sorties in 1917 flying for Lafayette Escadrille in a Nieuport 17, I'm noticing definate enemy kills now instead of the "long, slow gradual decent". A lot of the Albatros DV's and DIII's I've shot down go into a snap/spiral and you know they are definately going to crash. I've even blown off a wing or two which is something that wasn't happening before.

My ammo lasts longer because I'm not pouring extra rounds into planes now. Before you couldn't tell when enough was enough. I can stay and fight longer now with more ammo and that means more kills and fewer downed wingmen.

It seems that the damage I do to enemy planes now more closely resembles the damage I receive when I'm hit. I like patch 1.26 . This just keeps getting better and better!

Edited by Winston DoRight

I like most of the changes. The enemy ai can roll faster. :good: Some planes have a lot more pep. :clapping: It seems too easy when I down a machine. I like to flame machines. The enemy falls like a stone anytime I put 50 or more rounds in. I can't manage to flame the buggers anymore! :dntknw: I liked it better when I could empty my spandaus into the engine and see a pretty fire ball....that said I like just about everything else.

All the best,

MJ

am on new computer, so not sure if it just better hardware sound, but the sound effects seem to be vastly improved......i can hear wind on the wings when i stall,,and have never heard enemy engines noise so well......

am on new computer, so not sure if it just better hardware sound, but the sound effects seem to be vastly improved......i can hear wind on the wings when i stall,,and have never heard enemy engines noise so well......

Great point about the wind. I always thought the wind should be more noticable. I will pay more attention to the sound changes now. I would not mind if the wind was more noticable than it is now....especially in a dive. :yes:

-MJ

Great point about the wind. I always thought the wind should be more noticable. I will pay more attention to the sound changes now. I would not mind if the wind was more noticable than it is now....especially in a dive. :yes:

-MJ

I should add that I am greatly impressed aboutt he OBD team spending so much time tweeking OFF for us...... now about the machines falling at the first bullet....lol A damn great sim over all though.

Thank you all for the effort,

MJ

Great patch! :clapping:

Downed twelve 2-seaters tonite on about 5 different flights. I was able to disable the gunners on 8 of them by shooting from their blind spots - after that, it wasn't difficult to get the pilot. My previous record for getting 2-seaters was about 4 total out of about 50-60 combats with them, and most of those combats resulted in me getting the worst of it.

I also got some spinners tonite, too. Much better effect, down and out quickly as opposed to the long slow gliders. One flamer and a lot of smokers. The variety is very pleasing.

The only negative thing was my fault. I flew over my first major ground battle (after disobeying orders and leaving the flight leader) because I could see it taking place in the distance and wanted to see it close up. Yep, you guessed it - shot down by ground fire! I was so fascinated by all that was going on that I temporarily forgot my purpose for being there - too late! Great effects though!

A thousand thanks to the OFF developers - keep up the excellent work! :ok:

I noticed the pending numbers (the mysterious ones) on my claims are way down...could be coincidence.

I also downed 4 SPAD 7s in one misison but it only let me fill out claim for two (I saw the different messages that I had destroyed all 4 planes and my wingman and groundfire did not steal the kill). I also downed 2 Sopwith Camels and got no claim form. Just two wierd things after patch...could be coincidence.

I am getting a lot more kills now after 1.26 (obviously)

I certainly enjoy seeing the wings getting shot off :minigun: . Have not flamed any one yet , hope this is still possible. I most certainly noticed the differant FM for the Camel (Could be the beer but I think they changed the FM a little) So far I like it.

One thing I really hope is that the Devs can make alot of sells. The work that has gone into this MOD ( And continues) is exceptional and they should be able to reep some rewards. Devs!! Great Job all!

I certainly enjoy seeing the wings getting shot off :minigun: . Have not flamed any one yet , hope this is still possible. I most certainly noticed the differant FM for the Camel (Could be the beer but I think they changed the FM a little) So far I like it.

One thing I really hope is that the Devs can make alot of sells. The work that has gone into this MOD ( And continues) is exceptional and they should be able to reep some rewards. Devs!! Great Job all!

Guys remember if you find it too easy put the guns on hard in workshops lower right - then its as it was before - guns wise anyway.

And finally I would like to reiterate what I said on SOH - you cannot have more damage presented - like wings coming off etc without the craft going down and thus higher kill rates..... so we have now come full circle.

But you have the options to make it harder... use them!

Have fun!

WM

My first flamer!Love the Patch

Bloody hell! Now that's more like it! :good:

I ran three QCs back-to-back, nme in my Camel vs six AlbDVs at 10,000ft. First thing I noticed was the crafty buggers split up into two flights of three before we were anywhere near each other, one flight came head-on while the other went wide to flank me.

2nd) They didn't dive for the deck. This dogfight started high and went down very gradually (naturally).

3rd) Two good bursts puts them down more often than not.

4th) They seemed more aggressive and competant.

5th) I let the last one get on my tail and put a burst into me. S'trewth! That was me finished, went down out of control and hit the ground hard (but didn't die...noticed this again later, has death been disabled in QC? If so, good job).

Second or third dogfight, I didn't have to let one get me, I was got anyway. Managed to put down, but it was close.

The Albs also seem to fly faster, I wasn't catching them so easily.

All in all, first impressions, that was a bloody blast. Edge of the seat stuff. It was fast, furious and dangerous. I will NOT be engaging multiple a/c on my own in Campaign mode anymore. You take one good burst, you are toast now.

Excellent work you chaps, seriously impressed. It feels so much more authentic now. :good:

I liked it better when I could empty my spandaus into the engine and see a pretty fire ball....that said I like just about everything else.

All the best,

MJ

I think if you had asked a real WW1 pilot if he wanted to empty his spandau into one enemy , or dispose of him leaving him some ammo for other enemies, that the answer was a no brainer :)

I think he'd make do without the pretty fire=lol

As MK2 mentions,i too have shot down 3-4 E.A,but only been able to claim for 1 or 2. I wonder wether another craft from my flight is getting a shot in after my last shot.......other than that everything else is fantastically tip-top!

Whoa,

patch again ? Must be the first time i downoladed the first patch before i even had the game, and now the 6th one in a row ? Hard to keep up lol - just a question: Will applying the patch "kill" my current campaign, or pilots ?

ALready with patch 125 this is beginning to feel like the real thing. Never would have thought i'd say this but compared to the new AI the old RedBaron begins to look a bit easy !

Thanks (really !! :good: ) and greetings

Catfish

P.S. the "Thumbs -up" emoticon looks a bit depressed :haha:

Whoa,

patch again ? Must be the first time i downoladed the first patch before i even had the game, and now the 6th one in a row ? Hard to keep up lol - just a question: Will applying the patch "kill" my current campaign, or pilots ?

ALready with patch 125 this is beginning to feel like the real thing. Never would have thought i'd say this but compared to the new AI the old RedBaron begins to look a bit easy !

Thanks (really !! :good: ) and greetings

Catfish

P.S. the "Thumbs -up" emoticon looks a bit depressed :haha:

No, the patch won't harm your campaign etc. :yes:

So far, I've noticed about a 50% drop (10 in my case) since I upgraded to 1.26

tried to go back to 1.25 but can't without reinstalling apparently.

I think if you had asked a real WW1 pilot if he wanted to empty his spandau into one enemy , or dispose of him leaving him some ammo for other enemies, that the answer was a no brainer :)

I think he'd make do without the pretty fire=lol

How true. :rofl:

-MJ

Thumbs up on the new patch. I really like the DM changes.

After playing all day (siggi DiD /WTL) and getting one confirmed and having SEVEN about to be confirmed and dying!!! AAARRGGHH!!

I can honestly say that 1.26 vastly improves the game.

I saw , explosions, flat spins, wings coming off, and straight down plummets trailing thick black smoke for wingmen and enemy...it really makes the furballs come to life!

Overall, the patch is a huge improvement! Thank you!

The gunnery, both player and AI set at "normal" is much closer to what I would consider realistic. Like everyone here, I have no experience firing an MG from a bobbing biplane but I have considerable experience shooting MGs from both ground and vehicle mounts. They simply were too accurate at long range previously. Now I would rate them "Excellent" at "normal."

The damage also seems much closer to what I would expect in real life.

Two thumbs up for the gunnery changes!

The planes that were fragile (e.g. the Noop 17 and the Sop Tripe) are even more so now and that's making the sim more realistic.

BRAVO!

BUT (there it is!):

There have been significant changes in the vertical trim in all the planes I flew today in Campaign mode: The Pup, Camel, F2b and Noop 17 (Vickers).

The changes are a mixed bag.

Some, like the Camel, which used to be nose heavy now is tail heavy. That's great! Because from everything I've read the real Camels were indeed tail heavy and the stick constantly had to be pressed forward. Having it nose heavy as it was in the earlier versions clearly was inaccurate.

The Brisfit and the Pup and the Noop 17 also used to be nose heavy and now are tail heavy. Makes taking off, particularly in the F2b, a lot smoother (dunno if it's more or less realistic now but they sure fly better). The Noop is quite unstable in a fight now and that's probably more realistic. It really requires a light touch. The good news is it's still easy to unspin.

The Sop Tripe, however, has gone from bad to worse. It was way too tail heavy in the earlier versions and now is even more tail heavy. It pops up off the ground in about 10 feet and is very erratic in level flight. It's very hard to keep the nose on the horizon. It's impossible to line up the front and rear sights using TIR. It may be worth taking another look at it.

The other thing I noticed was that some (not all) planes now fly in formations in which the wing men are in front of the flight leader (I always fly as flight leader). That was true of the Pup and the Tripe. It isn't accurate and kinda bruises the immersion with the wingies out in front of the leader.

Those are mostly quibbles.

Overall, another big step forward.

Thanks!

ttt

tttiger, Your last point has been corrected already with a hotfix. Pleas go to the OFF homepage and download. They will then behave themselves.

Thanks for the head up, RC!

I'll grab it right now.

Thank you again, Team!

ttt

Havent had time to play with the new patch and hotfix...but it sure sounds good!..looking forward to this evening, and a blast!

So do I, Widowmaker, so do I !!!