Sign in to follow this  
Guest Schizo

Help With Winxp

Guest Schizo

Hi Everyone,

I just bought WindowsXP Prof and it is asking me which file system I want to use?

NTFS or FAT32 and I am not sure which to pick? If I use NTFS will I be able to reinstall my games like FS2004, OFP, MOHAA, IL2FB, etc?

I bought it for lo-mac?

Thanks!!!

Schizo

NTFS, no question. It's a better performing disk system with all the advantages NT security brings.

As far as the games, everything will install the same, since it's an OS subsystem, the games/apps don't know the difference.

Guest Schizo

Thanks MJ,

I wasn't sure what to do.

Thanks again,

Schizo

Jeff/All,

Just curious.. When you guys do a clean install, do you normally put the OS on its own partition for performance?

ie: If I had a 40gig drive, would you partition like 10gigs and just use that for the OS itself? I read it both ways.. what do the flight simmers think? Performance boost at all?

Jeff/All,

Just curious.. When you guys do a clean install, do you normally put the OS on its own partition for performance?

ie: If I had a 40gig drive, would you partition like 10gigs and just use that for the OS itself? I read it both ways.. what do the flight simmers think? Performance boost at all?

You only get a perf boost if the OS and swap are on seperate physical drives. Seperate partitions on the same drive is not going to gain you anything, but is always a little neater to find stuff on. :)

Jeff/All,

It certainly makes it easier to reformat & reinstall your OS if all your data is in its own partition.

How big would you want it? Just big enough for XP? Like 2-3 gigs?