Sign in to follow this  
sukebeboy

Wow, what a difference one patch makes.

or maybe I just got lucky. I could usually get 1-2 kills per mission (unless I was tangling with two seaters, they are my nemesis.) in previous versions, but I'd often get target fixation and usually got shot down as I'd quickly get separated from the rest of my flight in any furball.

Well, I installed the patch and started up a new career with the RFC. Sick of being Fokker fodder in my usual Airco DH2 or SPAD VII, I decided to start a little later in the war and opted for a squad with the Camel.

My first mission was to defend an aerodrome from the pesky Hun. Got on station in time to see a flight of 6 Albatross DIIIs from Jasta 36 diving on the field. I picked one out of the gaggle, got in behind him as he pulled out of a dive and gave him a good, solid burst into the centre of the fuselage. Turns out he was an ace! (can't remember the name though). He rolled left with full rudder as I went up into an immelman to roll back down on him. I'm used to having to expend 25%+ of my ammo to get a kill, so imagine my surprise when I saw he was in a flat spin and heading for the trees. I didn't follow him down but instead started checking six for his friends. Luckily, nobody seemed to think I was worth the effort and I was able to get on the six of a second DIII who was busy giving one of my flight the good news. I knew I wouldn't be able to keep the turn with them but I was able to get a good burst into his upper left wing. Again, I thought I'd have to get on him and expend a lot of rounds chewing him up, but he spun in as well.

I repeated this three more times. Before the immediate area was clear. Sweet! An ace in one mission, provided I could get back. As usual, when the dust settled, I had no idea where any of my flight was, but I could see one plane off in the distance, just above me and heading away. I followed and eventually caught up to the one other remaining member of my 4 man flight, bravely continuing on with the mission. I was all for turning tail and heading home, but felt guilty about leaving him all alone (and more importantly, I didn't want to lose my witness) so I followed.

Near the next way point, we were jumped by a flight of 3 more DIIIs, again from Jasta 36. I got into a scissoring fight with the lead low on the deck and he finally went in after I'd chipped away at him after half a dozen passes. His two wingmen were on my six, blazing away but scoring very few hits. My wingman was on the trailer and doing his best to ensure the German War Widows' Fund would not miss a chance to dole out another dispersement.

I have to say, I love the Camel. It does have a tendency to nose up, but it seems like a very stable, agile crate and I was able to reverse on the Alb, get a good, long burst into his cockpit and rack up my 7th kill of the mission.

7 kills in one mission and still 40% of my ammo left! This is unheard of in my previous virtual lives.

I was able to set my crate down with only a little more bouncing and flopping than usual (and a lot whiter knuckles) and write up my claim sheet. The game accepted 5 at 90% and 2 at 70%, so now I just have to await the results. Only downside is, now I'm afraid to go back up again!

7 kills in one mission and still 40% of my ammo left! This is unheard of in my previous virtual lives.

Seven kills in one mission is a extremely unrealistic result...not something most of us would consider a 'good thing'. Maybe indicates a problem of some kind...too many planes simply spinning and crashing?? Hopefully it is just a fluke.

My experience so far with the new patch , myself in a DH2 V a Alb D2 in quick combat , In the opening head on attack it was nice to see my enemy did not open up on me from 1500-1600 feet as usuall pre patch ,

I chassed my enemy all over the sky he was good , I didnt do any snap shots I wanted to do a short accurate burst from very close as a test , it took some time but after much dancing about I got my shot in and...

wow what a difference my enemy reacted straight away he looped straight up over me then down in a spin trailing thick black smoke , I thought poor chap he's done for , but no... at about 1000 feet from the ground my enemy levels out and makes a run for it so I give chase again but before I can catch up he goes into another spin and crashes .

Excellent work DEvs from what ive seen so far .

P.S. Upon further inspection I noticed my galant German foe was in fact a rookie and he had managed to damage my DH2's engine in our fight .

I really dont want to meet an ace now :)

cheers

Seven kills in one mission is a extremely unrealistic result...not something most of us would consider a 'good thing'. Maybe indicates a problem of some kind...too many planes simply spinning and crashing?? Hopefully it is just a fluke.

My experience exactly. :ok: I think the machines fall too easily. I want to flame the machines. :biggrin: I put fifty rounds in and my enemy spins out of controL.....no flames. :dntknw: I like the patch in all other respects.....but I need a bonfire for a downed machine..... :yes:

-MJ

Edited by MJmorrow

I'd wait for it to happen 3 missions in a row, prior to any complaints

I'm roughly a 19% hits man myself ( incredably bad eyesight ), once early in Phase 2, my Sopwith Triplane had 4 Victories in one mission, next mision I got my parking stub validated. That one mission, everything clicked, I could do no wrong

Who's complaining? After rarely lasting more than 5 sorties in any of my previous campaigns, I suddenly felt all rugged and manly! (At least until my 3rd mission in the current campaign when I ran into a bunch of two seaters. Then it was back to business as usual. Downed one but got riddled by his buddies in the process and had to set down in a field.)

My experience exactly. :ok: I think the machines fall too easily. I want to flame the machines. :biggrin: I put fifty rounds in and my enemy spins out of controL.....no flames. :dntknw: I like the patch in all other respects.....but I need a bonfire for a downed machine..... :yes:

-MJ

Guy's, for what it's worth, my last mission i flew in my Pup I shot down 7 ALB D111 and ALB D111(160), ok i did die as well in the end but this was done with only 480 rounds, of which i still had some left before dieing, BUT the thing is, i haven't put the new patch in yet.

So getting 7 kills in a mission isn't unheard of, you just got to get it right everytime and get lucky at the same time. I just stuffed up on the last one by colliding with it as it was going in. I had DiD on so probably would have been a visit to Nurse Gladys otherwise, it was that close to the ground.

I am looking forward to the new patch though.

I really really recommend setting Guns on Hard with 1.26.

I really really recommend setting Guns on Hard with 1.26.

Yep Hard is as it was before.....ie as is was in 1.25

HTH

WM

Just remember chaps that in this sim you are, effectively, already aces compared to the real pilots. It's not that the guns/bullets are doing unrealistic damage, it's that you're able to get onto their tails and put rounds into them at all.

The flip-side is that one good burst into your kite will put you out of action almost immediately.

The three dogfights I just had in QC were the best and most authentic-feeling I've had yet. :good:

My thoughts exactly... The damage model is greatly improved but maybe they sacrificed in the name of a better damage model.. seems a bit unrealistic to kill 7 in one mission.. just my thoughts and it is in no way a criticism.. ;)

Blue..

My thoughts exactly... The damage model is greatly improved but maybe they sacrificed in the name of a better damage model.. seems a bit unrealistic to kill 7 in one mission.. just my thoughts and it is in no way a criticism.. ;)

Blue..

Maybe consider what GUN settings they have in workshops - its fully scaleable now?

Nothing is sacrificed....

WM

Maybe consider what GUN settings they have in workshops - its fully scaleable now?

Nothing is sacrificed....

hi Winder it wasnt a criticism.. was just wondering thats all.. You are correct the gun is fully scalable.. guess easy is out of the question.. ha,ha Thanks for all the work!!!

Blue

hi Winder it wasnt a criticism.. was just wondering thats all.. You are correct the gun is fully scalable.. guess easy is out of the question.. ha,ha Thanks for all the work!!!

Blue

No problem remember many other people read these threads and I want the correct info reflected.

Easy will be needed by newbies so of course it all depends on perspective.

We discussed this a lot and wanted the scaling to help and allow even guys playing with keyboards to have fun.

IOW if we are gonna scale it lets scale it!

Main thing is that the original gun settings are there - hard.

HTH

WM

I'm curious, Winder. I've been following the various threads about DM and guns since they started. I have certainly appreciated the dev's interest in scaling the sim for everone's benefit. And I'll echo the oft-repeated refrain of how amazing (truly unheard of in my experience) the support is for this sim.

I've got 1.26, but have only flown one mission so far, my first encounter with two-seaters. I play some version of DiD (usually use TAC). But I sure poured a lot of bullets into (or at least in the general direction of) that two-seater without much apparent affect. I noticed pieces flying off. But he sure wasn't "easy"!

So, if I keep my settings on hard, and thus 100 Realism, what is different, if anything, from 1.25? Will the AI start shooting as far away as before? Is there improved DM even in the hard settings? In other words, should I experience more variety of plane behavior on shooting them down?

I'm curious, Winder. I've been following the various threads about DM and guns since they started. I have certainly appreciated the dev's interest in scaling the sim for everone's benefit. And I'll echo the oft-repeated refrain of how amazing (truly unheard of in my experience) the support is for this sim.

I've got 1.26, but have only flown one mission so far, my first encounter with two-seaters. I play some version of DiD (usually use TAC). But I sure poured a lot of bullets into (or at least in the general direction of) that two-seater without much apparent affect. I noticed pieces flying off. But he sure wasn't "easy"!

So, if I keep my settings on hard, and thus 100 Realism, what is different, if anything, from 1.25? Will the AI start shooting as far away as before? Is there improved DM even in the hard settings? In other words, should I experience more variety of plane behavior on shooting them down?

DM is altered on some craft is about the only difference gunnery wise.

To see a difference you do have to change settings in workshops?

But there are lots of fixes in 1.26 as listed on our website.

HTH

WM

Winder, why are you reading the boards? You are supposed to be taking a much needed BREAK!!!!! :crazy:

RR

I am trying to get to that stage - close now!

WM

Thanks OBD for your continued hard work and support. It's hard to please everyone but you try. I want to say that I had been flying the Roland CII previous to 1.26 and had a job of it to reach an altitude of 4000 ft.. Played first Walfisch mission after 1.26 and found I could reach 12000 ft. without so much struggle. I appreciate that. Now I can cross the front and stand a chance of surviving. I think this is a patch fix. Regardless, than you.

The sim is waaaaay more realistic now. I have my guns on hard but still, the aircraft go down easier (not much). But YOU go down easier as well. I started a QC as soon as I patched and I didnt have a chance to survive. An Albatros got behind my tail and after some well placed shots my aircraft went completely FUBAR. I started spinning from 10000 feet. At 5000 I recovered, but when I tried to level off, my Se5 spinned again and finally crashed. Do I have to add that the Albatros was shooting me from 100 yards? Do I have to add that the enemy AI did not dive for the deck immidiately?

The next QC was against some DrIs. I got lucky and survived the first shots, but then, I realised that my whole flight was dead, and 5 EA were buzzing all around. 30'' were enough for them... The third QC was against a flight of Pfalzes. I managed to get on someone's tail and I aimed for the wing thinking "Let's see what the Devs have really done"...I was shooting all over the plane but tried to focus on the wing. Then I saw a big chunk coming off the bottom wing of the Pfalz, then the whole bottom wing got detached. I watched him go down, cheering. during this time though, a guy got behind my tail and...you know the rest. The two seaters are better as well. The rear gunner is much more killable.

From the things I have read and saw about WWI aviation, I can assume that thit sim NOW has the most accurate DM/FM. And of course, you got more spectacular deaths!

Some booze for the development team from me..! :drinks: :drinks_drunk: :drinks: :drinks_drunk: :biggrin: