Sign in to follow this  
Hokum

Has anyone done a Buccaneer for tw sims?

Okay Bucc's never had clearance for Guns Recce pod in the bomb bay or 4 1000lb's or fuel 4 wing racks for anything you could find lying around... Laser bombs drop tanks Sidewinders Jamming pods Rockets more bombs Instant Sunshine bombs you get the idea...

Would be great to go low level on Anti-ship with 4 Eagles and 4 1000lb's the bombs could be used to scare off Fighters... dropped at low level and going off in a fighters face is gonna make him want to re-evaluate his reasons for flying if nothing else... This last one was a valid tactic for a Buccaneer or Flying banana.

Personally I would love an S-1 and the S-2 (S-2 preferably that way we get RAF as well) but the Bucc S-2 RAF could carry Martel so she would have had the same wing setup as the Navy S-2.

So how long ???

2 Weeks ???? :biggrin:

Ive seen pics of the recce pod but that was about it, and i know in DS they mostly painted and tanked. Thought I would ask because I dont have a ton of info on the bird.

P.S. anyone know if it was Thunder Citys Black Bucc used in Lord of War?

One of my fav planes.

I could use it in my upcoming Area 88 mod!

P.S. anyone know if it was Thunder Citys Black Bucc used in Lord of War?

Probably, they've got the only three currently flying and the only three that are all black! HHA have one at Scampton but that's only just become airworthy recently and I believe they're still waiting on some parts before they start regular tasking.

Pacman, the Bucc I'm working on for FSX is going to cover both S.1 and S.2 and should see it's way into Strike Fighters in due course, i.e once the model is finalised I can look at importing it to SF and making any changes to the mesh that are needed. As far as I can tell, all RAF Buccs had the later wing state and were S.2B, the S.2 was the original RN version with the S.2C having been upgraded with the wing pylon move and the S.2D being fully Martel capable. When they got transferred to the RAF the RN models were modified to the then current S.2B standard to standardise the fleet.

THE best low level strike aircraft ever produced..... i remember hearing a story about how a flight of them flew from England, did a mock strike on Gibraltar and flew all the way back unrefuelled.. taking the long way overwater too.... been waiting for this one for a LONG time :lol:

The low level stuff is legendary, tumble weeds on the refueling probe, telephone wires wrapped around the tail, one even had a fish scales on the turbine blades after a low level sea run. They didnt find feathers so they think it hit a jumping fish!

Probably, they've got the only three currently flying and the only three that are all black! HHA have one at Scampton but that's only just become airworthy recently and I believe they're still waiting on some parts before they start regular tasking.

Pacman, the Bucc I'm working on for FSX is going to cover both S.1 and S.2 and should see it's way into Strike Fighters in due course, i.e once the model is finalised I can look at importing it to SF and making any changes to the mesh that are needed. As far as I can tell, all RAF Buccs had the later wing state and were S.2B, the S.2 was the original RN version with the S.2C having been upgraded with the wing pylon move and the S.2D being fully Martel capable. When they got transferred to the RAF the RN models were modified to the then current S.2B standard to standardise the fleet.

My apologies haven't read me books again but would love to see the Bucc in FSX as I only have the Alphasim one to keep me occupied and that one burns fuel too fast and can be a pain as its converted from 2004...

Also for all you Banana fans out there there is a new book coming out in April on the Banana.... when they did ops in the Carribean...

Phoenix Squadron by Rowland White more info on the following link also has info on just about every major military British Jet as well...

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/contents.php

There is also the story of a Banana and a Tornado flying from Lossiemouth Northern Scotland to Cyprus the Banana refuelling the Tornado once on the way there and the Tornado landing low on gas while the Banana when for a fly round the island and still landing with a decent amount of juice on board.... and as to low flying I seen it and still have trouble believing it!!!

Edited by PACMAN

Skippy,

Be careful with the wingtips - although the all the later RAF birds used the "later" wing state, at some point after the infamous fatigue life problem, the RAF switched back to the old style smaller wingtips that were more common on the S.1's and the early S.2's - If I recall correctly they were "draggier" but relieved the loading somewhat, so the idea was to extend the life of the fleet by back-fitting...

SB

Yeah, going by the pictures I've got, the S.1 wingtip finished at the end of the ailerons. The S.2s were all delivered with a triangular wingtip extension that obviously improved something at the expensive of fatigue life, the fatigue specimen keeping the S.1 wingtips so no one noticed!

What I can't tell is if after the grounding they went to the S.1 tips, or a cut back version of the S.2's. If you look at pictures of later S.2Bs they appear to have a sliver of wingtip outboard of the aileron, rather than nothing so I'm thinking the later option.

The Buc has a face only a mother and a true lover of naval aviation could love. Looking forward to getting my greasy skinners on that bad byatch.

The Buc has a face only a mother and a true lover of naval aviation could love. Looking forward to getting my greasy skinners on that bad byatch.

I love the Buccaneer. Nuff said.

If someone wants this Bucc to finish off...its available...I have not the time to devote to getting it done very soon...so if YOU* are serious and want to take this on...I will gather all the many files etc it includes....

*...meaning someone who volunteers to take it on...

:)

Also for all you Banana fans out there there is a new book coming out in April on the Banana.... when they did ops in the Carribean...

Phoenix Squadron by Rowland White more info on the following link also has info on just about every major military British Jet as well...

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/contents.php

Woo, Vulcan 607 is one of my fave books AND I am a massive banana jet fan, so this has made my day.

Yeah, going by the pictures I've got, the S.1 wingtip finished at the end of the ailerons. The S.2s were all delivered with a triangular wingtip extension that obviously improved something at the expensive of fatigue life, the fatigue specimen keeping the S.1 wingtips so no one noticed!

What I can't tell is if after the grounding they went to the S.1 tips, or a cut back version of the S.2's. If you look at pictures of later S.2Bs they appear to have a sliver of wingtip outboard of the aileron, rather than nothing so I'm thinking the later option.

Skippy,

I've read in one of the umpteen books I've got on Buccs that they re-used the old wingtips, but I have to admit I have a hard time believing that they'd actually have them cluttering up the storage bins for all those years... 'course, the Navy never throws anything away, so I guess it's possible... The original S.1 wingtips do have a "sliver" at the end... it's hard to notice - especially on those anti-flash white paintjobs, but it's there... at least I don't think I'm imagining it!

SB

If someone wants this Bucc to finish off...its available...I have not the time to devote to getting it done very soon...so if YOU* are serious and want to take this on...I will gather all the many files etc it includes....

*...meaning someone who volunteers to take it on...

:)

It would be a shame if after the great work that you have done so far that this old bird were never to be completed and released into the community, I know that certainly by all us Brits she is sorely missed and would be greatly appreciated and would fill yet another of the holes that in the range of aircraft available.

Thanks for your efforts so far

Lazboy

If you look at this pic of an S.1 here there's nothing outboard of the end of the aileron.

Whereas on this one of a late S.2 there is. Actually the first time I've seen those two phots, which confirms what I'd thought from examining old black and white photos. I was thrown for a while as the plans in one of my references has the late S.2 tips on the S.1 three view, I spent ages trying to tie that in with the pictures I had before deciding the plans were b*****s!

F*** me, just noticed at least on of Thunder City's seems to have the early S.2 tips, here. I would have thought they would have been upgraded at the same time as the rest of the fleet but apparently not.

F*** me, just noticed at least on of Thunder City's seems to have the early S.2 tips, here. I would have thought they would have been upgraded at the same time as the rest of the fleet but apparently not.

Unless its an old SAA one and those are S.50 Wingtips?

From wiki...

"Buccaneer S.50

Variant for South Africa. Wings could be folded but folding was no longer powered. Aircraft could be equipped with two single-stage rockets (see RATO) to assist take-off from hot-and-high airfields like that of AFB Waterkloof in Pretoria, where the type was mostly based. "

Edited by Hokum

No, bizarrely the Thunder City examples were all built specifically for the RAE, and I think were some of the last off the production line, the UK based airworthy example being the next on the production line. Some info here, note the Hawker Hunter Aviation example is waiting for parts for the seats from M-B before being fully airworthy.

Heres some textures added to the pit I found...but...cd I had the textures on ...summat happened...all the files properties say the files are 0kb in size...odd

frontpit.jpg

If you look at this pic of an S.1 here there's nothing outboard of the end of the aileron.

Whereas on this one of a late S.2 there is. Actually the first time I've seen those two phots, which confirms what I'd thought from examining old black and white photos. I was thrown for a while as the plans in one of my references has the late S.2 tips on the S.1 three view, I spent ages trying to tie that in with the pictures I had before deciding the plans were b*****s!

Skippy,

I just spent some time pouring over Bucc plans, and have to admit the only thing I can understand is that like you discovered, the plans I have are junk! The photo's certainly don't lie... I imagine the RAE's Bucc's probably stuck with the original "as built" wingtips because fatigue was never an issue with them... just a guess.

SB

Russ that looks good. 0k files? Sounds like they where corrupted when written to disk?

This is either going to be the greatest aircraft released for the series, or the greatest aircraft that never was and should have been in this series!

What an amazing cockpit... I am in awe.