Sign in to follow this  
rabu

Western Front Map 1915-1916 for in game use UP

Map is up for download (click) after a days problem with corrupted uploads. I checked it and it's good now. Sorry to everyone who may have spent time trying to dl yesterday and this morning.

The original, large, paper map which is the basis of this set was lent to me by Hugh Baldwin, "Bletchley," back in October 2006. It was a project to bring some maps into the Over Flanders Fields W.W.I. flight simulation as well as supply maps for others interested in this period of W.W.I. history. The original map was badly creased, ripped and worn and being very large I had to scan it in pieces, then paste it all together accurately in Photoshop and then restore it and enhance it. I've included a photo of what the original map looked like out of interest. (click here) The completed map was available for free down load on Polovsky's Over Flanders Fields website for several years. I had always planned on doing a series of smaller cut up versions for printing on standard letter size paper so that a OFF player could more easily use them in game. I have finally gotten around to doing it after the several requests I saw on the SimOuthouse OFF forum after the release of OFF phase 3, "Between Heaven & Hell" this January 2009. I cut these up and added borders so that the feeling is one of more authentic maps of the period.

The main map is now divided into 16 segments, each indexed to a map segment by alphabet letters. Each segment overlaps so that there is no loss of detail and each segment is clearly marked in the upper right corner with it's index letter number.

These will print out very nicely at Letter size (8.5"x11") or larger. In game, locate the map segment for your flight path and pencil in notes, mark the flight path, indicate way point markers, etc.

I hope you enjoy these and they help in your flying in the OFF BHH game, or in any other historically accurate WWI sim.

Main Index Map:

Western%20Front_indexed.jpg

Segment map "C"

Map%20C.jpg

Edited by rabu

Hmmm.. Interesting.. about 70 downloads so far and not one comment? Oh well..

Thanks rabu. Both for your work with the maps and for making it available to us! (I suspect most ppl are busy trying out the 1.26 patch.)

Thanks rabu. Both for your work with the maps and for making it available to us! (I suspect most ppl are busy trying out the 1.26 patch.)

Thanks, just curious to see what people think using them in game and how it goes.

Salute rabu,

I have them downloaded and printed and will be giving them a try on my next mission. Thanks for making these vintage maps available...very cool.

Cheers!

Lou

Thanks, just curious to see what people think using them in game and how it goes.

Rabu, unfortunately I could not fully use this map for pure navigation in OFF3. Only if there were the ingame airfields depicted I would be able to orientate with it and not using the CFS3's GPS and/or Moving Map. The airfields are eventually the main landmarks that can be used for navigation (and the frontline ofcourse). If only someone could smartly put the ingame airfields on your map it would be sooo cool. Until then I'll be using my own method that I posted in the other thread (with the screenshot utility and 2nd Monitor). These are my thoughts on this important aspect of the flightsim and history game.

Please, someone, add the ingame airfields to the map!

Thanks,

Dirk.

Edited by Dirk98

Rabu, unfortunately I could not fully use this map for pure navigation in OFF3. Only if there were the ingame airfields depicted I would be able to orientate with it and not using the CFS3's GPS and/or Moving Map. The airfields are eventually the main landmarks that can be used for navigation (and the frontline ofcourse). If only someone could smartly put the ingame airfields on your map it would be sooo cool. Until then I'll be using my own method that I posted in the other thread (with the screenshot utility and 2nd Monitor). These are my thoughts on this important aspect of the flightsim and history game.

Please, someone, add the ingame airfields to the map!

Thanks,

Dirk.

The Western Front, larger map, has the Brit fields indicated with black dots. I'm trying to get more detailed maps done like the Somme I just posted for dl, but it also doesn't have the fields indicated. When I get the time I'll see if I can add these. If some one wants to indicate on the maps the locations I'll redo them up with good looking colored indications of the fields, like the French and British roundels and the German cross in a way that won't distrupt the features.

The Western Front, larger map, has the Brit fields indicated with black dots. I'm trying to get more detailed maps done like the Somme I just posted for dl, but it also doesn't have the fields indicated. When I get the time I'll see if I can add these. If some one wants to indicate on the maps the locations I'll redo them up with good looking colored indications of the fields, like the French and British roundels and the German cross in a way that won't distrupt the features.

Rabu, and even if someone adds the necessary landmarks (i.e. ingame airfields) to you your hires map there will still remain one shortcoming. You'll not be able to copy the flight plan off the briefing map. Only when you get in the game you'll be able to draw the exact flight plan on your map off the ingame pop up map board in 3D.

As I said, for me the best playing solution would be the ingame, fixed, no-gps icon, pop up map. Why? - because only this map always has the exact flight plan plotted for each mission. I wish the OFF3 coder could look into this humble request. Otherwise many people will find it nice to fly with your map (after getting the flight plan from the game map). It's like in MSFS series: some like to use real paper charts and maps, some like to use the ingame add-on viewing utilities.

:)

Thanks.

I suppose there are advantages to each. For me, the flight path isn't that hard to copy over to the paper map and the advantage is that you can write notes on the map, indicate things you have seen, encounters, etc. PLUS, the paper maps, IMHO are much more interesting and immersive then the in game map, which so far is limited to the low res of the CFS3 game engine. The iin game map would be much better if we could beef it up and add details, just not sure that will ever be possible, and even then, I still like checking the paper maps. Maybe I got that from my Red Baron years with the maps they supplied.

Hey Rabu,

The maps are fantastic. I slid the printed sheets into clear plastic page protectors. I now can copy the flight plan from the mission briefing map with a grease pencil and straight edge. I can even note my wingmans' names in the margins. I am getting pretty good at recognizing the land marks from the air... Once I am airborne I hardly touch the M key anymore.

I just discovered and downloaded your Somme Maps contribution from the downloads section. Outstanding!!!

OlPaint01

Hey Rabu,

The maps are fantastic. I slid the printed sheets into clear plastic page protectors. I now can copy the flight plan from the mission briefing map with a grease pencil and straight edge. I can even note my wingmans' names in the margins. I am getting pretty good at recognizing the land marks from the air... Once I am airborne I hardly touch the M key anymore.

I just discovered and downloaded your Somme Maps contribution from the downloads section. Outstanding!!!

OlPaint01

Wow, excellent idea! Less waste of paper and ink too. Glad they are working for you and thanks for letting me know. :notworthy:

I am getting pretty good at recognizing the land marks from the air... Once I am airborne I hardly touch the M key anymore.

Nice. I still hope someone will place all the airfields on Rabu's map. There are no many landmarks but the airfields useable for orientation and navigation. And the whole concept is based on complete rejection of the M and 'radar' keys during the flight. Draw the plan on the ground off the M-map and never use it after that. When I start a new location, I usually fly around and take my notes (a village, a forest, an army field, a few bridges here and there). For me it's harder to find the home field on the way back, there are usually a few of them around. So I check out my notes then. And if you land on your field properly (as well as you if visit all the waypoints) you'll be rewarded by "Mission Success" screen.

Dirk.

PS: Rabu, I haven't checked carefully: are there same bridges, blocks of forest and villages in the map as they are in the game?

PPS: I know I'm spoiled, in MSFS I never use the GPS and I use PDF maps and plates but off my 2nd monitor. In IL-2 it works great, you turn off the GPS and fly by the squares in the map.

Edited by Dirk98

I'd downloaded it when you originally posted the full map, but never got round to printing it out.

Now you've 'cut it up', it makes it so much easier......printed, laminated and ready to use with a wipe off marker pen or grease pencil.

Great work Rabu.....many many thanks

:clapping::clapping:

Nice. I still hope someone will place all the airfields on Rabu's map. There are no many landmarks but the airfields useable for orientation and navigation. And the whole concept is based on complete rejection of the M and 'radar' keys during the flight. Draw the plan on the ground off the M-map and never use it after that. When I start a new location, I usually fly around and take my notes (a village, a forest, an army field, a few bridges here and there). For me it's harder to find the home field on the way back, there are usually a few of them around. So I check out my notes then. And if you land on your field properly (as well as you if visit all the waypoints) you'll be rewarded by "Mission Success" screen.

Dirk.

PS: Rabu, I haven't checked carefully: are there same bridges, blocks of forest and villages in the map as they are in the game?

PPS: I know I'm spoiled, in MSFS I never use the GPS and I use PDF maps and plates but off my 2nd monitor. In IL-2 it works great, you turn off the GPS and fly by the squares in the map.

Again, when I get time I'll see if I can add icons for airfields. If some one wants to save me the trouble of finding the historical information for locating them for me, for French, British and German, I can probably get it done this weekend.

The maps have indications for forests, rivers, roads, rail roads, etc. They also note the front lines at various months, very useful in locating the fighting going on. The sim was based on maps and thus, they should be fairly accurate to the map. The more detailed maps like the one of the Somme also have topographic lines which indicate hills, valleys, etc.

The original maps of the time did not indicate where airfields were located though (I'm pretty sure). A flyer had to fly around, get oriented using different way points he would note on his map, and then follow his missions. Many times they would get lost, just like in the game, if you only rely on a real paper map and don't see yourself located on a computer map.. much more challanging.

Many times they would get lost, just like in the game, if you only rely on a real paper map and don't see yourself located on a computer map.. much more challanging.

Accepted. But as far as I am concerned I'm looking for the game-oriented fixed map. Doesnt matter if it on the screen or on the paper or under laminate, btw. Consider it is on the mapcase anyway.

But what's the use of the map that shows a lot of what is not in the game, and on the contrary doesn't show the most prominent and salient details that exist in the game's world? I have real-life experience flying VFR maps, so I know what I'm asking about. Unfortunately I tried to fly Gimpy's sectionals and did not find it neither comfortable nor much relevant to what I see in the game scenery. It was more like flying the compass and the watch only. I mean it worked but what's the map for? That's why I'm very interested in this discussion. Thanks for your efforts again, I'll be waiting for your kind work on adjusting the map to the game's reality.

Dirk.

Edited by Dirk98

Accepted. But as far as I am concerned I'm looking for the game-oriented fixed map. Doesnt matter if it on the screen or on the paper or under laminate, btw. Consider it is on the mapcase anyway.

But what's the use of the map that shows a lot of what is not in the game, and on the contrary doesn't show the most prominent and salient details that exist in the game's world? I have real-life experience flying VFR maps, so I know what I'm asking about. Unfortunately I tried to fly Gimpy's sectionals and did not find it neither comfortable nor much relevant to what I see in the game scenery. It was more like flying the compass and the watch only. I mean it worked but what's the map for? That's why I'm very interested in this discussion. Thanks for your efforts again, I'll be waiting for your kind work on adjusting the map to the game's reality.

Dirk.

The maps do show what's in game, pretty much, probably a lot more detail then the in game low res map, and like I said, it's up to the flyer to fly around and get oriented and make notes on the map, etc., if you want that realism level.

Gimpy didn't make the sections you mentioned, Gousgounis did, and they were actually my map that I scanned and restored originally of the Western Front and were only cut up with no over lap or borders, etc. They've been removed since I posted my sectional version.

Anyway, I realize each has their own concerns, but I agree the airfield icons would be very helpful on the paper maps and will see what I can do. I really doubt the OFF maps are going to change though, from what I understand it's hard coded in the game design of CFS3, unfortunately.

Cheers,

I really doubt the OFF maps are going to change though, from what I understand it's hard coded in the game design of CFS3, unfortunately.

It's a huge job in itself, and no way it'll ever be done in CFS3 framework, so it's much easier to talk Rabu to the OFF3-adapted map. :)

The only work around that I would personally be happy with inside OFF3 would be to turn off the plane's icon and the moving map (M), but I dont think even this is possible.

The easiest way yet is to make a hand drawing of the flightpath and the airfields along the way, and take regular notes of what you see below flying to the target area.

So, there's no place left for the Radar and Moving Map cheats. :biggrin:

Thanks.

Edited by Dirk98

Dirk.

The maps do show what's in game, pretty much, probably a lot more detail then the in game low res map, and like I said, it's up to the flyer to fly around and get oriented and make notes on the map, etc., if you want that realism level.

Gimpy didn't make the sections you mentioned, Gousgounis did, and they were actually my map that I scanned and restored originally of the Western Front and were only cut up with no over lap or borders, etc. They've been removed since I posted my sectional version.

Anyway, I realize each has their own concerns, but I agree the airfield icons would be very helpful on the paper maps and will see what I can do. I really doubt the OFF maps are going to change though, from what I understand it's hard coded in the game design of CFS3, unfortunately.

Cheers,

I am currently in the process of mapping the aerodromes on the flanders maps. If someonewants to volunteer to help me in finding coordinates, it would be much appreciated...

I am currently in the process of mapping the aerodromes on the flanders maps. If someonewants to volunteer to help me in finding coordinates, it would be much appreciated...

Thanks Chris, will look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Ok, let me get the Coordinates. I think there are also names for each airfield somewhere in the game.

Thanks,

Dirk.

would it be possible to use the mission builder to create a mission similar to what you're commonly going to see in the game? and if you took screen captures of that and composited a larger map could THAT be a way of creating a better subtitute for in flight maps?

I was astonished at the level of detail I could find and manipulate while using the CFS3 Mission Builder

A month ago I began a project to make an in-game map by actually doing "photo-recon" while in-game.

After some trial and error, I was able to produce pretty good "swatches" of in-game maps, using the following method:

1) Start a "Free Flight" in Quick Combat, with a starting height of 15,000 feet (the maximum allowed).

2) Head the aircraft due north from its starting position (compass heading 0.00 with "Z" display on).

3) Holding the aircraft steady at 15,000 feet on course 0.00, set the autopilot.

4) With the aircraft flying on autopilot at 15,000/0.00, set an external view directly above it, and "zoom out" to the max.

5) Begin snapping screenshots of the terrain below, such that they overlap slightly; continue this until you reach some convenient stopping point.

6) Exit the game, and use some image editing tool (I used Paint) to cut-and-paste the images together, giving a long "swatch" covering the flight path of the recon aircraft.

7) Add labels (again I used Paint) to key terrain features such as airfields, railyards, towns, rivers, roads, etc.

8) Photo-reduce the map to 25% and save as jpeg, to make it manageable in scale ande file size.

By repeating this process for additional north-south swatches, then cutting-pasting them together as well, I thought I could produce an actual in-game "map" of our real terrain, thus freeing myself from the crummy "M"-key map. But the problem I encountered was that I could never get the recon aircraft to consistently fly a true 0.00 degree course from mission to mission (swatch to swatch), nor get it to hold a true 15,000 feet altitude, before I set the autopilot. This though each swatch is internally consistent, and easy to cut-and-paste together, matching parallel north-south swatches was a real problem. So for now at least I've abandoned the effort.

If anyone is interested I can post one of my completed swatch files to look at.

First of all Rabu thank you for providing these maps I love em.

I went to my local office supply store and bought a box of printer transparancys. ( the kind used in overhead projectors) printed the maps out on them and then taped a piece of paper behind it. Using VCV markers ( the kind used in overhead projectors) I can plot my missioin corse and record kills on the map.

When i'm done I just wipe them off with a paper towl and window cleaner and I ready for the next mission.

great stuff!

At Cptroyce's request I've uploaded a zip file to the forum "Downloads" section, in the OFF BHAH "Maps, etc" subsection.

The file has a jpeg version of one of my "photo recon screenshots" maps, a "swatch" taken from Droglandt airfield in Flanders and running north to the North Sea. I've added some labels to the file using Paint, to show what might be done. The file is a 25% reduction of the original pasted together map, and it comprises sections of about a dozen screenshots.

If I can figure out a way to reliably get my "recon aircraft" to fly the same course heading & altitude from "mission" to "mission", I could map the whole front this way...

A month ago I began a project to make an in-game map by actually doing "photo-recon" while in-game.

After some trial and error, I was able to produce pretty good "swatches" of in-game maps, using the following method:

1) Start a "Free Flight" in Quick Combat, with a starting height of 15,000 feet (the maximum allowed).

2) Head the aircraft due north from its starting position (compass heading 0.00 with "Z" display on).

3) Holding the aircraft steady at 15,000 feet on course 0.00, set the autopilot.

4) With the aircraft flying on autopilot at 15,000/0.00, set an external view directly above it, and "zoom out" to the max.

5) Begin snapping screenshots of the terrain below, such that they overlap slightly; continue this until you reach some convenient stopping point.

6) Exit the game, and use some image editing tool (I used Paint) to cut-and-paste the images together, giving a long "swatch" covering the flight path of the recon aircraft.

7) Add labels (again I used Paint) to key terrain features such as airfields, railyards, towns, rivers, roads, etc.

8) Photo-reduce the map to 25% and save as jpeg, to make it manageable in scale ande file size.

By repeating this process for additional north-south swatches, then cutting-pasting them together as well, I thought I could produce an actual in-game "map" of our real terrain, thus freeing myself from the crummy "M"-key map. But the problem I encountered was that I could never get the recon aircraft to consistently fly a true 0.00 degree course from mission to mission (swatch to swatch), nor get it to hold a true 15,000 feet altitude, before I set the autopilot. This though each swatch is internally consistent, and easy to cut-and-paste together, matching parallel north-south swatches was a real problem. So for now at least I've abandoned the effort.

If anyone is interested I can post one of my completed swatch files to look at.

heh, ironically I was thinking of doing precisely that to try and recreate the actual photo-recon mission experience anyways. I was reading through a book on Allied aerial recon and photographic procedures and was even thinking of trying to use maps on the scale that would have been in use historically. the only variation on your idea that I was going to try and implement would be to treat EVERY recon sortie in campaign as precisely this sort of assignment. although I fully expect to get killed a lot while doing this! :wink: