Sign in to follow this  
andqui

Alb vs. Camel

Does anybody have any idea on how to do it?

The camel is just as fast, is much more maneuverable, and has the same firepower. I allways get beaten.

What kind of tactics should I use? Right now I'm just trying to keep as much altitude and speed as possible.

any ideas from the Albatross drivers?

I assume you are talking the DVa, if so, it's not bad, but still no match for a Camel, IMHO. Never try to turn with him, he'll get you every time. About the only thing I think that may work is diving to the deck and a hard pull up. The best bet, bring friends.

Diving turns to the left, climbing turns to the right. The Camel shouldn't like that too much. Apart from that - Dicta Boelcke. Never engage unless you have the advantage. Get in, shoot him, get out.

Woowie! Six DVa vs six Camels, I got two Camels (blew parts of the wings off both of them), ended up with two on my tail, one flew himself into the ground, the other finally managed to turn well inside of me and hit me with a deflection shot and that was me down and out.

I think the trick is to use superior speed to get clear, wait until they're all engaged with the others and then go back in, pick one and do him and then carry on out the other side and repeat. I made the mistake of getting into it with them.

Woowie! Six DVa vs six Camels, I got two Camels (blew parts of the wings off both of them), ended up with two on my tail, one flew himself into the ground, the other finally managed to turn well inside of me and hit me with a deflection shot and that was me down and out.

I think the trick is to use superior speed to get clear, wait until they're all engaged with the others and then go back in, pick one and do him and then carry on out the other side and repeat. I made the mistake of getting into it with them.

B&Z the Camel with a 'Tros. You turn fight, you die.

B&Z the Camel with a 'Tros. You turn fight, you die.

I turned with one and beat him. One of the last two couldn't keep with me and crashed, the last one got me.

Does anybody have any idea on how to do it?

The camel is just as fast, is much more maneuverable, and has the same firepower. I allways get beaten.

What kind of tactics should I use? Right now I'm just trying to keep as much altitude and speed as possible.

any ideas from the Albatross drivers?

Try what I try in a SPAD 13 against Fokker DVIIs and DR1s

1. Do not engage if they have height advantage. If they do, let them pass and extend form the fight first.

2. Only turn once maybe two times when tailing an enemy plane and firing (in patch 1.26 that is all you might need) extend instead , leave the area a bit, look around and re engage on a distracted camel. if you are being followed, choose when to turn back in and drag the camel over a friendly flak or machine gun trap (if you see lots of AA going up , friendly AA, stop right there and engage for a few turns , then extend again etc.)

3. Boom and zoom if you have height advantage. Dive in, shoot then climb, climb, climb and trade the dive energy for height, rinse and repeat.

As GEIER says.

Often, it's like in Westerns - you must do the first shot (and better be precise!)

But when they come from above and hunt you - oh boy!

Great Thread, and by the way MK2, your advice on techniques for flying the Spad worked beautifully. I'm now having fun with it and not getting blasted. Thanks for the pointers! :good: As far as Camels v. Albitri, all the previous advice is good, and the first is namely, don't pick a fight you cant win. They are pretty evenly matched with the Camel I'd say having a slight advantage. My experience has been whoever has the most fighters in the air is usually gonna come out on top. If you are out numbered, make a run for it. I find there are numerous ways to do this. If I get into a slow turning fight down to ground level, and there is only one or two pursuers, I usually cut the throttle and dump the AC down to wheels skimming the ground right before they have a gun fix on me, this usually gives the Camels such a shock that they can't follow it down (usually dont get a shot) and have to pull up or overshoot me, either way you may then hit full throttle once they bank, turn and get a shot at them, or continue to try to escape. There are a lot of combinations of this you can use, but its a close thing by then, and my advice is dont get in that situation in the first place. If you are being pursued by a gang, this won't work as well and this will fool those closest to you, but you will still be disassembled bythose further back.

However, if you are in a relatively fair fight up high, you can usually turn inside the camel if you've got plenty of altitude, by dropping your nose steeply inside the turn with aileron and rudder, sort of like a wingover, thereby lessening your turn and altitude, but gaining speed. You are sort of diving into the turn, which if done right will get you on his tail for a few seconds. Its important you make this shot count though, because you will only get a few before you both are out of altitude!

ZZ.

Edited by zoomzoom