Sign in to follow this  
BirdDogICT

PC Upgrade Options

I noticed in the system requirements that one of the memory recommendations for a "high end" system is 2GB to 3.5GB (XP)

Any technophiles out there who have upgraded their XP machines from 2GB to 4 GB to run BHAH? Did it improve game performance?

I'm currently running BHaH on a system I built several years ago. I'd love to upgrade, but will have to wait a while. Specs include:

---ASUS A8R32-MVP Motherboard

---2GB of Corsair Twinx2048-4400Pro DDR memory at 275 MHz (DDR 550) at 3-4-4-8 (2T command rate)

---FSB speed of 275 MHZ with HT Link speed of 1375 MHz

---Opteron 185 dual processor overclocked to 3.025 MHz on air (has 1MB L2 cache)

---ATI 512MB HD4870 graphics card (recently added)

My system is completely stable up to 3.1 MHz, and I'm getting great FPS in BHaH with sliders set @ 2-5-2-2-2-1, although I get some stuttering when (I think) textures are loading. I found 2 more GB of the same Corsair memory, and plan to populate all 4 memory slots (that would probably require me to reduce the FSB/memory speed for stability, but I have an unlocked CPU multiplier, so have lots of options). I'm guessing that XP would have about 3.3 GB of addressable memory when I'm done.

Would 4GB of memory improve BHaH performance at all?

BirdDogICT

I noticed in the system requirements that one of the memory recommendations for a "high end" system is 2GB to 3.5GB (XP)

Any technophiles out there who have upgraded their XP machines from 2GB to 4 GB to run BHAH? Did it improve game performance?

I'm currently running BHaH on a system I built several years ago. I'd love to upgrade, but will have to wait a while. Specs include:

---ASUS A8R32-MVP Motherboard

---2GB of Corsair Twinx2048-4400Pro DDR memory at 275 MHz (DDR 550) at 3-4-4-8 (2T command rate)

---FSB speed of 275 MHZ with HT Link speed of 1375 MHz

---Opteron 185 dual processor overclocked to 3.025 MHz on air (has 1MB L2 cache)

---ATI 512MB HD4870 graphics card (recently added)

My system is completely stable up to 3.1 MHz, and I'm getting great FPS in BHaH with sliders set @ 2-5-2-2-2-1, although I get some stuttering when (I think) textures are loading. I found 2 more GB of the same Corsair memory, and plan to populate all 4 memory slots (that would probably require me to reduce the FSB/memory speed for stability, but I have an unlocked CPU multiplier, so have lots of options). I'm guessing that XP would have about 3.3 GB of addressable memory when I'm done.

Would 4GB of memory improve BHaH performance at all?

BirdDogICT

i jumped from 2 to 3, but I also have a who new system based on the I7 Core CPU. It's worth it. BHaH runs real smooth, as does everything else I tossed at it so far including COD5 and Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway... both on full.

i jumped from 2 to 3, but I also have a who new system based on the I7 Core CPU. It's worth it. BHaH runs real smooth, as does everything else I tossed at it so far including COD5 and Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway... both on full.

Glad you're enjoying your I7. With the on-chip memory controllers and faster memory, your bandwidth would be about 25 GB/s versus my 5.5 I can still run Crysis, COD5, etc on max settings, but flight sims are SO demanding.

Like OVS, I have 3 gigs on my XP 32 bit system. I had a problem with my Creative sound card in that the mic did not work, which after many enquiries led me to believe, via a MS Knowledge base answer, was because I had more than 2 gigs of memory.

I now need to use the onboard realtek sound to have a mic.

This may not apply to your rig. It is mentioned in case it becomes relevant.

or get a zx spectrum+.

I must be doing something wrong..I have similar sysytem,and 4gb..but where some have said they run first person shooters with no probs and sims demand more...on mine its the opposite..sims work like a charm maxed out as much as poss with all AA bells n whistles,but my fps seem to struggle.

xx v xx

Edited by racindriver1

or get a zx spectrum+.

I must be doing something wrong..I have similar sysytem,and 4gb..but where some have said they run first person shooters with no probs and sims demand more...on mine its the opposite..sims work like a charm maxed out as much as poss with all AA bells n whistles,but my fps seem to struggle.

xx v xx

Racindriver,

Actually, ALL of my sims and first person shooters run well, but I've had to create custom game profiles for nearly every one through Catalyst Profiles Manager. In most cases optimum graphics settings for ATI and NVidia cards can be found on fanboy sites. It's challenging to find the sweet spot sometimes, especially with older D3D and OpenGL games.

Cheers

I'm having zero problems with a 3.1ghz dual core AMD/ASUS with 4gigs of DDR2 with a 1gig nvidia card using XP 32bit