Sign in to follow this  
gdogtx

Inflight Refueling vs. Carrier Ops

Which is better in a flight sim, interactive in flight refueling or getting to land on a carrier. I know in Ace Combat 6, there was a short scene where one was able to try to hook up to a tanker, and in OverG, one could land on carriers and airbases as well. Which is better in sims (H.A.W.X. by the way has neither of these, as the plane rarely slows below 1000Km/h)

personally i like the in flight refeuling, and i wish it were featured in more sims

Ace Combat 5 had carrier ops.

Ace Combat 4 had mid air refueling.

I've had both in several sims. Other than maybe 2-3 times for novelty's sake I've never much cared for IFR.

Carrier landings I've done a lot more, especially back in Aces of the Pacific, 1942:PAW, and F-14: Fleet Defender. Even all the way back in F-19! :grin:

I still have TK's sims, Il-2, and LOMAC with carrier ops, although I admit I rarely land...but I do takeoff all the time!

The boat, for sure.

Carrier ops are fun and challenging. I wish we'd get more variety in games like Over-G and get to try some night traps, etc. For every trap you get, you should get a cat shot. Coming into the break is fun, too. Been doing it at the field since I got the new Super Hornets, but I've done it here and there with other jets, like the Crusader.

In-flight refueling is cool, just because it is so rarely seen. In AC6, it was almost a waste of time, though, since you just had to not touch anything but throttle and you'd fly right into the basket.

Carriers.

You can fly an eagle without air refuelling it but you cant fly a tomcat without a boat to land on.

Edited by thundercheif

The ability to operate from a carrier (and all the planes to fly) is the main reason I fly TK's sims now and

hardly ever play Falcon 4.0 anymore.

F4 has the VERY challenging ATA refueling routine, but carrier ops just kick a$$

The carrier ops are a little better.

This is one of those times where real life and simulations are almost 180 degrees out from each other.

In any sim with carrier ops, I've never had a problem putting it on deck (with the exception of Harrier ops...that's a challenge on a moving ship). It's pretty straight forward with any kind of skill.

Air refueling, on the other hand, especially in Falcon 4 on full difficulty, is probably one of the most precise (read - tough) things you can do for any length of time. Also, in real military simulators, it can be quite difficult. The main problem with either is lack of depth perception to fine tune your flying.

Now in real life, air refueling is a piece of cake (unless the weather conditions really suck). Formation is no problem with any kind of skill.

Carrier landings on the other hand, are some of the most challenging things you can do in an aircraft (especially a fast mover) in real life, especially if the weather is bad and/or the seas are rough.

So, for the sim, I'll take realistic air refueling over carrier ops any day if I think I need to work on my basic flying skills.

FC

This is one of those times where real life and simulations are almost 180 degrees out from each other.

In any sim with carrier ops, I've never had a problem putting it on deck (with the exception of Harrier ops...that's a challenge on a moving ship). It's pretty straight forward with any kind of skill.

Air refueling, on the other hand, especially in Falcon 4 on full difficulty, is probably one of the most precise (read - tough) things you can do for any length of time. Also, in real military simulators, it can be quite difficult. The main problem with either is lack of depth perception to fine tune your flying.

Now in real life, air refueling is a piece of cake (unless the weather conditions really suck). Formation is no problem with any kind of skill.

Carrier landings on the other hand, are some of the most challenging things you can do in an aircraft (especially a fast mover) in real life, especially if the weather is bad and/or the seas are rough.

So, for the sim, I'll take realistic air refueling over carrier ops any day if I think I need to work on my basic flying skills.

FC

I might add that it depends on what you're driving too. A BUFF is very stable behind a tanker, but needs a great deal of anticipation (call that experience) to be done without a lot of work. I have heard that the Rhino is also very stable behind a tanker. I have also heard that the Viper is just as squirrely in real life as in the F4 sim. It is not necessarily the size of the bird, but the stability that will determine how much work it takes to gas up.

My vote goes to Carrier landings as the most challenging thing a pilot has to do for a living. It is nothing less than a high-speed, constantly changing, do-or-die environment. Just the thing a real pilot goes for............