Sign in to follow this  
MK2

Questions about sqaudrons in 1918 for the experts

Ok let me ask the experts out there a few questions. These do not necessarily relate to OFF only but I would like to find out the info .

1. In 1918 what French escadrilles and British squadrons would have been the most likely to have been involved in a Combat that the 94th or 27th American aero squadron would have been involved in ?

2. What German Jastas opposed the 94th and 27th mostly?

3. As far as airplane make up within the squadrons. I know Germans could have had Fokker DVIIs and a few Dr1s (a mix as an example) in an individual unit but how about the British squadrons? Was it strictly just SE5a and Camels or was there ever a mix? How about French? mostly SPADS? or did they throw in a Nieuport etc.

I wish I knew the answer because it sounds like someone is working on a mission :hi:

MK2,

Here's how a non-expert (me) would approach it.

If you know the aerodromes the 27th and 94th were based at and when you can go here and look at the nearby British and German aerodromes using the cockade and cross filters. This will tell you which Squadrons and Jastas are your 'neighbours'... which are the ones you'd likely meet.

It's not an exact science but in the absence of a definitive historical answer it's a start.

Here's a link to a good Jasta/Squadron/aerodrome finder.

Just click away the nationality you don't want to see, choose "search by..." selection, and you may find, what you wanted.

http://patriot.net/~townsend/WW1AirMap2/

Ok let me ask the experts out there a few questions. These do not necessarily relate to OFF only but I would like to find out the info .

1. In 1918 what French escadrilles and British squadrons would have been the most likely to have been involved in a Combat that the 94th or 27th American aero squadron would have been involved in ?

2. What German Jastas opposed the 94th and 27th mostly?

3. As far as airplane make up within the squadrons. I know Germans could have had Fokker DVIIs and a few Dr1s (a mix as an example) in an individual unit but how about the British squadrons? Was it strictly just SE5a and Camels or was there ever a mix? How about French? mostly SPADS? or did they throw in a Nieuport etc.

MK2,

British fighter sqn practice from 1915 (with the deployment of 11 Sqn on Vickers Gunbuses) was always one squadron, one type. The only time that there would be a mix would be during a transition from old to new, eg from Pup to Camel or from Camel to Snipe, _or_ on the very rare occasions when a particular ace was allowed to have his own private ac (eg Ball, Barker). I believe that French practice was broadly similar, although (from my memories of reading "Falcons of France") there might be mixes of SPAD VIIs and SPAD XIIIs.

BTW the Germans could still have various Albatri (and Pfalz types, esp for Bavarian jastas) mixed in with their Fokkers right up to the Armistice, though I think they did try to stick to one jasta, one type as far as possible.

Mike

Seems like a great tool guys but I can't get it to work. it comes up "error" almost everything I try except aerodromes and then no correlated date.

Try it in Firefox MK2. I think I recall Gimpy said there were problems with it in IE.

If you can't get it to work post the aerodromes and dates you're interested in here and I'll supply the information from the interactive map.

MK2, could you perhaps narrow it down to a month or two period you are interested in? It would make answering the question a bit easier.

Cheers!

Lou

MK2, could you perhaps narrow it down to a month or two period you are interested in? It would make answering the question a bit easier.

Cheers!

Lou

Thanks for all the responses guys, I finally just did it by going into OFF and researching the maps, dates and squadrons..worked well. I think I have what I need now.

MK2,

British fighter sqn practice from 1915 (with the deployment of 11 Sqn on Vickers Gunbuses) was always one squadron, one type. The only time that there would be a mix would be during a transition from old to new, eg from Pup to Camel or from Camel to Snipe, _or_ on the very rare occasions when a particular ace was allowed to have his own private ac (eg Ball, Barker). I believe that French practice was broadly similar, although (from my memories of reading "Falcons of France") there might be mixes of SPAD VIIs and SPAD XIIIs.

BTW the Germans could still have various Albatri (and Pfalz types, esp for Bavarian jastas) mixed in with their Fokkers right up to the Armistice, though I think they did try to stick to one jasta, one type as far as possible.

Mike

The interesting thing is that the general wisdom was that the Albratros D.V series of aircraft (including the a variant) were actually the most numerous German scouts through most of 1918 due to dwindling production capacity for the Germans. Yeah the D.VII was there, but they struggled to produce enough.