Sign in to follow this  
redwolf

Parity in the skies...when?

Thought of this question while reading through another thread, but decided to make it a new post...

I'm more knowledgeable of WWII, but I'm gaining more and more WWI knowledge as I do more reading about it. It is characterized by what seems like constant shifting of the superior planes from one side to the other as the war progressed. Here's my question:

What period of the war do you feel had the greatest parity between the aerial forces? Or perhaps in other words, when was the aerial fight the fairest?

Would love to hear your responses and I think this may be an interesting read. Thanks.

At the very start.... when both sides were waving at each other as they flew past :biggrin:

lolz.

If it wasn't for the allies superiority in numbers towards the end, i'd say the Germans had technical superiority with their Fokker DVII (except for the Snipe). Note it was the only aircraft named specifically by name in the armistice. It was a good fighter, better than the Camel, Spad XIII or SE5a. Then again, often it was the pilot that made the difference when aircraft were similar enough.

At that early stage of aircraft development though, as they learned different techniques and designs, and engine power increased, its interesting to see the technological "steps" in aircraft development as each side tried to design better machines.

Its the "simple" things of course that made such a huge impact. The Fokker Eindecker, for example, was a truly unremarkable aircraft performance wise. Even "archaic" at that early time with low powered engine and wing warping, but the interrupter gear made it a lethal weapon. Even more interesting is the ability of the DH2, a pusher aircraft, to outfly it and, with the Nieuport 11 (without interrupter), effectively bring to an end the Fokker Scourge, as they called it. Whats even more remarkable is the very small numbers of Fokker Eindeckers produced and in service at the front at any one time, yet they were the bane of allied aircrews for a while.

Another interesting point, is that while the likes of Oswald Boelcke basically is the father of air warfare, and encouraged the forming of Jasta's of fighters to operate together, it was the British, with 24 squadron, that first produced the worlds first single seat fighter squadron, made up entirely of fighters. The Germans still had mixed squadrons of Fokkers and two seater recon planes, but used the Fokkers of a few squadrons together.

Then of course the DH2's etc were outclassed in turn by the Halberstadts and Albatross D.I etc, and it was really the allies insistence on numbers that led to "Bloody April" 1917, as aircraft like the Camel etc were already flying, but the allies had pushed ahead with older designs in the belief that numbers would win it. At the same time of course they also had to support the offensives over German lines, so the Germans could fight in their own territory with wind on their side, usually height advantage, and generally better aircraft. Prime ingredients for a slaughter.

Of course, thats my memory of the textbooks and history journals :pardon:

At the very start.... when both sides were waving at each other as they flew past :biggrin:

lolz.

If it wasn't for the allies superiority in numbers towards the end, i'd say the Germans had technical superiority with their Fokker DVII (except for the Snipe). Note it was the only aircraft named specifically by name in the armistice. It was a good fighter, better than the Camel, Spad XIII or SE5a. Then again, often it was the pilot that made the difference when aircraft were similar enough.

At that early stage of aircraft development though, as they learned different techniques and designs, and engine power increased, its interesting to see the technological "steps" in aircraft development as each side tried to design better machines.

Its the "simple" things of course that made such a huge impact. The Fokker Eindecker, for example, was a truly unremarkable aircraft performance wise. Even "archaic" at that early time with low powered engine and wing warping, but the interrupter gear made it a lethal weapon. Even more interesting is the ability of the DH2, a pusher aircraft, to outfly it and, with the Nieuport 11 (without interrupter), effectively bring to an end the Fokker Scourge, as they called it. Whats even more remarkable is the very small numbers of Fokker Eindeckers produced and in service at the front at any one time, yet they were the bane of allied aircrews for a while.

Another interesting point, is that while the likes of Oswald Boelcke basically is the father of air warfare, and encouraged the forming of Jasta's of fighters to operate together, it was the British, with 24 squadron, that first produced the worlds first single seat fighter squadron, made up entirely of fighters. The Germans still had mixed squadrons of Fokkers and two seater recon planes, but used the Fokkers of a few squadrons together.

Then of course the DH2's etc were outclassed in turn by the Halberstadts and Albatross D.I etc, and it was really the allies insistence on numbers that led to "Bloody April" 1917, as aircraft like the Camel etc were already flying, but the allies had pushed ahead with older designs in the belief that numbers would win it. At the same time of course they also had to support the offensives over German lines, so the Germans could fight in their own territory with wind on their side, usually height advantage, and generally better aircraft. Prime ingredients for a slaughter.

Of course, thats my memory of the textbooks and history journals :pardon:

Pretty well sums it up!...Nice piece :good:

Almost fair and equal seem to me:

late 1916: Albatros D II against Nupe 16

late summer 1917: Dr.1 and Pfalz D IIIa against Camel and S.E.5a (before the D VII came)

That's, fair by plane types - not by numbers. It's what I learnt in OFF - not founded by books or data. Rather my feeling, so to say.

Edited by Olham