Sign in to follow this  
Dirk98

Realistic map navigation in OFF!

What a relief. I now fly OFF and navigate without the radar and gps. As a consequence I don't use warp or time acceleration any more. It has become all different game flying by the map: you need to stay in the formation, orientate all the time and look out for enemies.

I've got 2nd PC in my LAN and in the very beginning of each flight in 3D I pull up the game's GPS map and take 1-2 screenshots. Then I open the screenshot from my 2nd PC and use it as a flight map. Airfields are EXACTLY the landmarks that eventually enable you to navigate. Also you have to memorize how the surroundings of your field look from above (a town in the north-east or a forest block in the west etc.), you have to keep an eye on the compass and note the clock all the time. Usually it is harder to find the way back to your field than to navigate to the target with your formation. But after a few flights you become proficient with it and forget about the CFS3's immersion killers. This game has seriously changed to the much much better experience since I employed this first.

The important implication is that I can fianlly play it and navigate 100% with my eye only as, I think, it was originally supposed to be played with so much detail in the wondeful wondeful scenery without missing any of it.

Map.jpg

:good:

Thanks!

Dirk.

More beautiful 'screenshots' :)

CIMG0319.jpg

It's very much inspiring. Zoom in to see the details in the screenshots. :yes:

Edited by Dirk98

What a relief. I now fly OFF and navigate without the radar and gps. As a consequence I don't use warp or time acceleration any more. It has become all different game flying by the map: you need to stay in the formation, orientate all the time and look out for enemies.

I've got 2nd PC in my LAN and in the very beginning of each flight in 3D I pull up the game's GPS map and take 1-2 screenshots. Then I open the screenshot from my 2nd PC and use it as a flight map. Airfields are EXACTLY the landmarks that eventually enable you to navigate. Also you have to memorize how the surroundings of your field look from above (a town in the north-east or a forest block in the west etc.), you have to keep an eye on the compass and note the clock all the time. Usually it is harder to find the way back to your field than to navigate to the target with your formation. But after a few flights you become proficient with it and forget about the CFS3's immersion killers. This game has seriously changed to the much much better experience since I employed this first.

The important implication is that I can fianlly play it and navigate 100% with my eye only as, I think, it was originally supposed to be played with so much detail in the wondeful wondeful scenery without missing any of it.

Map.jpg

:good:

Thanks!

Dirk.

Dirk I think we all use the Map as its the most realistic way to fly - I just press the M key and pop it up as I fly - look at it to get bearings - yes airfields and frontlines are good landmarks - and close it again - thats it!

Map is always one key press away...

HTH

WM

Dirk I think we all use the Map as its the most realistic way to fly - I just press the M key and pop it up as I fly - look at it to get bearings - yes airfields and frontlines are good landmarks - and close it again - thats it!

Map is always one key press away...

...which brings the next big question: is it possible to remove the GPS moving sprite on that map? If not, then back to what was posted above (otherwise GPS is just GPS, or moving map, i.e. motivation killers).

Gimpy, btw, you don't need any powerful computer for that, any PCI or onboard video with an older monitor would be enough. Older monitors don't cost anything these days. It's space on you desk that may be costy. Try it if you can, you'll love it.

Thanks,

Dirk.

PS: if, and only if, the map can be set fixed (not moving) and the GPS sign turned off, then it will be even better than my 2-nd screen, trust me on that.

Edited by Dirk98

...which brings the next big question: is it possible to remove the GPS moving sprite on that map? If not, then back to what was posted above (otherwise GPS is just GPS, or moving map, i.e. motivation killers).

Gimpy, btw, you don't need any powerful computer for that, any PCI or onboard video with an older monitor would be enough. Older monitors don't cost anything these days. It's space on you desk that may be costy. Try it if you can, you'll love it.

Thanks,

Dirk.

PS: if, and only if, the map can be set fixed (not moving) and the GPS sign turned off, then it will be even better than my 2-nd screen, trust me on that.

Oh right I missed that - you prefer to not see where you are on the map - the wee aircraft icon?

Good one!

WM

Oh right I missed that - you prefer to not see where you are on the map - the wee aircraft icon?

Good one!

WM

Sure, no aircraft icon and NO moving map neither, pls. The difference may sound subtle, unless you try to take off with no CFS3 cheating tools and fly the combat task all the way to the assigned area and back to your field navigating, not cheating. And that's when your eyes, the wonderful scenery below, the only screenshot of the map (on your 2nd monitor), compass and clock will all start clicking together as they should.

Thanks,

Dirk.

Edited by Dirk98

Sure, no aircraft icon and NO moving map neither, pls. The difference may sound subtle, unless you try to take off with no CFS3 cheating tools and fly the combat task all the way to the assigned area and back to your field navigating, not cheating. And that's when your eyes, the wonderful scenery below, the only screenshot of the map (on your 2nd monitor), compass and clock will all start clicking together as they should.

Thanks,

Dirk.

Dirk: Have you tried printing up some real, historical maps and using them? I just uploaded a series of the Western Front and another of the Somme that I did. (click here)

To me, the paper maps are a lot more immersive then the screen map and you can make notes on them for way points, encounters, etc.

Here's a segment from the Somme set I just uploaded:

2B%20letter%20forum.jpg

Hehe, Rabu, we were posting at the same time! And I'll repeat my plead:

SOME COMPUTER-SAVVY AND KIND SOLE, PLEASE ADD THE INGAME AIRFIELDS TO RABU'S MAP!!!

And post it for download. :)

Thanks,

Dirk.

Edited by Dirk98

Dirk: Have you tried printing up some real, historical maps and using them?

For me personally the trade off between the time rquired and immersion would be the image of your map with the ingame airfields on my 2nd monitor. Or even better a fixed ingame map without GPS in OFF3's 3D with the fixed game's flight plan, airfields and the frontline. That'd be the sweet point, whereas you would not need to mess long with the paper in your lap, but would still need to poke out from the crate and use your eyes, watch the scenery landmarks below, use the compass and the clock.

Thanks,

Dirk.

Edited by Dirk98

Is there any possibility that the dev's could create an option where one could remove the own plane map icon?

I too would very much like that option, it adds wonders to immersion. Not to mention the fact that it keeps one busy when enroute to their stations...trying to pinpoint where they are.

Dirk98,

I can't see how you perceive this as a "problem". You state that what you want is to NOT have the miniature aircraft sprite moving along the waypoint line, as it would be better (or more realistic) to try to pick exactly where you were without the sprite indicating your present position. You'd also like the map to be stationary, and not centred on your aircraft's position at any time.

If you take a screenshot of the map at mission briefing time, that screenshot is a static picture, and will not move. The miniature aircraft sprite is located at your airfield. and not too much in the way. It will only be in the way as you near your airfield (if your map is zoomed right out). But as you pride yourself in being able to look over the side and recognize landmarks, rivers, towns, rail lines etc, I'm sure you will be able to navigate your way home from anywhere in a 10 mile radius of your airfield, as you would be very familiar with all the local landmarks.

The screenshot that you take, zoomed in or out to depict your entire route will be static and unmoving, and therefore, might as well be paper hard copy. You just won't be fumbling with it in your lap as you fly and try to navigate, it is depicted on the screen next to you. As your example shows, you have zoomed in to maximum to allow a larger presentation on your second PC screen. If you depart from your flightpath by a mile or so at the extremities of your map (say for instance if you are involved in combat, or evading enemies or simply lost in a heavy cloud bank), you will be completely lost as your position will not be on that map at all. In that case, you will be forced to revert to your "In Flight Map" ("M").

For the total immersion that you desire, you might need to print out rabu's maps and laminate them (so you can write on them again and again with a chinagraph pencil, and then rub it off to use the next mission). Carefully plot the in-game airfields with a pen (don't need to be computer savvy to do that), laminate them, the write in the waypoints in chinagraph and take off. As stated earlier, you can also record encounters on there for your claims reports etc.

Edited by Check Six

Wow, great thread about pushing up the immersion and reality level (I wonder why Creaghorn isn't here yet? Lol!).

What I did, when I had a serious longer lasting pilot, I screenshot the area in Google maps (set on "terrain"), and

compiled a map of six parts made that way. But it still had no aerodromes in it.

Dej is working on an addition to Google maps, where he put in the known aerodromes, together with a part of the

old field/trench maps I found some time ago. Don't know how far he has got.

RABU, your map looks great - I think, I'll give those a try and add the aerodromes of my area myself, as CheckSix

suggested.

And now for soenthing completely different:

How could it be, that I have never noticed Dirk98 or Nordo here before? You two, would you please send me a PM

with your hometown and country - I'd like to add you to the OFF Pilots Map. Thanks!

Anything that "ups" the immersion factor..I enjoy.

>> For the total immersion that you desire, you might need to print out rabu's maps and laminate them (so you can write on them again and again with a chinagraph pencil, and then rub it off to use the next mission). Carefully plot the in-game airfields with a pen (don't need to be computer savvy to do that), laminate them, the write in the waypoints in chinagraph and take off.<<

I have done this in the past when I had the time; and it's very enjoyable, challenging and immersive.

Also I imagine that those pilots we try and replicate/simulate, didn't get nicely printed maps of their missions. They probably took whatever they were given, depending, "marked in" any landmarks or intelligence available, and off they went.

Seems like Rabu has provided just that opportunity with his maps..IMHO

Regards,

Royce

I've been using Rabu's maps, as well as a few others I have, for quite some time now. The first thing I do when assigned to a new AO is to fly a few "cook's tours" in order to jot down drome locations, railyards, balloons, and other distinguishing features. I don't use the in-game map at all anymore in my DiD campaigns. If I get lost, I fly in a direction known to get me back to my side of the lines and hope I run across something that looks familiar, just like they did back in WWI. If my compass is broken I look for the sun, and if its cloudy I take my best SWAG. I'm all about the immersion. smile.gif

Cheers!

Lou

Wow, you guys impress me much!

I shall give that total immersion flying a try myself this weekend.

As stated, no need for a second monitor, just screenshot the map one time before leaving for your first flight and print it for future reference (zoom as suits your taste). I use quick hand-drawn maps; that works too.

Yes, the airfields are the best landmarks for navigation...easy to spot from long distances. Add in the cities and the frontline and there is no need to worry about roads and rivers for navigation. It is not difficult, and easily doubles the feeling of being there. Yes you get lost sometimes or hit the wrong target...just how it should be in real life.

The inflight map is of course a no-no...totally tells you were you are as already stated. I use it only if i land first at a friendly airfield or town (simulates landing and asking directions) then head off again.

Just my opinion, but if you aren't navigating, you are to some extent playing a game rather than a simulation, but realize not everyone wants to do it or has the time.

Wow, great thread about pushing up the immersion and reality level (I wonder why Creaghorn isn't here yet? Lol!).

i would love to use a real map, but since i use warp in a tactical manner (to regroup my flight when seperating from a fight for instance) it wouldn't make sense because i might get thrown out somewhere where i wouldn't have a clou where i am. would be a feeling like a sleepwalker who wakes up in the middle of nowhere. real map will be an option for me as soon as both AI know how to seperate again.

Dirk: Have you tried printing up some real, historical maps and using them? I just uploaded a series of the Western Front and another of the Somme that I did. (click here)

To me, the paper maps are a lot more immersive then the screen map and you can make notes on them for way points, encounters, etc.

Here's a segment from the Somme set I just uploaded:

I love your maps and use them each time I fly. I've got them in heavy, clear folders so I can write or trace routes. I also use them to document where my kills are when turning in claims.

There's nothing like flying along looking down at the map to see where you and then looking up and over the side to see you've been in a mild turn or downward glide. Can be very exhileratiing.

plug_nickel (Al)

ps..is using a grease pencil cheating?

ps..is using a grease pencil cheating?

Not as long as it's mica axle grease, Al. smile.gif

Cheers!

Lou

Not as long as it's mica axle grease, Al. smile.gif

Cheers!

Lou

Love it...lol...Point taken. I'll switch to a crayon for more authenticity.

p_n (Al)