Sign in to follow this  
Fubar512

Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag

Is it as 'Hollywood' as "Top Gun"?

The Blu-Ray version is hell of awesome. Its a documentary rather than a movie, but it doesn't go into the kind of detail that we aficionados would like. The aerial footage is outstanding though.

Is that the one that was like an Air Force recruitment video? The one with a bunch of CG dogfighting shots and everybody cracking open a cold one at the end?

EDIT: Yeah, it is. Lots of cheese there. Saw it at the USAF museum in Dayton a while back.

Edited by gbnavy61

Is that the one that was like an Air Force recruitment video? The one with a bunch of CG dogfighting shots and everybody cracking open a cold one at the end?

No its mostly footage of a Red Flag exercise with commentary. Its pretty pro-USAF obviously.

i brought it Last time i visited US...too bad it just run on my xbox360(yeah, US model) too bad my father don't allow me to plug it on bigger tv and home theater.so i just can watch in my room.

No its mostly footage of a Red Flag exercise with commentary. Its pretty pro-USAF obviously.

Hey, of course its pro-USAF. Who invented the concept and paid for the whole shootin' match? Bye the way, Navy crowd, who's your daddy now!!

First time I saw this in the IMAX theater at the Smithsonian Air and Space museum, I marched out the exit and bought it. Slippin' the surlies never looked so good.....

Bye the way, Navy crowd, who's your daddy now!!

Wait, say again?

gallery_23625_258_51676.jpg

(USAF)

gallery_23625_258_7610.gif

(USN)

Wait, say again?

I wanna take off from a carrier some day before I die

Strap that Viper to a catapult and watch that sucker fly

200 knots in under 2 seconds

That's my kinda fun

Do a barrel roll just after takeoff

Just like in Top Gun

But I don't wanna land

Allow me to explain and you'll understand

'Cause it ain't about the landing

Why would I care?

You never have a crosswind and you never have to flare

You got 4 #$%^&*@ wires, how could you miss?

I can't think of anything that's easier than this

But once you're on the deck my friend you'll never be the same

'Cause you're stuck on a boat in the middle of nowhere with five thousand other men

Join the navy? I don't think so

Living on a boat? I don't think so

Hot bunking? I don't think so

Doing night traps?@#$! that! I don't think so

Sure I thought about the Navy but decided to pass

I love my five star hotels and per diem out the ass

I do all of my fighting well within the shore

Cable TV and cappuccinos - that's the way that you fight a war

This spoiled life - it can grow old

When the coffee ain't fresh, the sheets ain't soft and the beer is only somewhat cold

I rented red flag. It was okay, but some oth the stuff was kinda whizmical, like the 3D imaging in the AWACS and the F-15 outmanuvering the F-16. And the landing shots where it shows an F-15 on approach and then an F-18 landing were a bit annoying. But at least it didn't have some big movie star pretending to fly.

I rented red flag. It was okay, but some oth the stuff was kinda whizmical, like the 3D imaging in the AWACS and the F-15 outmanuvering the F-16.

It's my understanding that above 450 knots or so, the F-16 cannot hold a turn with an F-15C. The Viper's rate of climb is also inferior to the '15C's, though its roll rate is faster. There is, however, at least one or two members here at CA that are much more qualified to answer that, from, ummmm, shall we say experience? :biggrin:

Speed & Angels over this anytime. It is outstanding on Blu Ray. The cheese factor is almost non-existent compared to this movie/documentary.

Edited by AOCbravo2004

Don't start folks...if I think I see a USAF/USN "whose **** is bigger" thread start, I'll shut down this thread.

I am not in the mood for dealing with pissing matches today.

FC

Don't start folks...if I think I see a USAF/USN "whose **** is bigger" thread start, I'll shut down this thread.

BECAUSE MINE IS DA BIGGEST :minigun:

Sorry, i couldn´t avoid it

FC

Mood swings, FC. Get help soon........

A friend of mine has a copy of that, awesome footage, although his wife and I both wondered why they'd chosen what sounded like the most uncharismatic* man in NATO to narrate it. I was also disappointed by the half second shot of a Sea Harrier's tail! That aside it's definitely worth watching and I've been meaning to find a copy of it on PAL format DVD for a while.

*To be fair anyone who's seen my interview training tape tends to ask why the short bloke doesn't do anything apart from laugh at the tall bloke so I'm not exactly great TV myself.

Edited by SkippyBing

FC

Oh come on man, you know how it is, nobody is serious, it is all in good fun, and certainly no one really takes offense to any inter-service or inter-career field ribbing. At the end of the day everyone, for the most part, respects each other and understands it is just part of being in the military, it is the 2nd thing you learn: "talking smack."

It only becomes a real problem when someone who has never worn a uniform gets involved.

Yeah, besides we all know it's the Border Patrol who are the REAL men!! :biggrin:

Assuming that this is the same documentary, and for anyone who's interested, I found it on You Tube a short while ago:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxqTMVkfJkA

It's my understanding that above 450 knots or so, the F-16 cannot hold a turn with an F-15C. The Viper's rate of climb is also inferior to the '15C's, though its roll rate is faster. There is, however, at least one or two members here at CA that are much more qualified to answer that, from, ummmm, shall we say experience? :biggrin:

Below 20,000 feet an A-4F can out-turn an F-15. Everything depends on forcing the enemy to fight in the regime where your plane performs best, or so I am led to believe. :biggrin:

Also, at Red Flag I am sure that the adversary pilots do not go out to win every fight at all costs--they are there to mimic enemy tactics and allow the student pilots to win if they use the correct counter-tactics.

Hey, of course its pro-USAF. Who invented the concept and paid for the whole shootin' match? Bye the way, Navy crowd, who's your daddy now!!

No argument from me--Top Gun is a bombing school now! :haha:

No argument from me--Top Gun is a bombing school now! :haha:

Ouch!!!!

i think this thread will end up in a US Army gun fire

"get cover!"

Also, at Red Flag I am sure that the adversary pilots do not go out to win every fight at all costs--they are there to mimic enemy tactics and allow the student pilots to win if they use the correct counter-tactics.

That would explain an F-16 getting waxed by an F-15, but in the movie it shows the eagle doing the "Area 88" manuver (pop out the air brakes and DO A BARREL ROLL, forcing an overshoot), and the fact that it was illustrated in the AWACS by a 3-D imaging system similar to the replay mode in Ace Combat just made me laugh.