Sign in to follow this  
ADDAX

Possible Campaign Bug?

Hi gang,

I've been having a great time with OFF P3 for a while now...

However, I've noticed what seems to be an error in the Enemy Aircraft Availability scripting in the campaign system.

Specifically, I'm flying a DH2 for the British in RFC 29, in May of 1916 and I'm already having to go up against Halberstadt DII's and Albatross DII's. This seemed a bit off so I did some double checking and it seems like the historical consensus is that Halb DII's weren't available untill July of '16 (off by a couple months, I can live with that) and Alb' DII's were'nt available untill October of '16 at the earliest. That's out by six months!

In order to check if it wasn't just a hisorical disagreement I went through the start dates of several of the Jasta's in the Enlist New Pilots screen, and could not find any that showed Alb' DII's showing up before November. So it seems that from a player's squadron perspective the dates are correct.

The only possibility I can think of is that since I've played a lot of quick combat missions with this pilot (and been shot down several times), that each time I've been hospitalized the game has advanced the timeline under the hood of the campaign system, yet not in the interface of my Pilot Dossier.

Further, a friend of mine who I've convinced to jump on the OFF wagon, has also seen Enemy Aircraft types showing up early in his campaign.

Has anyone else seen this?

Any Ideas how to get around it?

Thanks in advance...

Hi gang,

I've been having a great time with OFF P3 for a while now...

However, I've noticed what seems to be an error in the Enemy Aircraft Availability scripting in the campaign system.

Specifically, I'm flying a DH2 for the British in RFC 29, in May of 1916 and I'm already having to go up against Halberstadt DII's and Albatross DII's. This seemed a bit off so I did some double checking and it seems like the historical consensus is that Halb DII's weren't available untill July of '16 (off by a couple months, I can live with that) and Alb' DII's were'nt available untill October of '16 at the earliest. That's out by six months!

In order to check if it wasn't just a hisorical disagreement I went through the start dates of several of the Jasta's in the Enlist New Pilots screen, and could not find any that showed Alb' DII's showing up before November. So it seems that from a player's squadron perspective the dates are correct.

The only possibility I can think of is that since I've played a lot of quick combat missions with this pilot (and been shot down several times), that each time I've been hospitalized the game has advanced the timeline under the hood of the campaign system, yet not in the interface of my Pilot Dossier.

Further, a friend of mine who I've convinced to jump on the OFF wagon, has also seen Enemy Aircraft types showing up early in his campaign.

Has anyone else seen this?

Any Ideas how to get around it?

Thanks in advance...

Best we can do with the limited amount of aircraft. If we get the Fokker E.IV and maybe the Fokker D.II, we can move things around a little better. Right now, it's the best we could do without having the campaigns shut down when an airplane is unavailable.

Also.. the Pflaz E series... that would be nice too. ;)

OvS

Something I noticed today too. I was flying with Esc 15 around the middle of 1916, and my flight of Nieuport 11s encountered 5 Fokker E.IIIs from Jasta 6. I like to play with labels on just in case I run into someone important. This time I did! I ran into Oswald Boelcke and Bruno Loerzer. At first I thought, "woohoo, I finally ran into someone of note." Then I realized, "wait a tick," Jasta 6, Boelcke, Loerzer? This can't be right? I thought maybe I was just missing something, so I did some research, and I never found either of them in any Jasta 6 rosters. Might this be a glitch on my end with some kind of corruption of pilot files or something? Or something else? :)

Something I noticed today too. I was flying with Esc 15 around the middle of 1916, and my flight of Nieuport 11s encountered 5 Fokker E.IIIs from Jasta 6. I like to play with labels on just in case I run into someone important. This time I did! I ran into Oswald Boelcke and Bruno Loerzer. At first I thought, "woohoo, I finally ran into someone of note." Then I realized, "wait a tick," Jasta 6, Boelcke, Loerzer? This can't be right? I thought maybe I was just missing something, so I did some research, and I never found either of them in any Jasta 6 rosters. Might this be a glitch on my end with some kind of corruption of pilot files or something? Or something else? :)

They were there on a semi-official hush-hush mission to boost the morale of the Jasta 6 chappies.

BHaH is such a step forward in details, that I believe, the devs are quite aware of the incorrect bits yet in there.

And that they will work on that, to get it more correct. I mean, they have a "research man" like Shredward, and that man knows his data, definitely.

But as there is so much data and detail to get correctly placed, we could give them some time to do so.

I don't know any other game, that could provide us with such a cornucopia of lovingly made details - visual and data.

And if anyone should say, this was just friendly flattery - yes, it is. With all my honesty.

Questions for Shredward really, there could be some substitution in places as we have 39 variants to fill a war with... out of hundreds of craft that should be in WW1 as OvS says.

Normally they appear at the right times, but in some places may have DII when it should be DI for example. or a EIII when it should be an EI. Otherwise who are you going to shoot?

It takes a loooong time to make the craft, add data for squads, make skins, research etc. so may be a while before we have 100's in there.

I totally understand the limitations of aircraft availablility with respect to creating aircraft models and FM's for the game. Further, for the sake of gameplay, I support using standins for types that are not yet created.

I flew 3 more sorties last night hoping to find a specific enemy flight from a specific squadron that I could check against the availability as referenced in the Select a Squad screen for Enlisting new pilots. However last night all I ever encountered were Fokker E III's.

Without a specific example this suggestion carries less weight, but it seemed to me that there is an incosistency between the population of Aircraft types over time in a given Jasta - when it's an enemy Squadron driven by the campaign system, as opposed to when it's a player squadron chosen when enlisting a new pilot.

Do these two systems draw from the same database?

Best we can do with the limited amount of aircraft.

Prior to the summer of 1916 there should be no Halb DIIs or Alb D2s showing up, as correctly stated.

Perhaps I am missing some point of logic, but why use planes from other time periods of the war as stand-ins when there are correct-period craft available for the job.

The EIII is available to cover that time period in the game. Why not just use the EIII as the default stand-in for any fighters that are not modelled (like the Fokker D2, EIV etc.).

Because if a Squadron had a DI then a DII then a DIII, and we do not have a DI model..

and lets say your brit squadron would fight that squadron a lot. We have dilemas ... make them incorrectly fly a EIII instead (also in the wrong period perhaps) when the squadron may also never have flown an EIII at all anyway (bad) ... or we use an existing model that they did fly.. but substitute it for an earlier or later model, or we totally kill usage of that squadron for that period - and so you have no enemy nearby ;)

Any of those aren't 100% great.

Also from a player point of view we either start the squadron with "craft not available" warning so confuses some people who do not realise you can choose another date...

Also if a player is in a squadron and wants to fly the whole life of the squadron, but right in the middle his N17 gets replaced with a N23 which isn't in the game??

Believe it or not we have thought long and hard about all sorts of issues unseen to the player and we think made the right choices in places.

Shredward would be able to comment in more detail hopefully...

My brain is fried anyway :)

They were there on a semi-official hush-hush mission to boost the morale of the Jasta 6 chappies.

Well then I guess since I shot down Boelcke their morale must be in the crapper! :biggrin: