Sign in to follow this  
DarthRevan

A just wondering question

Which plane can you say has taken over the "Sandy" role? I know in nam it was the Skyraider but which plane has the "Sandy" role in modern wars

depends on the service for the marines it's the harrier II for the USAF it could be A-10, F-16 etc depends how modern you want to go.

The A-10 was designed to replace the A-1 with the addition of "tank busting" to the CAS role. The losing Northrop A-9 (looked like an Su-25 in many respects) didn't have the massive gun and was pretty much pure CAS, no tank busting.

The AV-8B serves that role for the USMC, but it can't hold what an A-1 or A-10 can.

AFAIR, the A-7D took over the Sandy role during the Vietnam war, and probably would have done so until the service entry of the A-10/AV-8.

As far as the CAS role in Afghanistan goes, the B-1B and the A-10 are pretty much it. Yes, I said B-1 and CAS in the same sentence. JDAMs are a beautiful thing. Especially with 28 of them and 10 hours of fuel to spare.

Edited by CowboyTodd41

The last Desert Rescue exercise I participated in as NAS Fallon back in the 90's teamed us with A-10's as Sandy's. I still have the spent 30mm casing given to me by their ammo troops in the living room cabinet, next to the wife's fine dinnerware :cool:

Edited by firehawkordy